Self-recovery gear questions

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I picked up a winch over the weekend for the FJ80 (thanks Robert!!) and I've been thinking about what to use on the other end, so I'm looking for ideas.

I do plenty of solo wheeling, playing in the sand and have made good sized river crossings on my own. There are plenty of times where there's potential to get stuck in a big way, with nothing solid around to winch to.

I'm familiar with the Pull-Pal and while it looks like it works well, I've never used one. The kicker is that the one they recommend for a 4x4 over 6k lbs costs $500+ shipping. I'm sure they are worth it, but that's a lot of dough.

I have considered building my own similar Pull-Pal device, it looks fairly simple.

Are there any other options?

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
A few people I've talked to swear by sharpened tractor axles. Use two or three at a time. Probably not nearly as good as a pull pal, but if you hammer them in a few feet, I think you'll be ok in most situations. And they sure are a heck of a lot cheaper.

Having been in the situation, I can say that the bury your tire trick works (bury it deeeeeep and pack the dirt hard), but is a royal PITA. Like, bad enough that you will think the pullpall is worth it after getting stuck once or twice. I would totally pony up for a pullpal, even with that cost, except for the massive amount of space and weight it takes up. I still might if the axle shaft thing doesn't work. When I get back I plan on hittin the junkyard for some tractor axles and then will thoroughly test them.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I don't know if there's anything special about tractor axleshafts, but if you want a D44-ish shaft I know there are a few in the scrap metal bin at work.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
They would not be overly complicated to build, though like many things out there by the time you put a value on your time its often a wash in the end. There was a local Utah company making knock-off PullPal units that didn't come apart and fold. A couple local Cruiser guys bought them (want to say they were $150) but I've never heard reports back.

A foldable PP really doesn't take up too much room, they do store flat and with the padded case they are easily pack away.

In reality you would be fine with the 11k unit, 2x the gross of the rig so with the 80 your realistically right around 11k. It may be a tad on the lighter duty but should be absolutely be fine unless you intend to use it much. So at that you can be into one for closer to $300.

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I had an official "how to get unstuck" army manual from way back and was surprised by the ways they did. I can't remember if I have it still or not. I'll look around. I remember one where you dig a ditch 6 feet long that is angled toward you vehicle, wrap a chain around a log drop it in and winch your way out. There were lots others, from taking your tires off and using your rim as a winch to creating tripods up the hill until you could get to something sturdy on the other side...the tripods made of wood created less friction.

I'll let you know if I find it and see if I can scan it in or something.

Medsker

DAA

Greg, I agree with Kurt that I believe you'd do fine with the RW11000 Pull Pal. That's the one I have. You've seen how heavy my Jeep is, that Pull Pal has yet to really struggle in finding purchase to winch my Jeep free. Couple of mud and snow stucks where I got to see the Pull Pal go completely out sight, but it DID hook up and I was on my way. And, if I can find room in my Jeep for one, surely you can fit one into that cavernous cargo area in your 80.

For me, the first self recovery I made with my Pull Pal, it paid for itself. When it's needed, it really is just exceptionally nice to have.

All that said... I've only had a Pull Pal for 3 years. For 20 years before that, I always carried a few T posts, a BFH and some stout rope. By pounding the T posts in angling away from the pull, and using multiple posts in a straight line going straight away from the pull, then "picketing" the two or three or four posts together with the rope (top to bottom, top to bottom), you can create a very stout land anchor that costs very little. Not nearly as convenient to use as Pull Pal, and does not work as well in truly, deeply soft ground (like when the Pull Pal goes subterranean). But, will get the job done "most of the time", with not all that much work and on the cheap.

Put it this way - if I didn't carry a Pull Pal these days, I'd have three T posts bundled up in it's place.

By the way, and on topic... I have heard for years and years that a "Danforth" type boat anchor works good as a land anchor for vehicle recovery. Frankly, having owned several boats with these types of anchors, and used them for their intended marine purpose a good bit, I never believed they would be worth much of a damn for winching. But, maybe I have simply been wrong about it, all these years. If so, one of them would be pretty cheap. Of course, you'd literally be lugging around a boat anchor with you all the time...

- DAA

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
This is something newer on the market that falls under 'self-recovery'..

Copied info from ExPo:

Mike%27s%20Fuso%20in%20Brazil.jpg

The MAXTRAX are really worth their weight in gold, the work very well and better than any other traction device I have used.

Here's some product photo's of the MAXTRAX in use around the world:

MAXTRAX%20near%20Limpopo%20Swaziland.jpg

MAXTRAX%20used%20in%20the%20KSA%20Desert%20Kuwait.jpg

Pathfinder%20with%20Alps.jpg

Sahara%20Aventura%202008.jpg

As some of you may have seen from our Facebook profile, Sierra Expeditions is please to offer the MAXTRAX traction devices from OZ! Shipping beginning this Monday 15 June 2009.

In our product testing the MAXTRAX out preformed other sand ladders and traction devices. In our testing this was a great alternative to a hand winch!

product%20testing%20023.JPG

product%20testing%20051.JPG

Product Specs:
  • Weight: 8.4 pounds (3.8kg) each
  • Size: 4' (122 cm) long, 13" (34 cm) wide and 3" (8.5 cm) high. Two stacked MAXTRAX are just 3.3" (8.5 cm) high.
  • Colors : Orange (We can get custom colors subject to minimum quantity order).
  • Warranty: We back our confidence in MAXTRAX with a 12 month warranty against faulty materials and workmanship.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I had an official "how to get unstuck" army manual from way back and was surprised by the ways they did. I can't remember if I have it still or not. I'll look around. I remember one where you dig a ditch 6 feet long that is angled toward you vehicle, wrap a chain around a log drop it in and winch your way out. There were lots others, from taking your tires off and using your rim as a winch to creating tripods up the hill until you could get to something sturdy on the other side...the tripods made of wood created less friction...

'Vehicle Recovery Operations' by the Department of the Army. I've got the same one. My favorite chapter is "Use of Smoke in Combat Recovery" :cool:

The think about 'traditional' anchor methods, they take a long, long time to set and re-setting them can be required. No problem when you have a troop carrier full of hearty soldiers, but if your out solo then its likely yourself, maybe your wife and kids too. Your pushing the envelope for even a safe winching operation with a known good anchor let alone trying to use a 'rescue anchor'. I think that is where the PullPal and other portable anchor devices come into play.

For reference, there are actually a half dozen portable winch anchor/rescue anchors on the market. The two most common in my experience (here in the states the PP is by far the clear leader).

ARB Portable Ground Anchor
prt-land-anchor.jpg

Pull-Pal Winch Anchor
11kpullpal.jpg

Several others make them including Smittybuilt, etc.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
This is something newer on the market that falls under 'self-recovery'...

While the MaxTrax may be a newer offering (not that new), sand ladders, bridging ladders and traction mats are nothing new and in fact have been a standard for "must have expedition equipment" for many moons.

Dozens of different options ranging from military surplus landing mats to custom carbon fiber options. Bushranger makes a "roll up" traction mat called the Sand Trax that I've taken a liking too... but I'm actually looking to get a more formal bridging ladder too. There is a joint on eBay selling some for a good price here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...IA&itu=FICS%2BUFI%2BUA%2BIA%2BUCI&otn=4&ps=10

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
While the MaxTrax may be a newer offering (not that new), sand ladders, bridging ladders and traction mats are nothing new and in fact have been a standard for "must have expedition equipment" for many moons.

I am of course refering to the specific product, not the idea behind it. :D

Is there a size difference between the PullPal and the ARB Portable Ground Anchor?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I am of course refering to the specific product, not the idea behind it. :D

Is there a size difference between the PullPal and the ARB Portable Ground Anchor?

Yes. The stowed ARB is rougly 1/2 the size of the PullPal. It is however slightly thicker.

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
Kurt, since you sell the pullpall and the ARB, have you tested both? What are the practical differences between the two? Which do you perfer?

I really like the traction mat/sand ladder idea for self recovery. It is generally pretty cheap, and works in nearly every stuck situation. I can safely say that in all the times I've been stuck, traction mats would have gotten me out 95% of the time. Plus its alot safer than using a winch or another vehicle. I think the best way to go would be with the lightest ones you can find, such as the fiberglass grating (waffleboard) or that Exreme Explosion Orange Deluxe Traxxx or whatever that Sami posted above. I have PSP landing mats and they are a heavy, clanky PITA. I like the idea of being able to bridge gaps and ledges too, but I would think the stiffer bridging ladders would be either too short, or WAY too heavy and cumbersom to be useful. But then I've never actually heard of anyone using them for bridging either...

Or, if you want the ULTIMATE do-all solution in self recovery, look no further. :rolleyes: :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Kurt, since you sell the pullpall and the ARB, have you tested both? What are the practical differences between the two? Which do you perfer?

To be honest I have not tested the two side by side but per say a dude was interested in helping me do some side by side testing, I'd be all over it. I personally carry the PP, not because I'm confident its superior, just that I had it long before ARB started importing theirs to the US and its proven its worth.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...Or, if you want the ULTIMATE do-all solution in self recovery, look no further. :rolleyes: :D

Interesting product.

What a rigged video, watch the tire from frames 1:38 to 1:42. The tire starts out buried nearly to the hub, when he gets out of the truck its just too the rim. And I'm 80% that he was in 2WD when he gets stuck, but switches to 4WD with the tracks in place.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
if you got both of them I would be willing to go help you test side by side... just give me a time and place and I will be there...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
If only you could fill it using your own exhaust...right kurt?

LOL exactly.

The Bushranger X-Jack could actually be used as a recovery tool just as much as a jack. Wyatt, when you got stuck in the ditch on Erikson Pass last winter, do you think you could have used the X-Jack to lift you up enough to drive out of it? Its by no means the solve-all tool, but its another tool to use.

I've used mine in a handful of situations where a hi-lift isn't up to the task, for example lifting the entire rear axle of an 80 Series off the ground for axle work :D