Spotted

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I've been looking at them...

I’m pretty happy with mine (most of the time). It’s a thirsty girl while towing heavy or running hills at max speed. Reliable as a brick and willing to work though. It’s not quite a 7.3L powerstroke diesel but works just as hard but not as efficiently. When you factor in the Maint in the diesel, I come down to throwing a few $ at gas and letting that girl drink.

From what I’ve read, it’s wise to get the 3V engine from 2005+? I’ve had both and have put about 20k on the 2V and 20k on the 3V. I’d go the 3V but if I found the right 2V, I’d buy that (“right” meaning a clean rig, lower miles, and no obvious issues). The 5r110 is a pretty good auto from what’s out there on the interwebs. From my 20k of driving one, I have no reason to believe other than what I read. The 4r100 is “ok” but I’d be ready for a trans build. The V10 doesn’t push quite as hard on the trans (4R100) as a 7.3L so you may be ok with the V10/4r100. The 4r100 isn’t quite as fragile as the Dodge autos but not massively better.

I’ve always wanted to find a 3V, crew, longbed, manual trans in something other than red or old man gold and run that. I really don’t have much to complain about with the 5r110 other than wanting to shift the gears myself. (I’m still wanting to find a clean, low mile 7.3L, longbed manual as well but I think that ship has sailed for what I’m willing to pay AND I’m pretty happy with the 2010 I have. The shortbed sucks sometimes but mostly it’s tolerable. )

Why you snagging a truck?

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Great info @mbryson ! Thanks! I am going to sell my GX and get a truck mostly for towing duties. I am way to deep $$$ into my 80 that it has likely found a permanent home in my stable, but it won't tow (it barely gets out of its own way...). I don't need 2 SUV's.

I would like a 3/4 or 1 ton truck for pulling equipment. We are starting to do some land work at our cabin, and due to everyone refinancing and putting in yards (contractors won't even give me a quote right now), I will be redoing my backyard myself. And my 80 is a heavy pig. I want to be able to trailer it if the need ever arises.

I don't want the maintenance and expense of a diesel, so I am looking at gas. For the little it will get driven, I can put the money into buying what I sell, like job security... ;)

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Great info @mbryson ! Thanks! I am going to sell my GX and get a truck mostly for towing duties. I am way to deep $$$ into my 80 that it has likely found a permanent home in my stable, but it won't tow (it barely gets out of its own way...). I don't need 2 SUV's.

I would like a 3/4 or 1 ton truck for pulling equipment. We are starting to do some land work at our cabin, and due to everyone refinancing and putting in yards (contractors won't even give me a quote right now), I will be redoing my backyard myself. And my 80 is a heavy pig. I want to be able to trailer it if the need ever arises.

I don't want the maintenance and expense of a diesel, so I am looking at gas. For the little it will get driven, I can put the money into buying what I sell, like job security... ;)

Probably not the greatest place to continue this discussion but you're more than welcome to come take a geek/drive in my F350. My wife also has the EcoBoost in the Navigator and that's a pretty serious motor that might work for what you're looking for if you got the F150 heavy towing package?