Self-recovery gear questions

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
if you got both of them I would be willing to go help you test side by side... just give me a time and place and I will be there...

I'll take you up on that.

I've actually got a fleet of "glamor" recovery components, several different winch anchors, several traction mat options, several air jacks. It would be pretty neat to put together a field day to test them all out and maybe combine it with some instruction on recovery methods and practices too?

Mug

PHORmerly
Kurt, or anyone else, if you have a design idea for an improved (cheaper/more suited for utah/smaller) recovery device, I could build it and have you test it. If it works out, you could carry it as a product through your outlets. PM me if that might work...hmmm.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Kurt, or anyone else, if you have a design idea for an improved (cheaper/more suited for utah/smaller) recovery device, I could build it and have you test it. If it works out, you could carry it as a product through your outlets. PM me if that might work...hmmm.

I've always got a few ideas in mind but nothing I'm ready to do much with yet. I have a full suit of fab tools, plasma, welder, bender, machine shop (EDM, mills/lathes, etc) that I can use for prototyping but if/when it ever gets to that I might look towards outsourcing production. If course I'm years from that stage with any of my side projects :D

LT.

After reading every post I think that I have come up with some conclusions. First, necessity is the mother of all inventions. (I know duh). Second, Greg you had stated that you went through some deep water crossings where there was a potential for getting stuck. If this is true, and, you have your loaded rig (FJ-80 I presume) and your family (wife, dog, kids maybe) then the one time, and only one time you need to use something as simple as the pull pal then it has more than paid for itself. Being stuck in a river could be life threatening. The $500 for the pull pal seems like a cheap insurance policy for your rig. Remember the videos of the JK that was left in the flash flood in Moab? This is something that came on suddenly. Things could go from worse to much worse way to quickly. You also stated that you go out by yourself. Although this is not something I would recommend I suppose if you are well enough equiped it may not be the worse thing. But, you need to be totaly self sufficent. A pull pal may not be used often but, I would bet the one time you do use it would all be worth it.

LT.

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
What a rigged video...

Its hilarious! I think nearly every one of those situations could have been driven out of without their little blow-up thingy.

Wyatt, when you got stuck in the ditch on Erikson Pass last winter, do you think you could have used the X-Jack to lift you up enough to drive out of it?

Yeah, I probably could have. I've been stuck a more than a few times where the x-jack would have come in handy, especially in snow.

CJJ92yj

While the MaxTrax may be a newer offering (not that new), sand ladders, bridging ladders and traction mats are nothing new and in fact have been a standard for "must have expedition equipment" for many moons.

Dozens of different options ranging from military surplus landing mats to custom carbon fiber options. Bushranger makes a "roll up" traction mat called the Sand Trax that I've taken a liking too... but I'm actually looking to get a more formal bridging ladder too. There is a joint on eBay selling some for a good price here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...IA&itu=FICS%2BUFI%2BUA%2BIA%2BUCI&otn=4&ps=10

These Ebay ones are simply just fiberglass grating. May be worth checking into it and seeing if you could source something similar locally. We buy all our grating from Grating Systems ~ 801-364-0102. They are in Ogden, but I'm sure there are others in the SLC area, not that Ogden is really that far.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
These Ebay ones are simply just fiberglass grating. May be worth checking into it and seeing if you could source something similar locally. We buy all our grating from Grating Systems ~ 801-364-0102. They are in Ogden, but I'm sure there are others in the SLC area, not that Ogden is really that far.

Awesome, I'll look into that. I prefer the open 'grate' style as it would double as a perfect shower platform at camp.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Thanks for all the responses everyone! I'm really looking for more of a land-anchor rather than traction devices like sand ladders, water crossings being a big reason.

If the less expensive PullPal will do the job at $300, then I will be happy with that. I would like to look into fabbing one, I don't think it would be that difficult. I had considered using a boat anchor, but didn't take it far enough to really look into it.

I do understand that traveling solo is not the best choice and I try to prepare for possible stucks, but I am fully aware of the consequences. Going with another 4x4 isn't always possible and I usually enjoy the solo trips. That is part of the adventure for me.

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
I do understand that traveling solo is not the best choice and I try to prepare for possible stucks, but I am fully aware of the consequences. Going with another 4x4 isn't always possible and I usually enjoy the solo trips. That is part of the adventure for me.

Shoot, if I go by myself (which is 95% of the time) and I'm not gonna get stuck, I might as well not go at all.