Skull Valley Trip?

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Its one of those places on my list of places to see.

I've been here for 4 years and have not gotten to get out there. I was thinking about just taking my RAM out there there. I don't want anything hardcore, just a day trip to see whats out there.

Do you guys and gals have any good things to see or do?

Thanks

Kevin B.

Big hippy
There's nothing to blow your mind, but it's worth a day to poke around, maybe two days if they're short winter days. White Rock is a neat place to camp and scramble around slickrock. Hastings Pass is a cool little drive with a quarry and old mine site/cabin ruins on the west side - the south side of the loop is graded gravel and easy driving, the north side of the loop is a little twisty and tight in spots if I remember right but you could probably get your Ram through with a little care. The graveyard at Iosepa is worth a visit - the townsite is on private property below, but maybe if you catch a farmer in a good mood they'd let you visit? Horseshoe Springs makes a good spot to stretch your legs and do a little birdwatching or whatever. Lone Rock would be cool if it weren't for all the shooters trash.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Cool, thanks. I was checking out google maps last night as well. I want to stop by Lone Rock and the old Russian Missile base. So I think I'm going to drive south on 196, then turn on White Rock RD and circle back up to the interstate. Since I'll be coming from the north land. I can probably do that in a day. And the Ram has plenty of fuel to do that kind of trip without planning for fuel. Luckily it gets great mileage off road and has a big tank.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
FYI Tekoi is private property and gated. And it's no more Russian than a Ford Taurus, they just had to make signs in English and Russian due to armament treaties at the time.

RogueJeepr

Here!
I've done the whole loop from whiterocks and back. The cedar mtn road (east side) is pretty rough going up to Hastings pass. The west side is more sandy in sections.
I was talking to a family member who works on base out there. He said I wouldn't advise camping/wheeling near dugway anymore but couldn't tell me why.
(X-files music)

RogueJeepr

Here!
Hint:::; Stick to the south cedar mtn road. It's faster than the route behind WR. That's just a grazing trail and burns up alot of time , nothing much to see other than cow pattys. I think it took about 3-4hrs for the whole loop.

Attachments

• IMG_20171215_123456.png
    IMG_20171215_123456.png
    437.4 KB · Views: 14

Troop92

I'd be interested in exploring out there more we used to take scouts to Lone Rock and Horseshoe all the time. You taking the family?

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I was going to. But we didn't get around to going. I'd like to head out there maybe in January if it is a little warmer. My wife didn't want to go with it so cold outside.

Ill get a hold of you after the new year.

Troop92

I was going to. But we didn't get around to going. I'd like to head out there maybe in January if it is a little warmer. My wife didn't want to go with it so cold outside.

Ill get a hold of you after the new year.

Works for me. Wife is getting more and more into the idea of these kind of trips. Having the kids be a bit older surely helps. Haha.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Both of my parents grew up in Dugway. I have spent a lot of time out in that area, but never done the loop all the way through to aragonite and back to the highway. Looks like I need to give it a go.

RogueJeepr

Here!
I'd recommend a hike to the top of white rock. Steep but very cool and view is awesome. Going around the backside and hiking up the middle (ravine) is the best way.