Seeking Info on Infrequently Used/Old Hard Trails

rwalk

Hey everyone, I've been doing a lot of research recently trying to find more hard trails (7/10+) throughout Utah. Seems as though there are a lot that either never became popular or died off over time, and I'm looking to see if anyone has more information on them (conditions, locations, etc.). I've talked to a few of you on here already, but wanted to open it up for a larger discussion. Also looking for any suggestions on trails not listed here to try out that may not be as well known!

Richfield Area:
Backside of the Sergent
Dairy Canyon to Flat Canyon
The "NS" Road RZR TRAIL NOW
Crazy 8

Delta/Millard County:
Cat Canyon WILDERNESS STUDY AREA
Chainsaw
Saw Mill
Hell's Backbone
No Way Hill

Juab County:
New Helldorado
Anarchy Alley
Devil's Backbone (Maybe the same as Hell's backbone above??)

Kanab Area:
Hog Canyon OHV 4x4 Trails

Cedar City Area:
3 Peaks Recreation Area (Rock course + 4x4 Trails)
---> I believe Dam Road, Wrecking Yard, and Wild Wild West are some of these trails?

Moab:
Killer Kane IMPASSIBLE DUE TO ROCKSLIDE
Proving Ground PURCHASED BY DEVELOPER
Suicidal Tendencies

SW Utah:
Ash Creek (Maybe the same as Wrecking Yard in 3 Peaks?)
Chokecherry Point Trail
Manera Wash
Pinnacles/Big Hill Trail
Rattlesnake Gulch
Savage Point
Skull Canyon
Toms Canyon Trail
The Squeeze

Thanks for any info, let's get a run planned for some of these and keep them alive!

Last edited:

rwalk

I don't know most of those, but I can tell you Cat Canyon is Wilderness and Killer Kane was closed by a rockfall and never cleared.

Just did some more reading and it looks like you're right about Cat Canyon - it is part of the King Top wilderness study area if anyone was curious, I know a while back a lot of people were looking for info on the closure in a thread I just read

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
There is a trail in southern Utah that hasn't been run for a while and only a hand full of people know about called the Squeeze. It's by the gunlock reservoir area. It's a solid 7-10. Dependent on flash flooding ect.

rholbrook

I don't know most of those, but I can tell you Cat Canyon is Wilderness and Killer Kane was closed by a rockfall and never cleared.
I have ridden Killer Kane a couple of times. There is in fact a few really big rocks in the middle of the trail blocking it from anything bigger than a dirt bike I went to run it 2 years ago and they had a gate up stating it’s closure. It’s a bummer because it was a fun trail. We always came out Cliff Hanger when we ran it

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Richfield Area:
Backside of the Sergent. Never heard of it. Location?
Dairy Canyon to Flat Canyon. Has been pretty easy with by passes for sxs. Has what we call the play ground just off the north side of the road before you enter rocky canyon. Also changes with flood waters.
The "NS" Road. Never heard of it. Location?
Crazy 8. We run it all the time, up it and down it. It changes drastically with the flood waters usually getting better. Havent been up since the last few months of rain. Im excited to see the changes.

We have other no named trails.

rwalk

Neither of the ones you hadn't heard of sound hard, but I figured it was in the same area as some others. Here's the info I had on them:

Backside of the “Sergent” (3.5) :
This trail starts out in the bottom of Dry Wash, or FS trail #476. It will wind through a narrow canyon. There is a small ledge with a quick left turn. Watch out for “Larry’s Rock” it is right after the small ledge and it will get your rear quarter panel if you’re not careful. The trail winds through a narrow canyon that will make you wonder if your mirrors will touch the canyon walls. This is where fullsizes will need to take extra care. The trail then opens up an then it is some steep hills littered with loose rock. The trail then tops out and you can see the entire clear creek canyon and the sevier valley. The trail winds through the quakies where you may see pine hen, deer, and maybe even some elk. The trail comes to an intersection at twin lakes and Sergent lake. Here the trail turns right and stays on the main trail down the canyon. There are several stream crossings on the way down. This trail is frequented by ATV’s so be on the lookout for them and share the trail. This trail ends inside the Fremont Indian Park. There is a bathroom and trashcans at the end of the trail. From the park you can head back into town to clean up for dinner. This trail requires at least 31 inch tires. It is fairly easy, but has some challenging narrow trail driving.

The “NS” Road (3.5):
This trail begins in the town of Salina at the rodeo grounds. Take highway 118 north from Richfield to Salina, continue through Salina to the 4 way stop and then continue East until you come into the parking lot near the rodeo grounds. The trail will then climb through the old quarries. Here there are several hill climbs in the hard packed red clay and some in the loose sand. The trail then goes starts up the trail towards the “NS” on the hill that represents North Sevier High school located in Salina. There are several loose rock sections in the sand as you weave in and out of the pinon pine. You will climb over the top of the “NS” hill and then drop down into Willow creek. There are some large boulders to navigate along with more pinon pine. After crossing the wash you will come out onto the county road. As you come back into Salina look for some of the old mines and exploration mines on both sides of Salina Canyon. Due to the loose material of the trail, a locker is recommended to help aid in forward motion.