Shot of the Las Vegas strip, Shutter drag from above.

ret32

I don't know what "shutter drag" means. And I don't know exactly what a "noise filter" is. But I do know what "a cool picture of Las Vegas at night" is. And that is it!

Nice pic!

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
I don't know what "shutter drag" means. And I don't know exactly what a "noise filter" is. But I do know what "a cool picture of Las Vegas at night" is. And that is it!

Nice pic!

I'm pretty much there with you. From what I understand the shutter drag means that instead of just snapping a picture, you hold the lens open allowing the lights the burn the film as they move, giving the tracer affect. Please someone Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone can explain it better, either way, very cool picture!

ret32

I'm pretty much there with you. From what I understand the shutter drag means that instead of just snapping a picture, you hold the lens open allowing the lights the burn the film as they move, giving the tracer affect. Please someone Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone can explain it better, either way, very cool picture!

So on my point & shoot, it's what the night mode does IF I turn off the flash. Only not as good.

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
Its leaving the shutter open, so that anything thats moving blurs, mostly light trail etc. I left shutter open for 1.6 seconds, that was the most i could manage without a tripod.

sixstringsteve

wow, that's amazing without a tripod. You must have had it resting on something. My shots are always blurry when I try anything longer than 1/60th of a sec. great shot!

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
I was resing my back against a poll, had LCD flipped out, camera held above me, on a very thin lexan wall. I was stable horizontally, but vertically I was shaky. I wish I had my little stick on anything tripod, but I thikn the plastic wall would resonate noise into the camera.. from vibration so my hand did steady it. Still hard to go over 1 second, I got lucky on a 1.6

ret32

So on my point & shoot, it's what the night mode does IF I turn off the flash. Only not as good.

Its leaving the shutter open, so that anything thats moving blurs, mostly light trail etc. I left shutter open for 1.6 seconds, that was the most i could manage without a tripod.

That's pretty much what the night mode on my camera does. I think I only get 1/2 second max though. I don't have any manual adjustments for it. I just have to put it on night mode, turn off the flash, focus at the sky or something black, then repoint at my subject and shoot. I'm only one level above PHD.

Sorry to hijack your thread with my lack of photography knowledge, mostly I just wanted to say that I like your picture. ;)

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
I learned on a Sony Alpha Nex 5, these are with my next step up, a Canon 60D Sigma OS HSM EX 17-55mm. I plan on going full frame as soon as I can put that much away :) But in the mean time, the 18mp looks good, but I cringe when I realize the stuff lost Id have on full frame. But 1.6x at 18mp is beautiful :)