Smoked turkey, the next day?

DAA

So, all the awesome smoker posts here motivated me to get a Traeger. Have had it about a month, been using it a lot. Should have got one a long time ago, been loving it! Going to do my first smoked turkey for Christmas day.

I'd also like to do a prime rib, too though.

So, question, how good is a smoked turkey the next day? Thinking I might do the turkey the day before and the prime rib the day of.

- DAA

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
What makes a smoked turkey really tasty is to cure it first then cool smoke for a long time. Not brine but curing salt to keep it safe during the long cool smoking. Curing makes it come out similar to ham. It's a bit overwhelming to serve like a traditional roasted turkey but makes great sandwiches.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
For Thanksgiving we were camping. One of the guys in our group previously smoked a turkey and then put it in vacuum sealed plastic bags. For Thanksgiving dinner he put the bags in warm water to reheat the turkey. It turned out fantastic.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I'm thinking of possibly reheating next day in my regular turkey roaster. Concerned with drying it out more than anything.

- DAA
For Thanksgiving this year, I smoked 2 turkey breast the sunday before. I carved them and put them in the fridge and poured the drippings over them in the pan. On Thanksgiving we warmed it up in the oven and no body could tell a difference between the one I did on Thanksgiving and the ones I did early.

We've been enjoying the leftovers still too and they are great!

Kevin B.

Big hippy
For Thanksgiving we were camping. One of the guys in our group previously smoked a turkey and then put it in vacuum sealed plastic bags. For Thanksgiving dinner he put the bags in warm water to reheat the turkey. It turned out fantastic.

I said god damn. Ok screw chili, we're having turkey dinner for FYTO 11.

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
Turkey reheats well

I did both a turkey and a PR on Thanksgiving day. Get the bird in at 8am, then keep it in a warm oven once it's done and start the PR. Turkey will take +/- 3 hours, PR should take about 25 mins per pound at 270*. Remember to only take the PR to about 137* unless you want it med or darker

Reactions: DAA

mesha

By endurance we conquer
We reheated some of the turkey I smoked this year and it was great. I think it might have been better than the day of.

Reactions: DAA

DAA

Follow up...

Turkey smoked the day before and reheated was a big hit. Might have been the best one I ever made.

Prime rib was an even bigger hit (Don's Meats). I stashed the end cuts for myself and the rest got inhaled with everyone oohing and ahhhing over how delicious it was.

Total Christmas pig out. It was awesome.

Should have got a pellet grill long ago.

- DAA

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Follow up...

Turkey smoked the day before and reheated was a big hit. Might have been the best one I ever made.

Prime rib was an even bigger hit (Don's Meats). I stashed the end cuts for myself and the rest got inhaled with everyone oohing and ahhhing over how delicious it was.

Total Christmas pig out. It was awesome.

Should have got a pellet grill long ago.

- DAA

What method did you use to reheat?