Shock vs Spring

Omgbecki

In your opinions, what's nice important to ride quality? Stocks or spring. I know that overall they work together but if you are looking to change one or the other which would you do first. To add context I'm very old fabtec springs that have seen a lot of action. Looking at springs from such brands like; rock krawler, metal cloak... that gave the dual rated springs. Problem is I'm set up for 4 inch of lift which I'm honestly doubting I'm at due to use, weight and time but most companies I'm seeing 3.5 or 4.5 inches not 4. I'm also looking at springs becauseI'm running some no name ones from Les Schwab that I only got because lifetime warranty. Looking into Falcons, fox, bilstien.... if it was springs or shocks what would you do?

Pike2350

So I'm confused are you running old Fabtech Springs or Les Schwab Springs?

Im guessing he meant Les Schwab shocks since he asked about shocks right after.

Id say shocks as well. Spring has due fatigue overtime...but shocks wear out faster and they are what helps control the movement of the sorings.

So new shocks will help control the fatigued springs vs having ne springs that have little help from worn out, cheap shocks.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I see. So in racing we spring for weight (or height) and use damping to control. Better shocks (that are valved for your needs) will always be a good investment.

Think of it this way: rally cars only have 4-6" of wheel travel but don't bottom hard when they jump them because they are using awesome damping control (shocks).