Smith Lakes

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Has anyone been back into Smith Lakes yet this year since the snow melted off and can comment on conditions? We have never been up there but are thinking about camping up at Bountiful Peak CG and exploring a bit, and a nice break from the heat is always a plus.

XJEEPER

The Smith Creek drainage crosses my family ranch in Morgan Co and when I was up there 2 weeks ago, there was not much snow left at the high elevations.
I haven't been to the Smith Creek lakes since last year on July 4th, which there was no snow present at that time last year. With the heavier snowpack this past winter, there will likely be some snow drifts lingering in the shade, but you should be able to reach the first lake by this weekend and maybe drop into the 2nd basin to the northern most lakes, snow permitting.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
The Smith Creek drainage crosses my family ranch in Morgan Co and when I was up there 2 weeks ago, there was not much snow left at the high elevations.
I haven't been to the Smith Creek lakes since last year on July 4th, which there was no snow present at that time last year. With the heavier snowpack this past winter, there will likely be some snow drifts lingering in the shade, but you should be able to reach the first lake by this weekend and maybe drop into the 2nd basin to the northern most lakes, snow permitting.

Thank you for the input, we mostly just want to go up and relax for a few days and get out of the heat, maybe scout a bit for deer. Read mixed reports about fish in the 3rd lake, but the dogs would have fun regardless.