Spacecase's 90' Toyota Pickup

Current mods:

85' front end
TG High Steer with 6 shooter knuckles
G2 30 spline chromoly axles and birfields
95-04 Tacoma Brake upgrade w/IFS Hubs (FROR)
6 stud hub mod
High pinion w/ARB air locker
Trail Gear steering assist w/stock tapped box.
TG upper gusset
TG diff armor
Marlin knuckle gussets
5:29's

IFS width rear end
V6 3rd w/ARB air locker
Trail Gear disk brake conversion
Longfield axles
LSPV delete
5:29's

Other Drivetrain Mods
TG 4.7 t-case gears
TG twin stick setup
All-Pro T-case E-brake.

3" Downey exhaust system
TG stainless header

battery and intake swap

1" bore master cylinder

Wheels/Tires
35x12.50/r15 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss
Battleborn Gatekeeper Beadlocks

Suspension
63" Chevy's, 4 leaf with overload (rear) General Spring
3" lifted all pro springs with low profile hanger, removed 2 lower leafs (front)
Boomerang shackles 4-3/4” front / 6”rear
Bilstien 5100 series shocks

Body & Armor
custom tube rear bumper (Sexton Offroad)
TG rock sliders
TG tube doors
TG front bumper
Custom built roll cage

14" bobbed bed

Misc. Additions & Stuffs
PRP seats & 4point harnesses
Grant steering wheel
Smittybilt winch
CB Radio

current pic..
90017A14-629D-4D54-9BA2-CC8FC7F357FC.jpeg

Last edited:

ricsrx

Dang! I hate it when a good thought out plan doesn't come together,
How far are out are you for the SAS?
Are you doing the trail-gear kit or piecing it together?

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
i have the front axle that needs a full rebuild, thats all so far.

i'm gonna get some other things done with the rig then i'm buying the trailgear kit from lowrange.

i'm hoping to have the SAS done by next spring

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
i think i got the locker figured out, my boss suggested this and i think it will work awesome.

Step 1: remove welded carrier and verify bearings are in good working order.

Step 2: remove carrier from my current 3rd and swap ring gears.

Step 3: re-install welded carrier into current 3rd so that i now have a welded carrier with my original GOOD gears.

tomorrow i'm taking it to work to have my guys help me set the gear-lash and run a pattern on it, if all goes well i'll be installing my welded carrier tomorrow night.

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
very nice. i cant wait to get mine done.

got the welded carrier setup and installed. put er on the ground and she drives great!

its def weird having a welded dif, cant wait to take her out sat. :)

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
no updates, just trying to plan out my next mods.

i have a question for the toyota guys on the forum. does anyone know if it is possible to raise the t-case any further that the budbuilt x-member provides? looking for maximum belly clearance, the budbuilt says it has a built in drivetrain lift. just wondering if this is the best way to go, or if i could get it up any higher with a DIY mount and custom skid.

never been into one, so i'm unsure about floorpan clearance, etc.

any help would be appreciated. thanx

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
so.. not unless i wanna modify the holy living hell out of my rig. haha

awesome work steve! i'm not nearly that motivated, i was wanting to possibly gain an extra inch or 2 without modifying the floorpan.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

how close are you to hitting your tranny tunnel? Sometimes you can clock these and gain 1/2" -1".

I wouldn't be too worried though, with that short wheelbase you shouldn't turtle much.

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
Still running the stock x-member at the moment so im not sure how much clearance i would have with the budbuilt.

I'll have to look into the clocking. Anyone have clearance pics with an installed budbuilt?

Hey steve, did u need to raise your motor mounts or were u able to clock the drivetrain up that high with stock mounts?

sixstringsteve

Stock motor mounts (though it was a 1st gen). I'm not sure if the frame was different enough to matter with the motor mounts. Either way, you're not going to have to modify your motor mounts.

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
i dont want to have to modify the floor. i still plan to one day swap a v8 into this thing and change up the drivetrain.. several years down the road.

just looking for the best option for belly clearance with the current setup. i'm mostly asking because i was looking at this:
toyota_cross_member.jpg
if i'm not able to get the drivetrain up any higher, without modifying the floor, i'll stick with the budbuilt for simplicity.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

you're going to have to see how much room you have between your tcase and your tunnel. Stick your fingers up there and measure your clearance. If you have 2-3" of clearance, you can raise you t-case nearly that much. 2" of belly clearance is quite a bit.

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
im not scared, i just dont want to cut it open to make a temporary drivetrain fit. i will most likely hack it up when it gets its new drivetrain.

i've got long term plans to think about as well as short term for this thing.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
i've got long term plans to think about as well as short term for this thing.

I have paralyzed myself a couple times with not doing things I should have done or I wanted to do because of things I thought I was going to do down the road that I never got around to doing. I say hack it up and enjoy your truck. I'll help.

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
i think i misread the description for the budbuilt x-member on lowrange's website. i was under the impression they all came with a drivetrain lift built in. looked it up on budbuilts website, looks like they come at stock height but can be built with several levels of lift. lowrange doesn't have the option to select lift heights but copied the same description from budbuilts website.

coco, get your guys to update that page! :)

guess i'll crawl under there and check the clearance as she sits now.

you're going to have to see how much room you have between your tcase and your tunnel. Stick your fingers up there and measure your clearance. If you have 2-3" of clearance, you can raise you t-case nearly that much. 2" of belly clearance is quite a bit.

exactly, thats why i'm trying to squeeze it up every inch possible. steve, do u know about how much room i need to leave for the drivetrain to torque twist?