Trip Report Sliplock Gultch at Winter 4X4 Jamboree

Subarudude54

2nd day was on Sliplock Gulch. I am so new to this activity, that almost all trails I go on are for the first time. However this was my second time on Sliplock Gulch. I did it at Trail Hero in 2019. Then it was the second time I had taken out my 94 ZJ after completing it's build. So I had no confidence in what it can do, and was not confident in my own skills. So I bypassed all the major obstacles at the time. Though I remember easily going up the ledge right before the obstacle I know as hard top. But I bypassed hard top as everyone that attempted it seemed to have rigs built way more than mine, and they typically took 20 minutes to conquer it.

I have gained confidence since and this time intended to not bypass any of the obstacles. The first major obstacle I took the right side line and didn't have any difficulty except that I got way of camber with driver's side down, and I begged for someone to spot me out of that. Next on Horseshoe falls, I watched many in front of me struggle with seemingly very capable rigs. A TJ had to get strapped by the TJ that had gone up ahead of it. My turn came and with the excellent spotting I went right up on my first try.

Next came Hard Top, those that attempted it all made it, but it typically took 10 to 20 minutes for each rig. You spend at least 3 or 4 times trying to get your rig on the proper line, though the ledges which are nearly parallel to the rig try to keep you from getting the right line. I gained more confidence as I was closer to the 10 minutes it took me.

One last obstacle, the wide v-notch at the end. All the vehicles were gathered up above, didn't seem anyone was willing to try it. Brimming with confidence I headed in, didn't even wait for a spotter. Dumb. Got wedged in and a spotter came and while getting the vehicle loose I snapped my right rear axle shaft. But with the spotters help I was able to drive out and exited with some trouble the ledge leading out. Next vehicle through, a curiously well built Dodge Durango, got past the v-notch then at the ledge on the exit broke his rear driveshaft. Then our leader took his Samurai through and he tipped over on his side, luckily Samurai's are light and two men up-righted him, and he finished. Next a Buggy went through and trying a more challenging line to exit because the Durango was in the way, broke an axle like me. Then later a couple of JKU went through without incident. With disc brakes holding the wheel on, I was able to drive it back to the water tanks.

I was supposed to do John's trail on Saturday, but I put it on the trailer and came home, will pull the broken axle shaft today and go to Tear-a-Part to get a replacement and a spare. It's a Ford 8.8 axle by the way. I had a good time!