Shane Herzogs 1989 Jeep Cherokee (Fall 2002 Featured Rig)

Updated!
Shane's XJ is built to serve 2 purposes:

#1- Be drivable enough to get him to and from work.
#2- Wheel anywhere, at any time.

It all started innocently enough, the 'average' Jeep project. With an idea to make it perform just a little better in the Rough stuff, Shane started down the road few can resist. Now, the XJ is very capable, but there are still those mods out there that could make it just that much better. Living in Price, Utah allows frequent trips to Moab and the local trails in his backyard. The current setup works great for either place.

Here's a breakdown of this well-built Cherokee-

Engine- Stock 4.0L I6 with a Large K&N cone filter.

Transmission- AW4, Automatic with Overdrive.

Transfer Case- Update: Atlas II 4.3:1

Axles- Dana 44s front and rear!

Front: '82 Jeep Wagoneer Dana 44, Rubicon Express Bracketry, Detroit Locker, Yukon 5.13 gears, Update: Warn Inner & Outer shafts, CTM U-joints.

Rear: '74 J-4000 Dana 44. Shortened and centered 3", converted to 6x5.5 pattern, Moser alloy shafts, Detroit Locker, Yukon 5.13 gears.

Suspension- 7 to 8" of lift by way of Rubicon Express Coils and Leafs, Update: Custom Radius linked control arms up front (made from 2" x .25 wall DOM tubing, and RE Spherical Joints), Ladder-type Traction Bar in the rear with a Shackle at the top.

Tires & Wheels- Update: Super Swamper TSL SX 38x12.5x15 w/ grooved center pattern, mounted on 15x8 AR Wheels, Rockstomper DIY beadlocks (counter sunk).

Protection- Update: A 6 Point Internal Roll Cage to protect the passengers and add strength to the Uni-body, Stock rocker panels were replaced with 1.5" x .25" wall Square Tube, to minimize reduced ground clearance while providing protection from the Rocks. Also, the bumpers are 'Shane-fabbed' parts!

Recovery- Update: Warn X8000i, w/ Rocklogic synthetic winch rope

Interesting Facts- The Custom Drag link & Track bar were built by Shane using 1 3/8" x .25" wall DOM Tube. The Trackbar mount was raised to the top of axle, for a better operating angle and the area around the Steering box has been Braced for strength. All four Doors are removable to help with seeing where Rocks lie as the XJ passes over them. The Home-built Long Arm suspension is one of the neatest things on Shane's XJ.

Whats Next?- Hydraulic Assist :D

Playing in Pritchett-

Attachments

• shane_pritchet1.jpg
    shane_pritchet1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 843
Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Originally posted by moabjeeper
Where did you get the little lights at the 2.5 ones?? I havent seen those anywhere.

Some local trucking store had them. I think they were about $6 a peice.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Originally posted by cruiseroutfit
Hey Herzog... Where did you get those sweet arial maps of trails in the Price area??? Hook me up, I want some of my area...:D

I used TerraServer ( I can't remember the url ) and searched across those areas and outlined the trails that I could see. I plan on making more when I have the time... It's hard to make them unless you know the exact routes or if you are familiar with the area.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by Herzog

I used TerraServer ( I can't remember the url ) and searched across those areas and outlined the trails that I could see. I plan on making more when I have the time... It's hard to make them unless you know the exact routes or if you are familiar with the area.

I thought it was tereserver... I can't find the URL anymore either... does anyone out htere have it? Thanks in advance:D

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
rckcrlr said:
Saw the new rig go this weekend....Very nice! looked great, performed great, good job!!

Thanks Marc! It was good to meet you! Sorry about after, I was really down and tired. :)

ewander

Shane, Kevin told me that you rolled your cherokee and were starting over...is that true?

Eric

Herzog said:
We have done a Very similar project a couple years ago on a Nissan Pathfinder. Your Rodeo is lookin really good.

As far as drivelines... I wouldn't trust any of our local shops in Price. We've been through that routine a few years ago. Look up: High Angle Driveline, Six States, Tom Woods, etc...

Check us out at www.bm4w.com and sign up on our forum. Let us know when you want to go wheelin!