Spaggyroe's FJ80 Landcruiser build

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Been a while since I did any updates. I've been working on the cruiser regularly. One thing it needed was a front bumper.
I spoke with @I Lean, who was kind enough to plasma cut all of the same parts that he used for his front bumper build.

IMG_5176.jpg

My garage is a disaster lately... so please ignore that part. haha.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I've also been working on adapting the FJ80 automatic trans shifter to work with the GM 6L80 transmission.
It's been done before, and the common consensus seems to be that it's "a lot of trial and error".
I went a slightly different route and made everything I could adjustable, but the first thing to do is to convert the shifter from a passenger side mechanism to a drivers side.

The stock FJ80 shifter pivots on a rod, that then pushes a lever back and forth on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel. To get around this, I removed the shift rod, and used my presision milling machine (A.K.A.... a belt grinder) to extend the flats that were machined on the handle side of the shifter rod. This allowed me to put both the shifter handle, as well as the shifter lever, on the drivers side. I had to cut a corresponding slot in the bottom of the shifter mechanism and the floor of the landcruiser to allow the shifter lever to pass through.

Problem 1 solved.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Next up was to attach this to the transmission.
Not being big on the idea of doing a bunch of trial and error, cutting and welding, etc etc, I bought a Lokar ACA-1810 transmission shifter linkage.
It's overpriced, mediocre quality, and looks like this.
lok-aca-1810_wk_xl.jpg

It did however, give me a LOT of adjustability in regards to both the orientation (clocking) as well as the point at which the shifter rod attached. There's a mis-match between the throw of the landcruiser shifter arm and the GM factory shifter arm, and this allowed me to fine tune that mismatch.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I extended a turnbuckle dealio I found in my garage that had a RH and LH 5/16" heim.
Here's the magic formula that worked for me (a shifter rod that's about 16-3/8" center to center, and the transmission shifter arm adjusted to about 2.65" center to center).

IMG_5217.jpg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
bmup-jpg.899891

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Ughh. I've been terrible about taking pics. Here are some updates though. I've been spending time upgrading the fuel system. I pulled the fuel pump module out, added an aeromotive fuel pump, and started upsizing the fuel lines (the factory lines were pretty anemic).
IMG_5433.jpg

I added a bulkhead fitting and a 3/8" return line as well.

IMG_5430.jpg

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I removed the evap canister connection dealio, cut that up, welded a new piece of steel to it, and added another bulkhead fitting.

This will be used to fill the main tank from the aux tank I'm adding (thank you I Lean and your excellent Landcruiser de-evolution thread)

IMG_5475.jpg

Last edited:

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
out of sequence... but here's a pic of the top of the fuel pump module.
I added an AN banjo fitting using the factory landcruiser banjo bolt.
I did drill the banjo bolt to a larger internal size for more fuel flow, and clocked the AN fitting to be in line with the port. I'm sure this will give me all the fuel flow I need.

IMG_5431.jpg

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Adapting the landcruiser temperature sender was not straight forward.
I bought the large fitting from ICT billet. It has a 3/8" NPT thread in it.
I then drilled and tapped a 3/8" pipe plug to accept the landcruiser temp sender.
I could not find a pre-made adapter.
This threads into the side of the block on the drivers side, just above the oil filter area.

IMG_5446.jpg
IMG_5447.jpg

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I don't have any pics, but I installed an Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator and PTFE lined braided hose for fuel lines. Fragola hose and fittings. They're a total PITA to work with but I like the end product and not having to worry about ethanol fuels doing bad things to fuel hoses is a good thing I suppose.