Transmission- 4 speed

T-Case- unknown

Axles-unknown

Suspension- unknown

Wheels and Tires- junk for now

Winch-none

Favorite Trails- America fork canyon

Other- just got this and ready to build & hit some trails
12313655_881716245229827_4275315998156811027_n.jpg12360386_881716215229830_2191974312259056517_n.jpg12375959_881716221896496_5623244647782930872_n.jpg

Last edited:

smartass_kid

guys says it's a 360 factory but can't find where a 360 was an option for that year. couldn't get close enough to the block to look for stamping to figure it out. it is a V8 and looks like a 360 engine from a Grand Wagoneer from my limited knowledge. going to get it home this weekend and go from there.

Pile of parts

Nice. Stock form woluld probably be t-176 transmission and a Dana 300 t-case with Dana 30 front axle and model 20 rear. Let us know what you find when you get into it.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
guys says it's a 360 factory but can't find where a 360 was an option for that year. couldn't get close enough to the block to look for stamping to figure it out. it is a V8 and looks like a 360 engine from a Grand Wagoneer from my limited knowledge. going to get it home this weekend and go from there.

A 360 would be nice! I've never heard of a factory 360 CJ5 either, be interesting to see what you have!

That thing is clean, great start for a resto-rig! Love the Boggers too.... :rofl:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Dudeeeeee, I forgot all about that. Sounds fun

It's one of my favorite trips each year and your CJ5 would be right at home. We did have a nice CJ5 attend last year... 2 would be even better

19346467031_c705a0587c_b.jpg

http://relicrun.com/PastRelicRuns/2015MurdockBasinBaseCamp.aspx

smartass_kid

Got this home last night and into the garage, cleaned off rest of snow and did some poking around. Found this so will need to fix before trying to steer
1227151724b.jpg
Found a kink and pinch in the hard lines coming from the manual fuel pump so cut it off and plan rule use rubber line with a clear filter to see any crud in the fuel.

smartass_kid

Thought I would update this.

Turns out cj5 is more of a mutt than i thought; 81 body on a 78 frame. Engine is an AMC 360 but out of something older than 82. I assumed previous owner had a title but we just did a bill of sale, good enough to get my stuff. After I told him I couldn't read VIN on firewall he sent me the old titles. Yes, plural. He never titled it since it was a toy so I have 2 crusty titles but only need the VIN for body, so cool I'm cool.

I followed a classic car start up guide and used marvel mystery oil in cylinders for few times before starting. Oil change, new plugs and coolant and first nice Sunday few weeks ago I rolled it out. It didn't run except for starter fluid I poured in it. Huh. I didn't realize fuel pump had a diaphragm in it, I assumed it was a valve thingies so first time I tried to start it, it pulled no fuel from can I had set up. I got a pump week or two later and now it's on. I also found 2 fuel lines along frame rails with only one being used. Pulled them out (going with rubber all the way to tank), also pulled "roll over check valve" and charcoal canister that were bypassed but still bolted up inside fender. Originally planed to clean and re-use tank but after I pulled it and found rust spores and peeling liner I decided not to. Found a tank assembly and skid on ksl and bolted it up.

I sold off the crazy wide rims since I didn't want run a 14" or wider tire. Grabbed some 15x8 from someone who was moving and selling for cheap. Going tomorrow to get some 33" MT and toss them on.

once that's done, I plan to roll out of garage and fire it up, again.

smartass_kid

Had a friend flake out but got my wife to crank it over while I sprayed starter fluid and it fired up! Ran rough but did idle on it's own and no horrible noises.
Turns out the drag link that I replaced rubs the SOA Leaf springs when turning to one side, so I'm replacing with a drop Pitman arm once I wrestle the factory one off.
Going to flat tow to the gas station to fill up the tank then actually drive it around and see what else pops up as needing repair