SLC Peeps - urgent rescue help needed!

redrockrover

A friend of mine needs help He is stuck and requires help getting his Defender 130 out of the mud. I have to work tomorrow in the day but I get off at 5:00pm and I can help after that. I have already talked to Big Sarge (Matt Westrich). I really wish I could come out and help but I can not get out of work. If any of you are up to a challenge and have some spare time tomorrow I know Michael would really welcome your help. If you have any questions you can call myself 801-232-9569 or Michael at 801-254-6648.

Thanks

Russ

SLC Peeps - urgent rescue help needed!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, ok...so it's a rescue for ME.

I just spent 4 days out in the west desert of Utah, got the truck stuck in the salt mud, had to be rescued by the Search and Rescue and got a ride in a helicopter.

Had to leave the truck...but it's in a very remote location and will be safe for at least a day.

The beast weighs 7500 lbs. and is stuck in some sticky clay/mud/salt crap up to the axles...just a hair below the frame. The diffs are dragging a bit. I'm in a not-so-dry riverbed (the reason I got stuck is that I *thought* it was dry), down a 3-4 foot embankment.

NO winching anchors (ask me about burying a tire 4-5 times only to watch it slowly come unearthed), so this will need to be a multiple vehicle winching recovery. Heavy vehicles preferred. Big winches a necessity.

My plan is to head out early Sunday morning and get the thing unstuck. When we hit pavement we're only going to be about 45 minutes East of Wendover, so I would be definitely up for buying the whole crew lunch/dinner/whatever.

The location...or as close as I'm willing to divulge, is on the north end of the Silver Island Mountains...east of Wendover.

Seriously, this is in the middle of NOWHERE...I can almost guarantee you that this is a location in Utah that you have never been. If you have been here, you understand how tough it is to leave a truck out there.

Well, I have to go back and get the pig, so I'm going to leave on Sunday morning around 9-ish. I'd have people call my cell phone, but I left it in the truck.

Call the house or PM...254-6648. I'll spend the day tomorrow gathering stuff I'll need (I killed both batteries trying to winch myself out...now the truck won't start...plus I killed what little power I had signalling rescuers and overflying aircraft).

Anyway, it's a LONG story, here's a pic.

http://www.tawayama.com/blog/stuckinmud.jpg

Thanks to anyone who feels like volunteering!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Slade
www.tawayama.com

Last edited:

notajeep

Just me
Looks like fun, and I have family in wendover. How far off the paved road (about) is it. What I mean is, how close could you pull a trailer? Is it easily reached by 4 wheelers? If I can't provide a big truck winch maybe I could provide some extra man power.
Dan

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
So, that doesn't really look that bad. Just a complete lack of winch points. A bunch of long straps and two or three strong winches and we could prolly pull it right out. The only thing I have with a winch is a buggy. It doesn't weight much, but I could maybe tether it to another truck (a tow rig, if we can get it close enough). and pull that thing out. Would it start with a jump? How far off the highway is it? Any chance of leaving earlier?

Last edited:

redrockrover

There has been a change in plans. We are going to leave around 4-5:00pm. My brother and I will be going and taking his F350 and maybe his Jeep CJ-7 with a winch. I don't know exactly where or how far off the road this is. Michael said you could pull a stock 4x4 up to it. We are going to tow my bros CJ-7 and take his F350. Everyone is welcome to come and help and play. If you have question feel free to call me or Michael. Michael will be able to give better directions that I could.

Russ,

I think a few more big trucks as ballast and a few more trucks with winches and we're pretty much good.

I have my RRC with a winch, there's another guy with a stock CJ with a winch, my neighbor has a crewcab Ford we can use as ballast, and maybe a third truck with a winch and a third big truck for ballast and we'll be fine.

If you want to spread it out to the Utah 4x4 people, please do. Be sure to give my phone # 801-254-6648 so they can call.

I'd like to leave around 4-5 tomorrow afternoon. If you want to head out and meet us, we'll probably do a stop at the Flying J in Stansbury Park before heading out.

The plan heading out is to (Refer to your Utah DeLorme Atlas on pp. 50) exit at the Bonneville Salt Flats exit, which is exit #4. Take the main paved road due north until it turs 90 deg. and heads east. Do NOT head east. Take the road that heads NW and is the Silver Island Mountain loop. The truck is parked on pp. 58 at the northern most side of the loop road. More accurately it is parked to the west of where the road starts to head back around to the east and south again.

I can give precise GPS coords if required...I'm a bit hesitant to do so right now because of looting. I didn't see a soul out there, but with that truck and gear I'm just a shade paranoid.

Please spread the word if you know of boards who would like to help. My e-mail is: sladephoto@yahoo.com

A photograph of where the truck is parked is also on my blog:

www.reluctoblog.blogspot.com

Thanks!

PS We'll be on CB channel 9 if anyone wants to listen.

Michael Slade
www.tawayama.com

redrockrover

I guess that means today?

The rescue will be Sunday the 24th. Sorry I talked to him about making the rescue earler in the morning but he feels that later in the day will be better. Scott (my bro) and I will be meeting at his house and heading out. If you want to come that would be awesome, we could use the help. Feel free to call me or Mike.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
The rescue will be Sunday the 24th. Sorry I talked to him about making the rescue earler in the morning but he feels that later in the day will be better. Scott (my bro) and I will be meeting at his house and heading out. If you want to come that would be awesome, we could use the help. Feel free to call me or Mike.

I've got to haul a few things around tomorrow afternoon. I doubt I'll be available.

leorn

reset
I'm sure you thought of this, but I was buried up to my frame in snow on top of a mountain and was able to drive out by using some branches, and digging out a ramp. I thought it was going to spend the winter up there!

jruss

saltflat.jpg

There are a couple of tow companies in Wendover that drag a snowcat around on a wrecker. They pull people out of the salt all day long. They are 100% @ssholes and will charge you as much as they can ($200+delivery) knowing that they are the only option. Look them up if you can't get it out. They got our truck out in one hard jerk. The charged us $600 after 30 minutes of work

diablokicks

saltflat.jpg

There are a couple of tow companies in Wendover that drag a snowcat around on a wrecker. They pull people out of the salt all day long. They are 100% @ssholes and will charge you as much as they can ($200+delivery) knowing that they are the only option. Look them up if you can't get it out. They got our truck out in one hard jerk. The charged us $600 after 30 minutes of work

Boy thats gotta be a 550$ profit (dang gas prices) lol

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I have an expedition with a 12,000 lb winch and would love tohelp but I don't get off work until around 8pm... if you don't get it out of there today and have to make another run out make sure you let me know and I'll find some time off to go help...
John

4554x4

always modifing something
saltflat.jpg

I had to lock at the picture again, I thought the guy was taking a wiz...

JoeT

Snocat?! Pretty slick solution. FYI I got my 90 Corrado and my friends 91 Corrado stuck on the Salt Flats one night. That sucked.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I got my mom's brand new grand cherokee stuck out there about 12 miles from wendover trying to rescue a bunch of friends who's car died on the way back to SLC. I needed to turn around and the dirt looked dry but once I got into the middle of the "median" the jeep sank to its frame. Damn salt crust covering sticky gray clay!! It took a huge ass wrecker to pull me out. This is after he snapped one of his cables. Good luck man!

redrockrover

I want to thank everyone for your help. We are going to head out now. If anyone wants to come please meet us at the flying J in Stansbury Park. We will be leaving The Flying J about 5:30. The more the merrier. If you have questions please call me 801-232-9569.

Russ