Sleeping bags?

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I have been shopping for sleeping bags. Mine is old and is about a 40degree and I have froze my butt off many nights in it. The only sleeping bag I have everbeen warm in was an old army mummy bag when I was a kid. So what does everyone use? How cold should I go? Price is also important.

jdub

Scrambler
Mesha has the hook up. As well as being very knowledgeable of outdoor equipment. Shoot him a PM or search for him and camping. I purchased about 300 dollars of goods from him for about $70.

I have been ok with synthetic bags with a low rating but would like to try down. I don't have the patience for down and the care it needs and $$$.

Three things:
Remove clothing that may be damp from snow or sweat.
Wear a beanie.
Make sure you pee, if you wait cause it is cold out then the pee will lower your core temp. Trust me I have proven it.

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
For car camping I go with the heaviest, thickest, biggest, comfiest bag (or bags, I double up all the time) I can find. I have a couple flannel lined bags similar to this that I pile on and sleep awesome.

For backpacking or other activity where volume and weight efficiency is important, a quality high loft down mummy with a hood is the way to go. I go with western mountaineering or marmot and try to avoid other common outdoor brands due to their support of SUWA et al.

Don't forget the sleeping pad! Thats where half your warmth comes from.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Opinions on NF aside I rock a North Face Tundra -20 synthetic and I absolutely love it. I use it with a fleece liner/indoor sleeping bag that you can buy at Wal-mart for $9 and between the two I have not lost sleep from being cold so far. I have had it in -5 degrees so far and it has more than impressed me--I can't say enough good things about it :)

http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/...bCat&parent_category_rn=11749&variationId=197

edit: I would also look into a Wiggy : http://wiggys.com/category.cfm?category=6 I have heard nothing but good from them as well.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
We've been using Kelty bags, IIRC they are 20* bags. They work well as a 4 season bag, but I do need to buy a liner for those cold winter trips. They pack down small, which saves room in the vehicle. I've been happy with it, have camped many nights in the cold and at high elevation and stayed comfortable.

ID Bronco

So what's cold on here? I mean we sleep in -20 sometimes. What do you use for that? I have a large bag like what Mbryson is mentioning that is rated for -20, but you are cold at zero. I usually put a summer type bag in for extra warmth. I would like a larger than mummy style that would really be warm at -20. Anyone know of one for sure?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
So what's cold on here? I mean we sleep in -20 sometimes. What do you use for that? I have a large bag like what Mbryson is mentioning that is rated for -20, but you are cold at zero. I usually put a summer type bag in for extra warmth. I would like a larger than mummy style that would really be warm at -20. Anyone know of one for sure?

I'm a wuss nowadays and don't go out in that kind of weather. :rofl::rofl: I've never slept in that bag because it's too hot (and I just turn the thermostat up in the trailer now).

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

IIRC, many years ago I read an article in Backpacker magazine about sleeping bag ratings and they said that for the most part, bags are usually optimistic about their temperature rating by about 15-20*. So a 20* bag will really only be 'comfortable' down to 35-40*'s.

The best solution is to have a 3 season bag for warmer weather, then a separate, thick winter bag for those -20* nights.

I don't have the funds for 2 different bags for myself and the wife, so we got a pair of 20* bags and will be adding a winter bag liner to them for colder temps. If it's going to be real cold, we will bring a blanket to toss over the sleeping bags and add one more layer.

I'll be honest though... at this point we haul around a propane tank for cooking, so I invested in a Mr Heater Buddy for those winter trips. It's been quite nice to fire up and get the tent all toasty before bedtime, then shut it off. Thru the night, I will fire it up if it gets too chilly. The wife stays warm and happy and I get to keep taking winter trips. ;) IMO winter camping is the best kind!

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Honestly I have one of the Military spec modular sleeping bags and it is rather nice and roomy.. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZWB144-1.html a little pricy but I think it is worth it.. I use the Bivy instead of a Tent 90% of the time now :)..

I have used this in many applications from backpacking to car camping 95 degree nights to -5 degree nights and have been warm and toasty :).. also remember you can always do a Nalgine bottle full of boiling water in your bag before you go to bed and all night to help add a ton of heat :)

Last edited:

MOODY

Bald Guy
I use Marmot and Western Mountaineering bags, I have a total of 3. The Marmot Col, which is a -20 is down filled with a gore dryloft shell. I haven't ever slept cold in it. It was a pricey 700 dollars new, but this year I have had it 10 years, and I expect to have it 10 more no problem.

The WM bags I use are my summer and shoulder season bags. The Badger is a 15 degree rating (I think) but it amazingly light and compressible.
I also have a WM summer bag rated at 30, WM only makes down bags.

www.westernmountaineering.com

Buy it once, and be done.

Marmot makes some rectangular bags also, that I have considered for summer desert trips. More wiggle room.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Keys to sleeping warm...

I done my fair share of cold weather camping here in Utah. I'm not talking about subzero temps so much as the typical 10-30* degree Utah winter weather.

There are a few tricks that have been lent to me that seemed to have made more difference than bag upgrades even...

1. Open your bag and let it air out in the tent hours before bed. The theory is twofold, one is to let any excess moisture evaporate and the other is to allow the bag to billow out and expand, thus letting the insulation do its best job.

2. Change your clothes before bed. Even if you feel warm before crawling into bed the clothes you have been wearing all day have moisture in them, particularly undergarmets and socks. That moisture cools down fast! I won't always change my entire wardrobe before bed but at a minimum I'll put fresh socks on. Now we've all heard the 'sleep with nothing but your undies' rhetoric and while others may have found the secret I've never slept colder in my life. Maybe my bag (Kelty 0*) isn't designed for skin action?

3. Sack liner. A fleece or similar is good for roughly 10* of warmth. That is by no means scientific but I think it stands about right. I'll often unzip the sleeping bag and just stay zipped up in the bag liner.

Those are my little bedtime secrets, I'm sure you each have your own and I'd love to hear them. I know guys that take Nalgene bottles full of warm water into their bag, I tried the 'hot rocks' back in Boy Scouts... but nothing seems to be worth the effort other than the simple things I've been doing. Show me what I'm doing wrong!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I've been in the negatives a few times in my bag and not once woke up to shivering. It have gotten to the point that I don't want to get out of it in the morning because its so toasty.

For me its nothing but the skivvies, a beanie, and some wool/smart wool socks (must have for me if my feet are cold my whole body is) with the fleece liner.

If you are the campfire type it isn't a bad idea to sleep somewhat near the fire pit (with the fire out so you don't catch an amber :ugh:) as the ground will be warmer there. I've also noticed that if I sleep on a rock face area that catches the sun most of the day I will sleep warmer. It could be all in my head though :D

I don't get too extreme by any means, but the friends i have that do will say that the Wiggy's are where its at for extreme cold.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
There is NO industry standard for sleeping bag makers to rate the sleeping bags warmth by. Usually they will rate it at a survival rating meaning you shouldn't die. They are all rated in the best conditions meaning in an enclosed environment, on a sleeping pad. The hardest part is that everybody's metabolism is different. My wife can sleep in a -20 degree bag in the summer and be fine while I can barely sleep in it in the winter. I always look at the overall loft of the bag and pag I sleep on a system. I can use that number to give me an idea of what temp the setup is really rated for. I can say that you need to find that happy medium for size on a bag. too small and you compress the insulation, too large and you can't keep it warm. I agree with most of the tips that have been given
eat some calories before you go to bed. (I keep a sake of hersheys kisses next to my wife at night. she eats one if she starts to get cold quick burst of heat)
change your socks into fresh ones
don't have a full bladder (burning calories heat water instead of body)
beanie even if you have a mummy style hood
pad, pad, pad look for an R value of 4 or higher for winter 8 is best.
If your bag is long enough put next days clothes in the bottom so they will be warm in the morning.
due a few sit ups in the middle of the night
I second western mountaineering they are the best bags out there.

MOODY

Bald Guy
Kurt and Mesha, I think you are both right on. One thing I tell scout troops when I work with them is, "If you go to sleep cold, you will sleep cold" The idea is that going to bed isn't going to get you warmer. I will usually do a couple minutes of jumping jacks, or run in place to get my body warmed up before going to bed.

I also second the beanie. Even my summer bag has a lightweight beanie in the foot of it, it lives there all the time. I have been in the mountains in the summer and been super glad to have it there-might be that I am bald, but the concept is the same, regardless.

The mentioning of the pad you sleep on is critical as well. Too many times I hear of people who buy nice sleeping bags, but are upset in the morning when they sleep cold...only to look inside their tent to see an air mattress when it is winter time.
You must be well insulated from the ground to stay warm. On a particularly cold night in the Swell years back, I added the floormats from my truck underneath the sleeping pads I had (thermarest and a closed cell foam pad) that made me sleep even more comfy and warm. Everyone else was awake sitting in their trucks getting warm when I awoke well after 9am.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
One other tip that doesn't lend itself too well to the Scouts. A shot of Jager before bed. I call it the sweater I wear on the inside :D

Last edited: