Snowbird and AFC

Corban_White

I know this stuff has been discussed before here but the following was posted on a snowmobile forum. Most of it will apply to summer use as well. Note the public meeting on Feb 4.

The post below is from Protect and Preserve American Fork Canyons Facebook page, those who are not aware can read below and look on the facebook page about the recent history.

In a nut shell we need anybody and everybody to come to the Utah County Commissioner meeting Feb 4 at 5:15 at room 1400 of the Utah County Administration Building located at 100 East Center Street in Provo, Utah.
They will be discussing historic use of these areas Snowbird is looking to close to the public. If you use American fork canyon in any capacity please come to this meeting. Your support will go a long way in showing Utah County whats going on up American Fork Canyon.

Thanks!

ATTENTION SNOWMOBILERS: Urgent Help Needed to Protect Utah Riding Area SUMMER and WINTER.

Thanks for your attention to this. This saga has been going on for about a year now. When we found out about the land swaps that snowbird was proposing in upper american fork canyon that is forest lands in exchange for land in Little Cottonwood canyon, that, you could never sled on. They wanted 416 acres that would make all their land contiguous, connecting them all together, which would give them full control of Mary Ellen and upper Mineral Basin. We were able to stop that at the last minute, but they are still pursuing the take over of Mary Ellen with a gondola all the way from hidden peak (where their new huge restaurant is) all the way to the south shoulder of the South Twin Peak. They also want to put a chair all the way down by the yanks mine in Mary Ellen. The gripe is they post signs up on these rights of way and forest roads saying no trespassing, no atv, etc. Snowmobiles have been brought up in several of the meetings, both the Board of Adjustments, the commissioners, and snowbird have pretty much agreed that no access would be granted for snowmobiles because of safety. After all, how can you have sledders climbing the twins through skiers on the mountain? Once again our argument is these roads 111 up Mary Ellen, 007, up mineral basin, 193 that goes up from silver lake, are public roads to be accessed ALL year round. I've attached a crude map in the area we are concerned about. The red lines are approximately where snowbird wants to put in chairs and zip line, the blue is close to what snowbird owns. This will land lock forest lands to the twin peaks and land from miller hill to their existing property. I've included a Forest map with these roads as well. There are a couple county roads on another map but this will give you an idea.

Generally speaking all those who use the canyon don't want snowbird in. Their ultimate goal from Snowbirds own Bob Bonar would be homes on miller hill and a tram to tibble fork where utah county could access snowbird.

Feb 4 at 5:15 at room 1400 of the Utah County Administration Building located at 100 East Center Street in Provo, Utah.

We are compiling a packet from different user groups to present to the board of adjustments by Monday of next week. If you want to put something together we can include that.

Items that are important:

A history as far back as you can on how your group has used the canyon, especially up Mary Ellen and mineral. I know when taking photographs I have seen sled tracks all over the bowl just below the AF twin peaks.
Thoughts on year round access on public roads wether county or forest, to access public lands.
How many you represent, your personal background

I know time is an issue but our web site has lots http://americanforkcanyon.com
And our Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ProtectAmer...Canyon?fref=nf

Please spread the word that we need help to save this area. We need photos and stories of Snowmobilers in this area, razors/4wheelers/motorbikes on the roads and trails. Please email them to
willie@holdman.com