Seasoning Cast Iron Pans/pots

dutchman

KI7KSV
What process do you guys use to season your cast iron pans/pots, cooking things? I started looking around with webs and found 75 different ways, so I thought I'd ask here.

The_Lobbster

I first wash mine, then put in the oven at 400 for 20 minutes to dry, then I wipe down inside with vegetable oil, and place upside down in the oven for an hour. After the hour, I shut it off, and just let it cool with the oven, another hour or so probably. That's the directions that came with it when I bought it.

Tebbsjeep

I use a salt/oil combo to scrub mine clean after using it. Then a quick rinse in hot water to get the salt pieces out. Put it back on the stove top to evaporate the water, and then coat with oil and heat until it barely starts to smoke. Then I toss it in the oven to cool. This is what my parents did with our dutch ovens and skillets growing up. Food always tastes great, and they have dutch ovens that are 30+ years old. Very rarely do we use soap to clean them, and that's only if food was left in them and they got nasty.

dutchman

KI7KSV
Do you guys cook the bacon in another pan and then use the grease? Or, cook the bacon in the cast iron after an initial seasoning?

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
My process: initial wash with soap and water, dry. Coat with a very very thin layer of veg oil and placed upside down in your outside grill if you can. Heat at 350-400F until the smoke stops (that’s why I do it out outside). Let cool and repeat if the surface still looks dull.

After each use I scrub with water and a spatula or a brush. Rinse/dry/light light coating of veg oil and store.

Did I mention light coats? Too much oil will make for a sorta sticky gummy coating.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I’d probably not cook bacon initially since it may stick before you get a good coating. But bacon right after isn’t a bad idea :)

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I use bacon grease or flax seed oil. Key is to get the pan good and warm, almost too hot to touch, and then a light coat of your chosen oil. Bake the stink out of it at 500 for an hour, upside down with a crappy cookie sheet or something underneath, let it cool until you can handle it with your bare hands, do it again three or four more times. The key is to go extremely light with the oil, as light as you can get and still get complete coverage. Wait until the wife is away for the day and open all the doors and windows because you will hotbox the **** out of your house.

Kevin B.

^ I've tried both ways and I get better results in the oven. That may be because I have a crappy grill with fluctuating heat levels?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've done it on the grill outside as well and its worked well while keeping the smoke out of the house.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I use bacon grease or flax seed oil. Key is to get the pan good and warm, almost too hot to touch, and then a light coat of your chosen oil. Bake the stink out of it at 500 for an hour, upside down with a crappy cookie sheet or something underneath, let it cool until you can handle it with your bare hands, do it again three or four more times. The key is to go extremely light with the oil, as light as you can get and still get complete coverage. Wait until the wife is away for the day and open all the doors and windows because you will hotbox the **** out of your house.

this

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
We always cook off our pans to bare cast iron then flaxseed. Our oldest one's are the best pans. The older ones have the tighter the grain it seems.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Just a disclaimer, if it's a new pan I do the seasoning, if it's something I've been using and it's already been seasoned I just wash with water and a brush then stick it on the stove and heat it long enough to make sure it's dry.

Kevin B.

Just a disclaimer, if it's a new pan I do the seasoning, if it's something I've been using and it's already been seasoned I just wash with water and a brush then stick it on the stove and heat it long enough to make sure it's dry.

I like to scrub with rock salt, unless it's super greasy and then I'll use a little soap.