Self Defense Instruction

Tebbsjeep

I don't know if there is another thread for this, so I'm starting one. Do any of you currently take or have taken self defense courses? What discipline do you practice? Why did you choose your particular instructor? What is the monthly cost you pay? I'd like to prepare to better defend myself and family if need be. I'd like to learn empty handed skills, and improve my firearms skills as well. If you know of a place that incorporates both, I'd like to hear about those as well. Please share your good or bad experiences.

iceaxe

Backroad Adventurer
Utah is blessed with an active and broad Martial Arts community. These guys in particular are exactly what your looking for. They teach practical self defense covering all modern scenarios and how to do it with power. If your not local to them, try to find something similar.
https://tangweimaa.com/

They have pricing geared toward how many classes you attend per week, open Friday practice for students, regular Saturday seminars, and ask for payment on a monthly basis.

Years ago (mid 90's) my friends and I were looking for the same thing, having read the Tao of Jeet Kune Do we were looking for something that was actually not restrictive in style, and not a sport, and more all inclusive of many styles or anything effective, it seemed logical that someone would teach the best that can be learned from any style? and above all just plain practical, ie street fighting is no rules, how do you actually defend yourself? We found it in all locally in a man named Tom Garriga. While he is out of state now, he comes to Utah regularly for seminars and these guys at Tang Wei are his advance students still progressing the system and passing that knowledge on. https://tangweimaa.com/about/

It's a lifestyle change and the biggest sticking point is practice, you get a couple months in and kind of fall behind and though you can keep going it won't start sticking without some regular practice. One thing I like that they do now is 1.5 hour classes so you get some practice in class. But it's something you'll want to prepare a place to practice what you learn in your home, if you don't have a lot of space, prepare a little open area...

SnwMnkys

Ive spent a year of my life training Muay Thai in Thailand. You can take a few classes in any martial arts and gain some knowledge but you really need the repetition of training so that it becomes instinct when the adrenaline starts flowing.

Tebbsjeep

Tang Wei looks pretty legit. To bad they are so far away from me. My problem is I work nights. So I'm getting off at 6:30am when no one is open, and I'm either sleeping or at work when classes are being held. I pretty much have Monday and Saturday that I could fit a class in. Also living in Ogden puts me far away from a lot of places, and adds to the cost of the training if I'm making the extra trips into SLC.

There is Victory Self Defense and Fitness in South Ogden that opened a few years ago, and they seem to have good reviews. They have a Krav Maga class that I want to go try out. Krav Maga has been my first choice since it looks to be the most raw or direct way to defend yourself. Other disciplines seem like more of a sport (while still effective for defense) but like has been mentioned before, a street fight has no rules.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
On the subject of practical arts, I studied escrima for a while and some of it has stuck with me. Definitely not a sport or stylized form, it's direct and brutal and covers barehand and armed offense and defense. I wouldn't have any idea if there are any local schools or if they're any good, but maybe that's something to look into.

I think it'd be more important thought to find something that is convenient and engaging, so that you'll enjoy class and practice and stick with it. If that ends up being a sport form, whatever, a year of judo or tae kwon do has got to be better than a month of the latest tactical self-defense fad...

Tebbsjeep

I agree it should be fun and engaging, while being educational. I definitely want a well rounded program with ground skills, striking, multiple attackers, and weapons training. Having a welcoming group to learn with, as well as an instructor that knows how to teach is paramount to me returning week after week.