Slide-in camper tech?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Who's running one of these? I think that's my next "thing" as I still want to have an RV type rig (miss our trailer a wee bit) but still want to tow the Jeep at times. I really do like the V10 truck so that leaves me with buying a short bed camper (likely not the roomiest but bigger than a RTT and it's hard sided) or a massive toy hauler that I'd likely want a diesel for.

Anyone have any comments on cheapish (say up to $5k) campers that fit a shortbed? I'm not opposed to selling the shortbed V10 and picking up a longbed but this truck's been pretty good to me. I'm also semi comfortable with swapping to a gooseneck and putting a bigger slide-in on that either (leaving a hauling area for the trail Jeep on the back). That leaves me with my current truck. Just not sure what's the best route.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I have a camper, which I love. It's a good solution for my need of a place to sleep, plus the ability to tow. Mine is a longbed though, I have no experience with the shortbed versions, and what changes that would entail.

I ended up with a 1999 Lance Lite 9.5'. It has electric jacks which I LOVE. Would not want one without those, they make loading/unloading really fast and easy. This size camper has a small bathroom/shower combo room and it works for our needs. It also has an outdoor shower that is convenient sometimes. The time limiter for us is the grey water, it fills up pretty fast. (especially when showering, even doing the quick "Navy shower". Here's where the outdoor shower could help out) I'm sure the black water could also be limiting, but we haven't had any problems with filling that up too fast. :)

Mine has an A/C unit, which has been nice a couple times but generally doesn't get used. It also has an awning that gets used more rarely than I thought it would, but is pretty nice when we do use it.

carsonc1974

We had an older 1995 northern camper. We liked it, but decided we wanted something smaller, lighter, and simpler. It was really heavy at like 4k lbs, and limited us to where we wanted to go. I want one of those little popup truck campers but haven't seen the right deal yet.

Something to consider is that the newer fords have a narrow tailgate opening. Many of the older campers won't fit in newer fords. At least I think it was the fords.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I had a 2004 Lance lite 845 for a few years. It's a short bed model, and I used it with my 97 PSD.

A big difference in the short bed models is the difficulty of getting any weight on the front axle of your truck.

Ford and GM short beds have the rear axle in front of the bed centerline, meaning more weight is carried by the rear axle and less (if any) is carried on the front axle.

I would load as much gear on the overhead bunk as I could to try and shift the payload weight forward. Never could get it to work, and the steering always seemed light when the camper was on. I never pulled a trailer with the camper on, and I hoped I would never need to.

Weight. Because all of the weight sat on the rear axle, it really squatted my rear suspension. Air bag overloads were absolutely mandatory.

I once moved that camper with a F 150 and it completely compressed the rear suspension until the axle sat on the bump stops (the dealer said this was a good camper for a 1/2 ton)

I would consider another truck camper in the future, but ONLY for a long bed, or mounted on the front of a goose neck trailer.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
We had a long bed with a 12' camper. It's been one of our favorites by far. We used a 4' hitch extension to get out behind the camper, and a equalizer hitch for the trailer. Worked awesome. Our jeep was not street safe, so it was sometimes frustrating to have our get around vehicle tied to the camper all the time. But over all it was a great experience.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Is a pop-up out of the question? Most (depending on brand) are relatively light. My truck (F350) sits an inch or so off of the overloads with my Four Wheel Camper on the back. I imagine your V10 wouldn't know it was back there. Given the weight it's not uncommon to see 8' pop-ups in 6' beds whereas it would probably not be a great idea with a full-size camper..

Weight is a trade off though. In most cases you wouldn't have lots of interior space, indoor shower, separate bathroom etc.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
One thing I remembered about when I was looking--there are two ways the bed up front can be oriented, either side-to-side or front-to-back. The sideways one will give a shorter overhang over the cab, the front-to-back makes it longer, and also gives you more storage on each side of the bed. Also, at least on mine, it gives you a cabinet on each side of the bed up front.

I'd be a bit wary about the pop-up type campers, only because I've been told you can't use them in Yellowstone and other places that are considered "bear country". I could certainly be wrong, but you should check into that before committing to one.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I'd be a bit wary about the pop-up type campers, only because I've been told you can't use them in Yellowstone and other places that are considered "bear country". I could certainly be wrong, but you should check into that before committing to one.

Good call. I was turned away from fishing bridge cg in Yellowstone for that very reason. I had no idea until I arrived that night.. Because I had already paid/made reservations they relocated me ~20 min down the road to a different campground that allowed soft sides/tents etc.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I like the popup type for the reasons you mention. I dislike the popup because of the same reasons I don't want to use a tent. I have never operated a popup and maybe they are significantly easier than a tent trailer? I was just SO sick of the tent trailer when I sold it, I've never really considered one again. I would look at one though. I do think a smallish hardside is likely the way to go? I want a lighter one (I've even had more than one dumb idea to make one after seeing some of the teardrop trailer builds and such), but still want a stove and heater. Sleeping for at least three (I like the idea of the bunk over the dinette rather than having to convert the dinette to a bed) and a small amount of storage would work for me?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
IMO, a pop up is the bad of both worlds. Still have to 'set up' your tent, still get the wind and rain and sand issues, etc that come with a tent. But then you still have to haul the hevy, large box that comes with a camper.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I like the popup type for the reasons you mention. I dislike the popup because of the same reasons I don't want to use a tent. I have never operated a popup and maybe they are significantly easier than a tent trailer?

I can't speak for all of them but my FWC is nothing like a tent trailer when it comes to setup. Walk around the exterior and pull six latches then climb inside and push the roof up--that's it. Dropping it is just as easy. The FWC's don't get the wind noise like some of the others do (I've put it to the test many times in windy Wyoming). The fabric pulls tight all around. It's not a hard side by any means but it's nowhere near--not even close to the noise of a tent or tent trailer.

The FWC's have an aluminium frame which is not only lighter but very robust. Lots of cargo space under all the seat cushions.

(trying not to sound like a salesman lol). Not for everyone but if you're considering a pop-up check out the FWC's.

Last edited:

Bart

I've been using a number of slide ins the past 4 years on my dad's truck, 2 hard sides and now a pop up.. He finally ended up with an 8 pop up in on his short bed chevy truck. The pop up section is electric as are the camper jacks. It makes loading and unloading a one person job. I will add an AC unit one day, but this works very well. I didn't know about the bear restrictions in Yellowstone, so I guess I won't use it there. This one has the winter liner on the upper part that is extremely well insulated. All in all it's a nice way to go, especially since I didn't have to buy it.

Pile of parts

We have 9' camper on a long bed and we really like it. There are only two of us and I can't imagine having more than two in it. I agree with Carl, get one with electric jacks. Ours doesn't have them but my next one will. ( I could add them but it would be easier - and cheaper - to sell mine and find one with them) Carl is also correct on the grey water situation. We have the exterior shower and I built a simple mount that I can hang a shower shelter off the side and we just shower outside or we stay in a campground. We didn't get one with AC as we figured most of the time we'd be trying to stay warm. There have been a couple of times it would have been nice but we're never hanging out in the camper during the day and evenings usually cool down. Our cab over bed run side to side but I definitely would look for one that runs front to back next time. More storage and you don't have to climb over each other to get in and out. I'd love to have the room of a trailer but we're always towing something when we take it so it meets our needs. You can actually get some fairly long campers for shortbeds but you get in to special hitches to extend past the camper for towing.

Cherokeester

camper

This is an 84 Lance which I believe is a 9 footer because it does lay on the tailgate and my truck is an 04 short bed. It tows fine even with the 2 jeep flat bed but it keeps you on your toes. I use an extender and weight distro. My camper is self contained with a bathroom (small) sleeps 4-5 but 2 is comfortable. I love the heat, ac and the pack n go concept plus the bed is like sleeping on feathers, no more hard ground for me. The tv and stereo are also a plus. This camper was very hard to find with a bathroom, it took some hard looking because it had to fit in the Ford short bed.
iphone pictures and vids 403.JPG

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
Ok, so now I have the slide-in. Took it out for an overnight with our church group this weekend. Worked pretty well. We'll need to adjust a bit to some of it but it checks all the major boxes for us. Lance 1010 with electric jacks is what we ended up with.

Just took the camper off the truck and realized I don't know if should support the floor of the camper (seems like the way to go?) or just let it sit on the jacks (seems like it would prematurely fatigue the structure without supporting the floor). When looking at campers, I've seen them supported or just hanging from the jacks.

Whats the preferential method for support? Sawhorses, stock tanks, dollies (wouldn't work well for me right now unless the tires were 33" or so) are all support methods I've seen.

Last edited:

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I've always set my campers on cinder blocks, although something taller would be nice. Once you see what those jacks are attached to, you'll see the need for the extra support. The jacks really aren't attached by much and I wouldn't trust them. Having dropped a camper once, it's not something I'd want to repeat.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I set mine on a wheeled dolly, which I use to move it sideways on my RV pad when it's off my truck. I do think you want to set it on something, whatever works for you. If you're on grass/dirt, make sure it's big enough footprint to not sink in.

Pile of parts

I keep mine on an angle iron base that I got with the camper. Supports the bottom and takes the weight off the jacks/corners. I set it on pavers because I'm in the gravel. When I have cement, I'll extend the legs an put it on castors. Then I can move it and not have to jack so far. Electric jacks will definitely be on the next camper.IMG_20170716_140806713_HDR.jpg