Toyota So this happened:

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370143066.085246.jpg

My rear shock seized up and went crunchsnickety while performing gangsterly on MT backroads. They are ProComp ES9000 but I cannot find reference to the numbers on it on 4WP website.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370143265.050592.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370143283.134372.jpg

So it would seem that this may be disco'd. I have land cruiser springs on the back of my 3rd Gen 4Runner (D.A.V.e) what alternatives have others used. I have no issue with the ProComp, I only paid like $30 for them almost 3years ago and would buy again if I could find them.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Those numbers are most likely not anything related to ProComp's numbers...just the manufacturer of the shock.

Probably just look for any 3"-ish lift application shock. If you like the cheap ProComp's, then that makes one of you--but go ahead and get what makes you happy. :p I like the Bilsteins I put on my Ferd, and I liked the Bilsteins that were on my 4runner before.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I went to summit racing when I blew mine,.or Amazon and typed in the number on my es 3000 shock and it pulled up an almost exact number, seems like the first letter our number was missing.any ways I ordered it and it was the same shock

Pike2350

View attachment 82752

My rear shock seized up and went crunchsnickety while performing gangsterly on MT backroads. They are ProComp ES9000 but I cannot find reference to the numbers on it on 4WP website.

View attachment 82753
View attachment 82754

So it would seem that this may be disco'd. I have land cruiser springs on the back of my 3rd Gen 4Runner (D.A.V.e) what alternatives have others used. I have no issue with the ProComp, I only paid like $30 for them almost 3years ago and would buy again if I could find them.

The part # should be the 92251X The numbers for Pro Comp's are 6 digits. The last digit signifies what hardware is included (sleeve sizes) I would guess a 922510 would work..it has 4 sleeve sizes to choose from I believe.

Jack-It will most likely have them in stock....They may also be a 922513...again it depends on the sleeves that are needed for the lower....but should be able to figure it out based off a basic stock Pro Comp appication shock(the last digit should be the same)

Last edited:

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
All the ProComp shocks listed anywhere seem to have the wrong ends and Bilstein only lists a 2.5" raised shock on Summit.
The OME application guide is in Australian and difficult to figure out.

The way the ProComp was chosen, Bear looked up the shock that came with the 2.5" lift kit then got the physical dimensions of that shock and then looked up one that was an inch longer.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
If you want cheapies, look at DoetschTech 3000s. I ran them on the '86, they weren't horrible. Low Range breaks them down by length and hardware on the ends, pretty easy to order if you know your length extended and compressed.

I'll never use them again since I've become an OME fanboy though. I'm sold on the Nitrochargers, got 'em on both trucks and I love them.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
The way the ProComp was chosen, Bear looked up the shock that came with the 2.5" lift kit then got the physical dimensions of that shock and then looked up one that was an inch longer.

So why can't you find another shock - ProComp or any other brand for that matter - this same way? Or just measure the one that you obviously have off the truck...

I'l agree with some of the subtle hints being dropped that you should buy shocks that aren't ProComps... Not that they are bad shocks, I just don't think they are the best choice for your application.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
I can call Kurt tomorrow, I guess I was thinking that someone might know exactly what fits based upon their own experience.

Another question; if this shock was seized in the extended position, does that mean it wasn't long enough? If that's the case, there's really no point going after a shock with the same dimensions.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I replaced my completely non-functional Ranchos when I swapped the expo-proven 1-ton axles into the Burb with shiny new ProComps and they.. are also non-functional, no change in ride quality at all. Somewhat disappointed in my "investment". Never again. Maybe they make rims that are ok, I don't know.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Driving around with the one shock missing, I don't notice a difference. Maybe it hasn't been helping the whole time?