Snap ouch

neagtea

Supporting Member
This last weekend was test #2 for my old school scrambler.
I say old schol due to Spring under rear and spring over front.
I used a Yukon aluminum center section in the 9".
I built them for 8 second full body drag cars so it should work right?
The difference is Instead of using strange or mark williams I cheaped it and used a Yukon, This is IMHO a Harbor Freight version.
Ran prichett and Behind the rocks backwards the photos depict what happened going up High Dive.
The front shaft "shelled" trying to finish the trail. Needless to say I rode the strap the rest of the way.

Attachments

• DSC01272.jpg
    DSC01272.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC01275.jpg
    DSC01275.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC01278.jpg
    DSC01278.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 103

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
No kidding... just pulled the threads right out?

Did the pinion get dinged up too bad or is it still good to go?

neagtea

Supporting Member
I tossed it in the back and haven't looked too closely.
More to follow.
I made sure I had full thread engagement when it was assembled.
I am looking for a replacement. It has to be the large carrier brg. model and nodular iron.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I tossed it in the back and haven't looked too closely.
More to follow.
I made sure I had full thread engagement when it was assembled.
I am looking for a replacement. It has to be the large carrier brg. model and nodular iron.

I'd think about sending that thing back to Yukon. Might be worth a shot! Who knows.

Great looking CJ8 btw!

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The Strange dropouts seem to be good quality, and cheaper than most other options. Maybe Randy's will trade you, or partial trade? :confused:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
That SUCKS. :(

OH! hey, if you end up just tossing that center, instead of them taking it back or something-- I could use it for some setup on that Ballistic 609 I have. :D

hope you get it sorted without cost to you. :(

neagtea

Supporting Member
Update,
I haven't talked to Randy yet, I did talk to my buddy in LV that own's Gearworks (Trophy Truck Gear guru).
We laughed for a while at the carnage, now I have the nodular strange center coming with a 9.5" r&p
Overkill? Yes but the price was right. Most of his centers also have a load bolt installed. Overkill? Yes but cool. More pics later.
Tacoma, I will let ya know about the aluminum center. If Yukon isn't interested I will add it to my broken junk modern art tribute.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Dang. Aluminum center doesn't seem like a strong choice for bashing on rocks unless its a more exotic alloy.

That's cool about the new third. Id like to see some pics when you get it. Sounds like your next step will be bracing that housing ;)

neagtea

Supporting Member
Junk updated,
I installed a strange nodular with a 9.5" gearset and the super duty Gear works Trophy Truck pinion support and yoke. A few pics to follow

Attachments

• DSC01300.jpg
    DSC01300.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 19

neagtea

Supporting Member
More,
light duty daytona copy pinion support verses extreme duty gear works stuff, notice the thickness and oh yeah the 9.5 is a 35 spline pinion.
Also the center uses a 3 bolt plate to hold the pocket brg. in.
Also a pic of the 9 and the 9.5 and a 9.5 and a 60 standard rotate set, 35 spline detroiy next to the TT spool

For fun I tossed in a few pics of an old chrisman TT spool I had laying around with a 35 spline 1.5"axle inside. If I remember it is a 40 spline 2 & 9/16" beast. They also flatten the splines on the pass side and engage the pass axle under the ring to try and equalize the load on the carrier.

The 9.5 and 10" ring and pinions only hold up 1-2 races in a hard running TT. Gear works has a 5K gearset that can last up to a season. Alot depends on the driver.
Enjoy

Attachments

• DSC01295.jpg
    DSC01295.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC01304.jpg
    DSC01304.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC01302.jpg
    DSC01302.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC01305.jpg
    DSC01305.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC01306.jpg
    DSC01306.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC01296.jpg
    DSC01296.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC01297.jpg
    DSC01297.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 11

neagtea

Supporting Member
The guy I bought the beer can third from ( Quick Performance) an advertiser in Car Craft and Hot Rod Mag. gave me a refund on the center. "Good Service".
An American built unit would have held up The butter the Indians use for casting blows.
It is my fault for cheaping it. I would not be afraid to run a MW or Strange alum. center.