Jeep So... I just put down a deposit- The Britney rebuild thread.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The plans for this old girl are starting to come together in my mind. The budget is nonexistent for a year at least, so labor is about all I can throw at it.

Short term plans -

Lower the overall height. She's pretty tall by today's standards and I can see where that could be easy to bring the rear down 3-4". The front is gonna be more difficult, as the drag link is already close to the frame. Maybe switch out the TRE's on the drag link to heims, or flip the steering arm and TRE upside down. That could get me enough room for a 3" drop. Full hydro steering would solve a lot of that for me, but budget.

The body is getting pretty rotten. Mostly the floors and tub sides. I'm not sure I can do much about that for now. I'd like to see if I can find 4-1 gears for the Dana 300 and an HD output and try to swap the welded rear carrier for a Detroit. Other than that, just generally cleaning things up.

Long term plan -

Completely rework the cage/chassis from the A pillar back. I want to keep the hood, grill, cowl, and the upper half of the firewall. This would be a massive undertaking for the amount of free time I have, and I'm not as talented as Herzog. I'd like to emulate his chassis as best as I can from the A pillar back. The tubing would extend further back, but I think I'll leave the wheelbase where it's at. Maybe an Atlas, maybe 5.38's. Definitely full hydro and link the front suspension. This is probably a 5 year plan.

4D494AD3-31C5-4FF6-8FAB-A67EF2AEF9AD.jpeg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I just want to say I love the wheels. That's my favorite style on almost any rig.

That's all. Carry on.
They probably won't stick around too long. They're a 16.5" so tire choice is limited and there may or may not be a safety bead on them. On the other hand, military surplus tires will fit them and those are very affordable.

Pile of parts

Lower the overall height. She's pretty tall by today's standards and I can see where that could be easy to bring the rear down 3-4". The front is gonna be more difficult, as the drag link is already close to the frame. Maybe switch out the TRE's on the drag link to heims, or flip the steering arm and TRE upside down. That could get me enough room for a 3" drop. Full hydro steering would solve a lot of that for me, but budget.

This was my biggest struggle in building mine. I wanted to keep it as low as possible and packaging everything on a full frame build was tough. I thought the same as you, that full hydro would simplify a few things, but I wasn't sure that was the way I wanted to go right now and it certainly wasn't in the budget. Again, this was my first link build and this i what I came up with. Probably nothing new to others who have done this. I ran my drag link to the underside of my high-steer arm. Using heims bought me a little clearance but I had to notch the frame as well. I ended up making some 1/4" thick gussets that tie into the "notched" frame and back to the strut towers - which are tied together side to side in the engine bay. Hopefully I don't tear the front end of the frame off on my first winching opportunity. I think I should be good, as I plated the modified frame horns, inside and out, back to where the strut towers are frenched into the frame. Again, probably nothing really innovative but I always find it interesting to see other people's builds and ideas. Hard to get a great picture but hopefully you can see what I'm talking about.
IMG_20200927_090140093.jpg
IMG_20200927_090940896.jpg

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
First drive!
View attachment 131659

WTF did I buy this death trap? 😂

Just like the singer, this girl got ISSUES. Lots of sounds I shouldn't be hearing, the leaf springs move more than the steering. The exhaust touches the bell housing and many other things it shouldn't. She's a gem!

At least we all know when we look at the windshield its a four wheel drive