So I picked up a project TJ

J-mobzz

I’ve been casually looking for a mild project. I picked up this 1999 Tj. Now I know some of you are going to look at the first few pictures and be like angry grill, massive pocket flares, eBay, light bars, and purple…. That doesn’t look like a project that looks like a completed masterpiece.

IMG_0456.jpeg
IMG_0455.jpeg

I took it for a test drive, and it went into instant death wobble around 35 mph. The jeep appears to have about a two or 3 inch lift and an aftermarket front track bar that was running a hiem joint on the frame side that was completely trashed.

After some negotiation I handed over some cash tried to call AAA to come pick it up. They wouldn’t because it’s not registered called if you tow truck companies they wouldn’t tow it because it didn’t have a license plate.

So I hit up @Hickey and he was super clutch in letting me borrow his trailer to get home. Sidenote, that trailer tows jeep so freaking well. If I didn’t know any better, I would say it was purpose built for that.
IMG_0459.jpeg

I got it home in first thing was first.
70572153709__E2F1B5A7-CFED-4C87-AA0A-2D814A2E30D5.jpeg

Yesterday I hit up midnight, 4 x 4, and replaced the bad joint on the track bar. And ripped off those hideous fender flares. I had emissions done yesterday and then went and registered it today. I’ve driven it around town a little bit taking it on the freeway. It drives pretty good but the rear end felt a little weird so I took a look at that and the track bar bracket does move some so I think I’m probably just going to weld that into place. And see if that fixes the issue everything seems tight otherwise.

So my plans for this are pretty simple I’m not looking to build a rock crawler, but it would be nice to do some easier trails and be comfortable off-road. But I do have twins that are going to be driving soon and they’re already fighting over who gets the jeep so having some thing that is kid friendly wouldn’t hurt my feelings either.

I ordered some 33 1250s and some new wheels. Stock style fender, flares. And a bunch of supplies to get going on bodywork. I plan on painting the whole thing definitely with a color change and just trying to put together a clean little TJ on 33’s I’ll probably add an arb or other selectable locker.

I’m not sure what it’s geared currently. It has 245 tires on it and to reach 65 mph on GPS speedometer is currently reading nearly 85 miles an hour in 5th gear.

And 60 mph on GPS in fourth gear which I believe should be one to one ratio is nearly at 3000 RPMs. So it may have some stock gearing? I’m not sure what size tire that jeep would’ve come with factory. But I’m guessing it’s probably 3.73 or 4.10s
I’ll have to see how it drives with the new tires and decide if I want to regeared down to 456 or 488 when I add the rear locker.

J-mobzz

I had just looked at this on Facebook marketplace, was considering it for my daughter’s first car…. She said she doesn’t want a wrangler.. who the hell is in High school and doesn’t want a wrangler to drive? I’m starting to loose faith in this generation.
That’s a good question. I have a much newer nicer 2018 Jetta kicking around for the kids to drive and mine are arguing over this old turd pile of a Jeep trying to convince the other the car would be better for them.

They are also both very excited to learn to drive a manual 🤷🏻‍♂️

I picked them up from school yesterday and the first thing one of them said when they opened the door was why didn’t you bring the Jeep.

Die Blaue Ziege

Working on a Ford somewhere
That’s a good question. I have a much newer nicer 2018 Jetta kicking around for the kids to drive and mine are arguing over this old turd pile of a Jeep trying to convince the other the car would be better for them.

They are also both very excited to learn to drive a manual 🤷🏻‍♂️

I picked them up from school yesterday and the first thing one of them said when they opened the door was why didn’t you bring the Jeep.
so, I had to edit this, my daughter is going to learn to drive stick, if for no other reason than if she is ever somewhere and needs to drive someone to safety and there is only a manual trans vehicle (think back country off roading) she will be capable to do it :) so for the rant earlier.

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
My tj is also a stick, I told both my daughters you will learn to drive the jeep because I want you to be able to drive stick, we started her out in parking lots with the jeep, yes she struggled but she was getting it down. Then her little bitch of a boyfriend shows up and tells me how I should teach her on the easy automatic car first and there is really no need for my daughter to learn to drive a manual. I love how he thinks he knows more and better than me. Just because he can’t drive a manual doesn’t mean my daughter shouldn’t. Sorry to rant, just having a hard time dealing with this guy…

Boyfriends are stupid.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I’m not sure what it’s geared currently. It has 245 tires on it and to reach 65 mph on GPS speedometer is currently reading nearly 85 miles an hour in 5th gear.

And 60 mph on GPS in fourth gear which I believe should be one to one ratio is nearly at 3000 RPMs. So it may have some stock gearing? I’m not sure what size tire that jeep would’ve come with factory. But I’m guessing it’s probably 3.73 or 4.10s

For a 1999 4.0L TJ, you had two choices: either 3.07 or 3.73 axle ratio. If you crawl underneath and take a close look at the front pumpkin, you'll see stamped numbers telling you the (stock) ratio.

danaid.gif

Or, if you're lazy, you can shoot me the last 8 digits of the VIN and I'll look it up for you.

J-mobzz

For a 1999 4.0L TJ, you had two choices: either 3.07 or 3.73 axle ratio. If you crawl underneath and take a close look at the front pumpkin, you'll see stamped numbers telling you the (stock) ratio.

danaid.gif

Or, if you're lazy, you can shoot me the last 8 digits of the VIN and I'll look it up for you.

Looks like I have 3.73

What’s the general thought? Re gear for 33’s? If so what would you do?

Or maybe I would be better off just running it and if I don’t like it look at an 8.8 swap or something like that before I hear it so I could run 35’s down the road.

Last edited:

J-mobzz

I threw the new tires on. I’m actually completely fine with the gearing. It runs on the freeway at 75 just fine.

The speedometer still reads about 6.5% fast. Seems wrong for stock gears and 33’s. I’m leaning towards the idea it’s been geared down.

IMG_0522.jpeg

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
The speedometer still reads about 6.5% fast. Seems wrong for stock gears and 33’s. I’m leaning towards the idea it’s been geared down.

Put the rear on a Jack and count the wheel to driveline spin ratio. That’ll give you your hearing for sure.

Edit: funny story time. My brothers buddy bought a Ford ranger in high school. It had different sized tires front and rear. Obviously that’s no good for a four-wheel-drive so we changed the tires to match. The truck bound up really bad in four-wheel-drive. It seemed like the front tires were always locking up. It turns out that someone has swapped the rear axle with one that had different gears. They had the odd size tires because of the different gearing in the truck. 🤣🤦🏼‍♂️

STAG

On my grind
I’m not super familiar with TJ’s, I think early years were a mechanical speedometer cable and then later years went to the electronic (vss?) Or maybe all TJ’s were electronic.

Either way it should be fairly simple to calibrate back to an accurate reading once you decide you aren’t going to mess with gearing any further.