Shade Canopy Recommendation?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've never had one of these but think I want to grab one for our Palisades trip next week. Does paying more get me anything with these?

I'm guessing I also need some decent stakes as well, is that right?

Thanks

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
My experience is that the expensive one will break just like the cheaper one.
we have 2 right now that both came from Walmart. They are $70ish I think. They have been pretty good to us.

Edit... this guy: Canopy

Kevin B.

Big hippy
My experience is that the expensive one will break just like the cheaper one.

^ This. I've never had one last more than a year no matter how much I spent.

And they're enough of a hassle that I'd rather just have a tarp and some poles anyway. I have a Kelty Noah 12x12 that doesn't take much longer to set up than a popup, and is way more flexible in how you pitch it.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I have a coleman pop up canopy. Its the 3rd one I've had. The wind destroys them. There are bag weights you can get to help keep them down, but if it gets windy take it down to preserve it. I've been happy with the $100 or so I've spent on them.

I prefer the ones with straight legs as they cast more shade. I also like putting a wall on one or 2 sides to block more sun. They sell the walls at Walmart iirc.

Pike2350

I bought a Coleman from Costco 2 years ago when it was on sale. So far I love it. It has a built in wall that can be put at multiple angles or even straight out to increase the shade footprint. It goes up easier than most I've seen as well. Costco normally had them for around $130 but on sale it was $100

10+Ft.+W+x+10+Ft.+D+Steel+Pop-Up+Canopy.jpg

The reviews aren't very good online but so far Ive loved it...but then again I haven't used it a ton either..but so far I'm very happy

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I bought a Coleman from Costco 2 years ago when it was on sale. So far I love it. It has a built in wall that can be put at multiple angles or even straight out to increase the shade footprint. It goes up easier than most I've seen as well. Costco normally had them for around $130 but on sale it was $100

10+Ft.+W+x+10+Ft.+D+Steel+Pop-Up+Canopy.jpg

The reviews aren't very good online but so far Ive loved it...but then again I haven't used it a ton either..but so far I'm very happy
My dad has that one too. He's had it for 2 or 3 years and its held up fine to 3-4 times a year use.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Odd you mention this. I just bought an ABC Canopy, This one.

It has very good reviews as the best popup ever. It was 2x what I spend for 1 or 2 use versions in the past. Hopefully that investment pays off.

@jeeper uses a very cool idea at races, he use 5 gallon buckets full of dirt to tie the canopy down to. I think that is a helpful task, make sure they are secured to the ground. If they can shift, they seem to fold like a soda can.

We are spending a few days at Sand Hollow next week, I'll let you know how the ABC Canopy works out.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've been meaning to pick one up for a while. I wouldn't think I tarp would be ideal because I want to also use it on concrete at home.

I'm inclined to go for the Walmart special because I know I they are in stock. I don't really feel like doing a goose chase.

I do like that bucket idea to secure it down.

Tonkaman

I've never had one of these but think I want to grab one for our Palisades trip next week. Does paying more get me anything with these?

I'm guessing I also need some decent stakes as well, is that right?

Thanks
You certainly do get what you pay for, but only after a certain price point. I’d say anything under $500 is roughly the same thing and prone to bending. The real good stuff starts over $500 and quickly gets into the thousands.

The motocross organizers have theirs deployed 4 days a week all year long without any issues. While the rest of us yuppies are running to take down our ez ups in a wind storm, theirs hardly even flex or twist in the wind. The biggest difference is the tubes being 2” diameter and hexagonal shaped so they are incredibly rigid.
The best ones are from Action Sports Canopies.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
@jeeper uses a very cool idea at races, he use 5 gallon buckets full of dirt to tie the canopy down to. I think that is a helpful task, make sure they are secured to the ground. If they can shift, they seem to fold like a soda can.

I had luck tying one bucket in the middle, slightly off the ground so it swings. It works like those pendulum earthquake dampers they put in skyscrapers.

pELYgroso

'Merica
We have had a lot and these are by far the best ones. 13x13 space of shade because there is an "eave" overhang. Easy to set up and take down and also has a very easy to use bag with wheels and nice handles. We have 2 of them now and use them all the time. They have held up better than others we've had. Every time we have friends help set them up, they are always very impressed at the size the ease of use. Worth every penny.
coleman canopy.png

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
We have had a lot and these are by far the best ones. 13x13 space of shade because there is an "eave" overhang. Easy to set up and take down and also has a very easy to use bag with wheels and nice handles. We have 2 of them now and use them all the time. They have held up better than others we've had. Every time we have friends help set them up, they are always very impressed at the size the ease of use. Worth every penny.
View attachment 129171
Thats what I have right now. I have only used it once, but it was nice. I will be using it again in a few weeks in the Uintas.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I use something like THIS with some washers to hold down our canopies at races.
That's genius.

Our ABC Canopy came Saturday. If I use the tent criteria I've devolved over the years, it's a winner. Criteria being, if it has a decent quality and size stuff sack, it's likely a good tent.
The bag is very heavy material, is plenty big enough to fit the canopy and has a pocket on the side for the side panels with a small stake pocket at the top. Nice touches.
The frame of this thing is also beef. It's a 10x10, it weighs 2x every other popup I've owned. I bet it's close to 90lbs. We'll see how it holds up this week.

Houndoc

Most of the ones we have tried are lucky to survive a couple of trips to Lake Powell without significant wind damage. Just purchased on from Big Agnes that is designed more like a dome tent. Excited to see how it holds up.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I guess as a follow up to this thread the canopy I got from walmart worked really well for us last week at Palisades. I took buckets to strap it down but ended up not using it on the beach like I thought I might. It landed right outside the trailer door and was tethered to the trailer and either the truck or a picnic table there.

Friends had ez-up and coleman variants that were older which the wind blew all over the place. Even while they were scrambling to secure them mine seemed to be doing just fine. I imagine this had as much to do with being new as anything so we'll see how long it lasts. I'm glad I bought it and I think it'll be a good additional to BBQ's and other get togethers.