Spaggyroe's FJ80 Landcruiser build

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I put 6.5" both front and rear doors on mine. IIRC they're a shallower-than-normal version? Pioneer TSG1645R. The fronts fit behind the stock grills, the rears did not.

In any case, assuming you're putting a new head unit in, get rid of (or at least bypass) the factory amp. And probably do something about the factory free-air subwoofer in back.

Edit: Again IIRC, 5 1/4" speakers will fit the rear doors if you don't want to surface-mount the aftermarket grills.

Last edited:

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I put 6.5" both front and rear doors on mine. IIRC they're a shallower-than-normal version? Pioneer TSG1645R. The fronts fit behind the stock grills, the rears did not.

In any case, assuming you're putting a new head unit in, get rid of (or at least bypass) the factory amp. And probably do something about the factory free-air subwoofer in back.

Edit: Again IIRC, 5 1/4" speakers will fit the rear doors if you don't want to surface-mount the aftermarket grills.

Yeah, there is something funky about the door speakers being shallower than most. I'll snag up some of the Pioneers you mentioned. Thanks for the P/N Carl! I am replacing the head unit with a double din touchscreen Sony. I need to investigate... I don't think I have a factory amp.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Yeah, there is something funky about the door speakers being shallower than most. I'll snag up some of the Pioneers you mentioned. Thanks for the P/N Carl! I am replacing the head unit with a double din touchscreen Sony. I need to investigate... I don't think I have a factory amp.
It's in the dash. Maybe behind the glove box? I used a Metra harness to plug into the factory plugs, which bypasses it.