Social Media ... Or Lack Thereof...

Coco

So, with all the crap going on in the world, I decided to turn off Facebook for a while. Wow, I am amazed how nice it has been to not have that toxic cesspool in my life. I still have a couple other social media accounts like Instagram, but where that is just photos, it has been pretty nice to just enjoy life a bit more, and escape. Focusing on the house, upcoming marriage, vacations, time with the family and actually talking to one another, its been quite nice.

Anyone else have similar views?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I get a lot of benefit from FB in land use, clubs, ect. But it has always been mixed with the garbage. Lately, I have just been unfriending and unfollowing anything that I don't want. It's made my feed pretty slow to update to new things.. but it's better.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I ignore FB 99% of the time. The rare occasion I do check up on it, is more annoyance than anything else. So I keep ignoring. :)

Pike2350

I've never had a real social media account. I had a fake FB account for a short bit only because my old wheeling group went that route. I never figures out how to use it and didn't even use a legit name
I have not gotten one of the other accounts and instead use forums. It's sad to see so many fade and die....but oh well.

I have found that I feel like I'm missing out here or there but generally I hear about more drama and people being asshats....and then I am glad I don't have any accounts.

4x4_Welder

I pretty much just hang out here and on the automotive side of Reddit. Even over there some idiots try to tell the loudest to prove they're right. I don't even go into the diesel section anymore.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I have never actually created a facebook account. I do use my wife's account to check early bronco classifieds though. I do have instagram, and like that because I keep it contained. I limit the amount of news I watch nowadays too. I get pretty sick of being inundated with stories about what the next thing is that's going to kill us all.

Coco

Yep, I have never done or wanted to do the tweeters, but the others were fun. FB does have some nice things about it, but like everything else said it has been ridiculous seeing all the crap on everything going on in the world. IG is nice at least, as it is smaller (for me) and nice to just see photos/videos. This change with no FB might become permanent, I haven't decided.

It would be nice to see forums make a come back though, I have been listening to Conversations w/ Big Rich, and he was talking with Lance Clifford about Pirate. Mentioned that Facebook pretty much killed forums (and the company that bought PBB helped), and he was lucky to sell when he did. It has actually been fun to hear those conversations with the 4WD members and history surrounding the offroad world. I recommend giving them a listen.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
In the past couple of years, I've noticed and uptick in forum usage again. I'm sure Greg and Shane could speak better about it, but I think people are heading back to forums in the automotive world. It'll never be like it was, but its better.

The FB groups are getting too diluted, IMO. There is no structure, no depth to them. Anyone can create a FB group and so many people have, its impossible to keep up with all of them... IMO.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I need FB and IG in my life because of rock crawling. I want to keep up with what our competition homies are working on and I find a lot of useful technical info on there. I screenshot something and save it almost daily.

When people start to bug me I either unfollow, take a break or unfriend them. It's as easy to manage that as it is to not turn on the news.

xjtony

In the past couple of years, I've noticed and uptick in forum usage again. I'm sure Greg and Shane could speak better about it, but I think people are heading back to forums in the automotive world. It'll never be like it was, but its better.
I've noticed this as well. More organized runs, more people making posts. Hats off to Greg and Shane. I think even simple stuff like the RME monthly planning thread make a difference.