She finally pulls the trigger after 4 years, 5 months, and 11 days.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Jacey and I started dating around summer of 2006, and eventually separated for approximately a year while I went to Alaska partly so we could both clear our heads. During that year of dating I would frequently go shooting every time I was out on a trip, and she knew that. If firearms were ever discussed she'd get stressed out and immediately end the conversation. She hated guns, and would not discuss it further. She grew up in a household of 5 females and no men other than her Dad; and he's not into anything outdoors other than a day on the golf course. I looked passed it and never once pushed the issue.

We got back together beginning of 2008, and I put a ring on her finger around springtime of that year. We finally got married Nov 22nd 2008. Of course, this whole time I'm still into guns and she says that she will never allow a firearm into our home under any circumstance. I laughed and said, "OK honey"; while inside thinking "wtf did I just get myself into? She can't be serious... She'll come around."... Up to this point I knew Jacey well enough that she can get defensive quickly about things she may not understand, and I was banking on firearms being on of those things. So I didn't worry too much about her 'stance' on the issue.

For the first 6-12 months of marriage I left my .22 at my parents house. But after a trip at some point I brought both my .22 and my dad's .22 home and kept them there. She never said a word against it, and was fine with them there. Fall of 2009 rolls around and I start talking about getting a conceal carry permit, which I figured she'd shoot right down. She was cool with it, and even bought me Springfield Armory XD40 sub compact for Christmas! I of course found it and bought it, but it was from her and I couldn't fire it until after Christmas.. Dec 26th couldn't come soon enough...

As you can see, Jacey just needed some time to understand firearms and their role in my life. Even though she was cool with me CC'ing and buying me a handgun, she swore that she would never go shooting. I confidently knew that was not true, as her pattern says otherwise. Once again I've never pushed the issue, but just knew one day I'd get her to the range.

November 17th 2010, 1,625 days after we first met... Doug's Shootin' Sports, a Buck Mark .22, and smile on her face. 5 days shy of our 2nd Anniversary, she's plinking holes into paper @ 10-15 feet. I couldn't be happier. She even spied several pink handguns under the glass counters, and I for see a pink Walther P22 in her future. :greg: Jacey's oldest sister was instrumental in getting her to the range last night. Jacey looks up to her, and respects her so it was a big help in showing Jacey that a female in her family likes to go shooting.

a4f12325.jpg

Last edited:

Brett

Meat-Hippy
That's awesome dude! Glad she came around and wasn't against you having them. I guess I lucked out that Melanie already has shot firearms and even popped off a magazine from Cody's gun on the PET.

And the corrected picture is much better ;)

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
It was a fun night for sure. I've been looking forward to it for some time now. We even had a foreign exchange student from Japan sending some downrange with the Buck Mark.. She had a big grin ear to ear...

sixstringsteve

congrats man. Your wife sounds just like mine. She's usually opposed to things she doesn't understand. But yesterday we both took our concealed class at compact firearms. It was great. She had never touched a gun before, and she was really nervous about them. She wouldn't even touch an unloaded gun in the class at first, but by the end of the class she was practicing her stance, pointing them at targets, checking if they were loaded, and we even picked out a little .22 for her in a few months. it was a great day. I'm not a gun guy at all, but I do believe my 2nd amendment rights are one of the great things that separate us from other countries, and I'm excited that my wife is no longer afraid of handguns (or any guns for that matter). So I totally understand where you're coming from. Congrats man, it's a great feeling.

On the other side of the fence, my brother married a bleeding-heart liberal (he's pretty conservative), and she won't even let him get his concealed, even if they don't own a gun. So I consider myself pretty lucky.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Brian, I considered it; but we had 12 in our group as well as 20-30 doing the bowling pins, and a group of atleast 10 boy scouts showed up in a seperate group.. It was a packed house. She is cool with going more, so we'll hopefully get out again soon. Question, does Doug's allow .22 rifles?

Steve, You and I are in the same boat then.. I feel like we're nearing our destination. I predict that she will have her own handgun by next Christmas, in all reality probably within the next 6 months.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Brian, I considered it; but we had 12 in our group as well as 20-30 doing the bowling pins, and a group of atleast 10 boy scouts showed up in a seperate group.. It was a packed house. She is cool with going more, so we'll hopefully get out again soon. Question, does Doug's allow .22 rifles?

Steve, You and I are in the same boat then.. I feel like we're nearing our destination. I predict that she will have her own handgun by next Christmas, in all reality probably within the next 6 months.

Understandable, I forgot about it being Wed...
Yes on the .22, No on any high powered rifle

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Somehow my wedding invite never came. -_-

Lory had never fired a gun until we married. Now she carries everyday. She loves to shoot things that asplode.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I don't know what was goin on with you around the time of my marriage. You should be more involved with what I'm doing, whithout me having to put in all the effort.. Damnit Jeremy..

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I made the mistake of my showing my wife how to shoot right from the get go. I rarely take her because I don't like her showing me up and making me feel like crap.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Glad you found a place to go. I had the range all to myself on tuesday, but drove past and it was packed on wednesday. So you made the right decision going to dougs.

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
If you start seen informational brochures secretly stashed around the house or on her person with the following logo, or something similar, you might want to be concerned.
thumbnail.aspx

She hasn't told you that she's a pre-med student up at the U of U lately has she? :eek: