Solar power who’s the best?

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
Now that I have it it's great! But the install process was a nightmare.

My situation was odd though. First company we went with went out of business shortly after our permitting process finalized and nobody told us till the new company that bought all the contracts started making the rounds. Then I think there was just a ton of staffing issues and miscommunications with all their new people that left us on the back burner. I first contracted with them back in June and just finally got the panels turned on last week.

I had to call weekly through this whole process to keep them doing their job.

Biggest things I'd recommend is whatever company you go with, make sure you can buy the panels outright, either through loan or full purchase. When I was doing my research there was a lot companies that you basically leased the panels or they took a lien out on your house.

The company that bought our contract was Suntuity. They always picked up the phone and tried their darndest to get me answers, but they never let me know when inspectors were coming out, and they would never call me back with answers the next day when they said they would.
Because of the delays they upgraded us panel types twice so if I ever see a power bill again I might become violent.

Last edited:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
When my wife was in escrow/title, she had lots of horror stories about sellers trying to sell homes with solar. Something to the tune of the seller has to pay off the solar "loan" or contract before selling and that wasn't something they were expecting. I could ask her more about the specifics if you want.

comingdown

I don’t plan on selling and ideally would just like to buy them outright so that’s now an issue. The main reason we’re thinking about it is we’re doing a pool and thought this could help offset some of that expense each month. But maybe that’s just wishful thinking.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
Depending too on what your budget is because it can increase the price a lot, see if you can get a battery system. Most solar companies all you're doing is offsetting your power and then sending any extra back to your powers company.

If you want to have back up power for if there is any kind of power outage you have to run a battery unit.

That's my only regret but from what I could find it was not in the budget.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
One of my clients does solar, and says they can get you a loan for the system at 2% interest, no early payoff restrictions or penalties, and you get a straight tax credit for 26% of it. AND you can get the loan for up to $130k, even if the solar system is only like $50k, get the tax credit for whole thing, and use the difference to help pay for your pool. And the .gov doesn’t know the difference. Let me know if you want me to connect you with them, I’ve been thinking about doing this for me, even have all the loan docs in my inbox...

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
When my wife was in escrow/title, she had lots of horror stories about sellers trying to sell homes with solar. Something to the tune of the seller has to pay off the solar "loan" or contract before selling and that wasn't something they were expecting. I could ask her more about the specifics if you want.
Our agent said that she tells buyers she won’t help them buy a house if it has solar and it’s not paid off. She would rather let them out of contract so they can get a new agent. Pretty wild.

Solar salespeople come to my door at least 3x a week. Want me to send one over? I tell them the sun isn’t real. 🤣🤣🤣

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Our agent said that she tells buyers she won’t help them buy a house if it has solar and it’s not paid off. She would rather let them out of contract so they can get a new agent. Pretty wild.

Solar salespeople come to my door at least 3x a week. Want me to send one over? I tell them the sun isn’t real. 🤣🤣🤣
I was getting so many solicitors I had to put up a sign. Solar salesman were consistently the most obnoxious and just wouldn't listen when I tried to politely tell them I wasn't interested.

Back to the original question... If I was even in the market I'd look really hard at a diy system. It seemed like half the price is labor to install it and the other half is the actual panels.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
I was getting so many solicitors I had to put up a sign. Solar salesman were consistently the most obnoxious and just wouldn't listen when I tried to politely tell them I wasn't interested.

Back to the original question... If I was even in the market I'd look really hard at a diy system. It seemed like half the price is labor to install it and the other half is the actual panels.
This. If I'd have to do it again I'd probably do it myself and then hire an electrician to button up the important parts.

Tonkaman

I too was looking at solar to offset future upgrades like hot tub, and electrical equipment in the shop. We sized our array to offset 100% of our current power needs knowing we will only be using more power in the future.

I got out solar system through one of those pesky solicitor/brokers. Ours was incentivized with updating the attic insulation to R40, redoing all weatherstripping on doors, re-caulking all windows, replacing every bulb in the house with LED, and giving us a rebate of the first 10 months worth of payments.

In the end of that company went out of business due to Covid. I got screwed out of the rebate but everything else got done.

The solar company that did the actual solar install and monitoring is Solcius. They were great to work with and I should have just used them directly.

Brad J

We got a 6.3 KW system with 20 - 315W LG panels installed In August 2018 right after we replaced our roof. We used https://www.intermtnwindandsolar.com/ that is up here in Davis County. It took a couple months for the permits to go through but it was painless for us. We were paying $90 on average a month before and went with a 100% offset. We have been paying around $10 a month for a couple years to Rocky Mountain Power till we switched from a Gas to Electric Dryer and got an Infrared Electric Fireplace in our Front Room in the fall. Our January Bill hit $136 but we had $30 bills before and after that month. We got a 1 year 0% that then transitioned into a 12 year 3% loan through them for $23,215. We spent $2,500 on doing the new roof ourselves and added that to the total so we got $7,650 Federal Tax credit and $1,600 State Tax credit. We used the next 2 tax refunds and put them towards the loan. We have paid $200 a month except the last 6 months I paid off the $11k that was left on it. I would recommend getting Solar Panels if you do not plan to move anytime soon. Intermountain Wind and Solar was great to work with and my only regrets are that I didn’t get batteries and do this sooner.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
From a value point, my only caution is that no matter what the salesman tell you, your home is not going to be worth any more after the panels than it is before.
Same with the pool, count on 10-20k in value increase, no matter what you pay to have it installed.

N-Smooth

We got a 6.3 KW system with 20 - 315W LG panels installed In August 2018 right after we replaced our roof. We used https://www.intermtnwindandsolar.com/ that is up here in Davis County. It took a couple months for the permits to go through but it was painless for us. We were paying $90 on average a month before and went with a 100% offset. We have been paying around $10 a month for a couple years to Rocky Mountain Power till we switched from a Gas to Electric Dryer and got an Infrared Electric Fireplace in our Front Room in the fall. Our January Bill hit $136 but we had $30 bills before and after that month. We got a 1 year 0% that then transitioned into a 12 year 3% loan through them for $23,215. We spent $2,500 on doing the new roof ourselves and added that to the total so we got $7,650 Federal Tax credit and $1,600 State Tax credit. We used the next 2 tax refunds and put them towards the loan. We have paid $200 a month except the last 6 months I paid off the $11k that was left on it. I would recommend getting Solar Panels if you do not plan to move anytime soon. Intermountain Wind and Solar was great to work with and my only regrets are that I didn’t get batteries and do this sooner.
So it cost you $23k and your bill was only $90/month beforehand? That’s going to take 21 years to have it “make sense”… no? I’m just tryin to understand.

Brad J

From a value point, my only caution is that no matter what the salesman tell you, your home is not going to be worth any more after the panels than it is before.
Same with the pool, count on 10-20k in value increase, no matter what you pay to have it installed.
I won't argue that point since that is your specialty. I know if we were ever to move and there were two identical homes at the same price but one with Solar then I would pick the one with Solar.

So it cost you $23k and your bill was only $90/month beforehand? That’s going to take 21 years to have it “make sense”… no? I’m just tryin to understand.
Our average when we moved in 21 years ago was $45/month. I know Utilities will continue to go up. Especially the way things are going right now.

Tonkaman

Don’t forget to factor in the $9k in tax rebates.

It is hard to quantify ROI right now, but if utility costs keep rising so will the price to install solar.

N-Smooth

Dang, it’s been a couple years since I looked into solar and I’m sad to say it still doesn’t make sense to me 🤣
I’m just thinking the same thing I’ve always thought- I have a hard time believing the systems last much longer than it takes for them to be net positive.

Last but not least if you really want to piss off my FIL who’s been roofing for 50 years, tell him you’re going to install solar. He’ll go on and on about how many roofs he’s seen messed up by solar installs.

comingdown

Dang, it’s been a couple years since I looked into solar and I’m sad to say it still doesn’t make sense to me 🤣
I’m just thinking the same thing I’ve always thought- I have a hard time believing the systems last much longer than it takes for them to be net positive.

Last but not least if you really want to piss off my FIL who’s been roofing for 50 years, tell him you’re going to install solar. He’ll go on and on about how many roofs he’s seen messed up by solar installs.
Well who doesn’t like pissing of their FIL?

comingdown

Your paying the money either way whether your paying Rocky Mountain power or a solar panel payment so the money is not really lost, and if you get more life out of the panels good deal, plus your avoiding future rate increases that are unpredictable.

N-Smooth

Your paying the money either way whether your paying Rocky Mountain power or a solar panel payment so the money is not really lost, and if you get more life out of the panels good deal, plus your avoiding future rate increases that are unpredictable.
If the rate increases were more significant than the money I could make by investing the $23k I’d agree with you but I can’t imagine that’s the case. I think my power bill was like $47 this month.

I’ve been waiting for some serious advances in the technology or some more significant tax savings but they haven’t come yet. Even a more affordable battery system would be a good start 🤷🏼‍♂️

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
If the rate increases were more significant than the money I could make by investing the $23k I’d agree with you but I can’t imagine that’s the case. I think my power bill was like $47 this month.

I’ve been waiting for some serious advances in the technology or some more significant tax savings but they haven’t come yet. Even a more affordable battery system would be a good start 🤷🏼‍♂️
I've personally seen the advances in insulation technology over the past 20 years and it definitely outperforms solar technology when it comes to your monthly power and gas bill.

I just don't see the benefit in solar panels on my house. I'd love to have more of it at my property, but I'd also gladly pay $23k to hook into the power grid at my property as well.