Smoked Turkey Drumsticks?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've been thinking about doing something different for Thanksgiving this year, smoking a handful of Turkey Drumsticks on the Traeger. We will probably do a Turkey Breast in the oven too, but since it's just us two we don't need a whole bird.

Anyone ever smoked these? Any tips? I've eaten several smoked Turkey Drumsticks... perhaps I need to make a practice run.

I'm thinking start out with a brine the day before cooking, then inject them with a brine/butter/seasoning mix. Probably smoke them on low for hours and cook to temp?

Hmmm.... quick search turned this up.- https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/poultry/smoked-turkey-legs

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I found the "best" smoked turkey brine on the internet a few years ago. Followed the directions to a tee. Ended up being the worst tasking bird I have cooked. Wish I could remember where I found it. I'd steer you clear of it.

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
I always brine a bird but never found it necessary to inject. 32 oz of Apple juice and water 1:1 with a cup of brown sugar and your favorite poultry rub, let it soak for at least 24 hours.

I go heavy on the smoke at the start because a bird cooks fast compared to the other meats. Plus you need to keep the temp over 300* or the skin doesn't crisp, nothing worse than boogery chicken skin.

muleskinner

If you're brining your bird be sure to get a fresh one. Most birds you get at the store are already injected with a ton of salt and crap! Not sure on the legs.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Well, its ON! We ordered a case of turkey legs (12!!) from a local meat market, they said they're very high quality and a good supplier. We're also going to smoke a turkey breast at the same time, to have an alternative to the legs with white meat. The guy at the market recommended brining the legs for 36 hrs minimum. I bought all my ingredients for the brine, have seasoning on hand, etc.

Haven't had time to do a test run, so hopefully it all turns out alright! :eek:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I'm doing this recipe. I've liked this guys stuff in the past so I figured I'd give this one a go too. I have a 12 lb bird and am going to drop it in the brine here in a few hours. It'll be interesting to be cooking tomorrow in the snow, I need to stop on my way home for more pellets. I'm thinking I'll use pecan and cherry.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I'm doing this recipe. I've liked this guys stuff in the past so I figured I'd give this one a go too. I have a 12 lb bird and am going to drop it in the brine here in a few hours. It'll be interesting to be cooking tomorrow in the snow, I need to stop on my way home for more pellets. I'm thinking I'll use pecan and cherry.
I am surprised you are doing a turkey! Are you planning to eat some of it?