Spray Paint

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
What does it take to keep the rust away....... :ugh: Man I clean the surface, primer it up, apply 2-3 coats of Rustolium and wamo.... 2 weeks latter there is surface rust....

What are you guys doing to keep it away?

tiny2085

HomeGrown
por-15, you can get it at almost any shop that sells paint, it's supposed to not chip or crack either. I have some, but haven't used it yet, i'm going to use it up front on my 60. :D

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
tiny2085 said:
por-15, you can get it at almost any shop that sells paint, it's supposed to not chip or crack either. I have some, but haven't used it yet, i'm going to use it up front on my 60. :D
ya,,, at $100.00 per gal.....

I don't think so...

tiny2085

HomeGrown
Shawn said:
ya,,, at $100.00 per gal.....

I don't think so...
33$ a quart, and my buddy just did his new cj7 tub and still has a little left over. http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=6

POR-15 application on non porous surfaces (most metals):
Approximate coverage:

Pint = 50 sq. ft.
Quart = 96 sq. ft.
Gallon = 350 sq. ft.
For porous surfaces like wood & concrete, coverage will be about 20% less.
When painting on metal surfaces, we recommend at least 20oz. of Metal Ready for every quart of paint or coating you use

Last edited:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I used the cheapest spray primer I could find, followed by a nice thick coat of Hammerite on my las rig. Worked great, didn't really rust at all the whole time I owned it. I may (or may not) do the same thing on the new rig.

ALF

SURE!?
tiny2085 said:
33$ a quart, and my buddy just did his new cj7 tub and still has a little left over. http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=6

POR-15 application on non porous surfaces (most metals):
Approximate coverage:

Pint = 50 sq. ft.
Quart = 96 sq. ft.
Gallon = 350 sq. ft.
When painting on metal surfaces, we recommend at least 20oz. of Metal Ready for every quart of paint or coating you use

Wow has it gone up since it first came out I paid $15 a quart about 8 years ago :ugh: damn I'm getting old.

Well worth the money but make sure you use the UV clearcoat if its gonna be exposed to sunlight or it will fade.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I've never had that problem with even the cheapest rattle can paint.... Keep in mind it's as thin (or thinner) as water. Your 3 coats may just be too light, quit bein so run paranoid, and lay the crap on! :rofl:
Once it's sealed, it can't rust.

Shawn said:
What does it take to keep the rust away....... :ugh: Man I clean the surface, primer it up, apply 2-3 coats of Rustolium and wamo.... 2 weeks latter there is surface rust....

What are you guys doing to keep it away?

troutbum

cubi-kill
tiny2085 said:
Stuff sucks, I did the whole tub and I top coated it, and yeah it won't rust while the POR 15 is on there but that is just because the stuff peels off too fast. And before I hear about prep, I stripped to bare metal and used metal ready