Trip Report Solo Metal Masher run in the Gladiator

ID Bronco

Greg, does filming make your trips more fun, or do they add a significant layer of stress or encumbrance on you? I am thinking of getting a drone and using it on adventures, but wonder if the added hassle and stress of filming will take away from the experience in the moment. I'm curious how it is with you.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Greg, does filming make your trips more fun, or do they add a significant layer of stress or encumbrance on you? I am thinking of getting a drone and using it on adventures, but wonder if the added hassle and stress of filming will take away from the experience in the moment. I'm curious how it is with you.

It can be stressful, definitely adds time to setup and film. This trip was taken almost solely for getting footage and I didn't mind taking the time, as I was on my own. At the overlook, the gimbal on the camera went haywire and I spent about 30 min trying to recalibrate it, powering it off and back on and at the end, I wasn't able to get any aerial footage at the cliff... that was super frustrating. I was excited about footage at the cliff... :(

Greg

Admin

To add to that, aerial filming is neat and it's fun to see the different perspective the drone provides, but to me there is an entire second part to creating something worth watching... and that's the editing.

Getting a finished product and learning how to keep people's attention isn't easy these days, I've been learning. I've taken hours of footage and cut it down to 5 min or less.

Hope that all helps!

ID Bronco

To add to that, aerial filming is neat and it's fun to see the different perspective the drone provides, but to me there is an entire second part to creating something worth watching... and that's the editing.

Getting a finished product and learning how to keep people's attention isn't easy these days, I've been learning. I've taken hours of footage and cut it down to 5 min of footage.

Hope that all helps!
This last part is the kicker for me. I took tons of go pro footage in Alaska and have not edited a second of it. I would rather go on another adventure than sit and edit. Obviously there is time at night and other times when an adventure isn't possible anyway and editing could occur. I guess that's my problem to resolve. Thanks for the info.

Greg

Admin
Love the shots of the goonie bird at the first! Very cool to have the drone following you.

While the Goonie Bird isn't officially part of the trail, I figured it was worth including and the footage in that canyon turned out amazing. Thanks Nic!