Snakes/5MP on 19 September 2020

Gawynz

On a separate thread @mbryson and myself teased the idea of a Snakes/5 Mile Pass Run, I'm starting this thread to make it official. The weather is supposed to be beautiful on Saturday, I'm thinking an early-ish morning wheeling trip that lets us get home at a reasonable time. I'd like to run Rattlesnake, Sidewinder, and Constrictor in whatever order, but I'm open to changing that list as well. I propose we meet at the trail head (Sunshine parking lot) at 9am, be on the trail at 9:30am. Who's interested?

Gawynz

I haven't been before - how do I get there? Not sure if I can go, but still want to know where it is.

Hopefully you can make it, either way I threw this PowerPoint together (had to make it a PDF to attach it) to help me remember where things were, it's ugly but it works haha. Most of the info I got from some RME threads which I've also linked in the PP. No guarantees it's correct, but it should be close ha.

Possibly... Sounds good, just have to check the schedule. Been out of town the last two weekends.

Come ooooon, it's only a half day run (like most of us haven't said that before and then gotten home at 10pm). Seriously though, it'd be fun to wheel with you, I think we've crossed paths twice this summer but haven't really ran a trail.

Damnit, I'm supposed to be building a trailer. I'll go if Shane goes.
See you there

Sounds like we've got at least 3!

Hope you can make it @Anchorman. I think the pin you posted above is a tad north of the Sunshine Road parking area, here are the coordinates I was thinking.

Sunshine Road Parking Area (click link)

Attachments

• 5 Mile Pass Routes.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 17

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Google is stupid. The Sunshine Canyon turnoff is actually where Anchorman posted his pin, but Google shows the Rattlesnake turnoff/parking area mislabeled as Sunshine Canyon.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Whats the difficulty for this trail - is it something a stock Gladiator rubicon can handle or do I need the TJ on 40's? Need to talk to the wife.

Paul R

Whats the difficulty for this trail - is it something a stock Gladiator rubicon can handle or do I need the TJ on 40's? Need to talk to the wife.

With some care, stock Gladiator will have no problem on Rattlesnake. However, the TJ on 40's will be a better choice for Constrictor, though it has mellowed a bit through the years.

Gawynz

I'd vote the TJ. Honestly I've only wheeled there once and we just ran Rattlesnake. Below are links for the three trails that give a difficulty rating and a bit of detail.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Just means I need to load the TJ on the trailer. Is there tow rig parking available - is the Sunshine Canyon parking area a good spot/secure?

Thanks for the trail descriptions. It will be a lot more fun in the TJ and not worrying about body damage.

Gawynz

Is there tow rig parking available - is the Sunshine Canyon parking area a good spot/secure?

Yes, there is trailer parking available and I think it's as secure as any. We should plan to park at the pin Anchorman posted, if that lot is too full or something we can park at the one I posted which is just south a bit.

Anyone opposed to meeting at the Sunshine Canyon parking lot at 9? If not, lets make that the plan.