Shell question

pkrfctr

Picked up a new tow rig. 2018 f250 king ranch. Going to throw a shell on it most of the time. Anyone have experience with shells? What brand, features do you like?
I've got to do dog screens on the windows, front slider, probably do keyless too but other than that open to suggestions....

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I run a shell full time. I have to keep all my tools in it. I built my own wood sliding drawers under a wood platform at the fender height. It gives me a ton of usable space, and allows me to access the tools easier. I can use the platform area to store a ton of additional junk. I always wish I had side access windows. Being able to grab something without kneeling up on the tailgate and climibing through the truck would be waaay better.

Caleb

I had an A.R.E. shell on my Tacoma and had absolutely no complaints. You can get any options you want. They are generally special ordered to your specs so it takes a week or two to get but worth it.

4x4_Welder

I remember the good ole days where you put in a carpet kit, run a radiator hose to the back to pipe in heat and then toss the kids in the back. The good old days when before the government decided to protect us from ourselves
Heat? What kinda fancy ass people let their kids have heat in the bed of a pickup truck? X-D
Carpet kit and a cap? Just get in the open bed and hang on.

ID Bronco

Heat? What kinda fancy ass people let their kids have heat in the bed of a pickup truck? X-D

Oh the memories, my favorite was having a canvas snap on tonneau (SP?) cover over the 60 something GMC, my brother and I had the pleasure of laying on sleeping bags under neath it from Idaho to Bryce canyon many times. It would get so dang hot under that thing. And when you had to pee, knock on the back window.....hard, they could't hear you, they had the windows down for air flow. I don't remember what was worse, the heat or the wind noise. It also may have been us duking it out under the cover and cramping up because we couldn't stand up or even sit upright. Snaps and canvas are kind of like seat belts.

I guess I was on the wrong side of the tracks.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I like the tall old man style truck shells. They don't look as cool as the sleek ones, but they are more functional. I like to camp in the back of my truck or be able to fit a 4 wheeler under the shell.

ID Bronco

I like the tall old man style truck shells. They don't look as cool as the sleek ones, but they are more functional. I like to camp in the back of my truck or be able to fit a 4 wheeler under the shell.

I have one cab height shell and one taller one and hands down the taller one is more functional for all kinds of stuff, but it doesn't look as nice. I also second the side access, my sleek one has it and it's nice. But I like the slider windows on the side for my dog, so if you'll have pets back there, the ventilation is nice with sliders.

Gary T

I have had a bed slide in my last four trucks. In my opinion, one of the best additions you can have, especially for me being a lazy old man. Pulling the slide out makes it very easy to access and load objects even heavy ones forward in the bed. I currently have a three-piece Tono cover and like the visibility But miss the extra storage and utility of a shell. How much access do you want to the actual truck bed? if you have a fifth wheel or gooseneck in the back easy access would be a priority.

corbin.black

I bought a Leer shell for my Silverado last year. I told myself that I wanted either fixed side windows or sliders with vents.. long story short, I found a great deal on a shell with flip up side windows and I couldn't pass it up. I actually love the flip up windows. I built a platform/shelf that spans from bedside to bedside just below the side windows. I hardly even use the tailgate anymore, it's much easier to pop the side windows open and load my gear or ever groceries :rofl: The only thing I don't like about mine is that I don't have screens to provide air for my dogs.

If I purchased a new shell, I would order it the same height as the top of the cab (for looks), a flip up window on the driver side and a slider/screen on the passenger side.