Springs

moabjeeper

Man Down!!!!
Alright heres the problem
I have some 35s in my garage right now and i want to put them on my cherokee right now. The problem is that with my 6 in lift right now my 33s rub when i flex a lot so i dont think my 35s will fit with 6 in lift. So i am thinking of buying some rubicon coil springs for the front. I want two more inches of lift. So they cost 149 bucks for any length. But the problem is that the biggest spring they have is 5.5 in. and they are for the TJ. the biggest for XJ is 4.5, which wont cut it. Can you use TJ front springs for the front of an XJ? If not where are some 6 in or 8 in springs? For the back right now i have 2 in blocks and 2 in shackles lift and the rest is from the leaf springs. I saw that rubicon had an add-a-leaf spring for 2.5 in lift. Could i put that in my leaf packs right now or should i go with totally new leaf springs and if so wheres the best place to get them? Or i could keep the same lift height and try triming the fenders out but i dont know if i could trim the back out enough. Tell me what you guys think i should do

Last edited:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
sell the cherokee and buy my explorer. you can fit 35's easy with the six inches of lift that are on it right now!!:D

seriously though, what do you need 35s for? are your 33s worn or something?? please explain the now!!

moabjeeper

Man Down!!!!
yeah my 33s are worn but i have wanted to go 35s forever!!!! I am starting to make big plans for the xj well not really big but a change. 33s have there limits and i have gone there. Bigger the better! Anyways what you think i should do? I am jeep for life and would never buy a explorer, sorry. Why not going bigger anyways? Going to upgrade the axles, gear ratio, lockers, brakes. the works!!!!

Last edited:

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Originally posted by moabjeeper
yeah my 33s are worn but i have wanted to go 35s forever!!!! I am starting to make big plans for the xj well not really big but a change. 33s have there limits and i have gone there. Bigger the better! Anyways what you think i should do? I am jeep for life and would never buy a explorer, sorry. Why not going bigger anyways? Going to upgrade the axles, gear ratio, lockers, brakes. the works!!!!

I agree that 33's have their limits, but so does the Cherokee. Don't get me wrong, I think the XJ is an excellent platform to build on. However, the "platform" (as you know) is based upon uni-body construction. If you were to flop or roll your "bigger and better" XJ, it quite possibly will be jacked beyond repair. You really should leave it as-is and have fun with it, or start looking for a YJ or TJ. If you want something similar to the XJ, an older Toyota 4runner is an excellent choice. Just my .02

Oh, Borton? You out there?

rustybronco

Flat Land Offroader
Just because you don't see larger spring advertised doesn't mean they don't exist. Call some companies and talk to a human being. Springs can be custom made. Ever thought about coil overs? You can get them in any length/ratio.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
MVC-013F.JPG

There's my cut cutie.....I'm moving to 35" MT/R's in the very near future....I'm about 5.5-6" or so. Mostly RE parts.

xjc

I give up :(
ok, here we go

I am by no means an expert but here is my response to the question

Front
Longer coils can be found at rustys on the net as was mentioned before, 6.5 inches is probably right.

Rear
add a leafs won't work the same on lift springs. They either won't make any difference or give you less lift than advertised. They could still work for you but it would depend on the arch of your current springs. Rustys has some huge lift springs for the back if you want to go that way. Rustys quality is definately not the greatest but the price is usualy very good.

Fender trimming
Listen to the other guys, its always the best way to go if you can deal with the surgery

For the money, I would skip the springs and buy a sawzall ;) :D

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Originally posted by mbryson
MVC-013F.JPG

There's my cut cutie.....I'm moving to 35" MT/R's in the very near future....I'm about 5.5-6" or so. Mostly RE parts.

Oh,,, and I'm running 33" Swamps. 35" MT/R's are only about 1/2-3/4" taller so I'll probably be in pretty good shape other than I'm still running 4.11 gears.

XJcrazed

You can get 6" or 8" lift springs from SkyJacker, Tera (coils), or BigOffroad (leafs). You can also get springs custom made to your specifications from National or Alcan. They're not going to be cheap though.

You could also use springs made for other vehicles. But it will give you a different amount of lift than that rated for the vehicle the springs were made for. It's common to lift an XJ using ZJ lift springs. Since ZJ's are quite a bit heavier than XJ's you get much more than the advertised amount of lift. Specifically, I know several people running RE's ZJ 4.5" lift springs and it nets about 5.5" of lift on an XJ. This is because those springs are built for a heavier rig and therefore have a higher spring rate. This will also net a stiffer ride on the road, and less flex on the trail. And it's one of the reasons why add-a-leafs are not the most desireable way to lift a vehicle.

What are your drivetrain upgrade plans in order to run the 35's? What about suspension modifications? How do you plan on using this vehicle? (daily driver, hardcore trails, UROC?) It's definitely not impossible to run 35's on an XJ, but it is difficult. There are a lot of things that come into play that you may not be anticipating. Personally I've decided that my XJ is nearing its end as far as building it. I've got ~6" of lift and 33's. But, it's still a daily driver, and has very little body damage. I've decided that if I want to do anything that's harder than Pritchett, it's going to be with a different vehicle.

If you're sure that this is what you really want to do than there are ways to do it. But, don't expect it to be easy, cheap, or without disadvantages. I'd recommend you look at SkyJacker's RockReady 8" kit. It's the most complete of any I know at addressing most issues.

Rob

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
After deciding to go with 36" TSLs and a little bit heavier drivetrain on my XJ last year, I haven't relied on manufacturers or kits as much as I used to. Basically the only thing left on my vehicle from a suspension manufacturer is my coils (4.5 + 2" spacer from RE) and my leafs from RE. Everything else I've taken into my own hands and have had quite a learning experience from it. From making my own suspension links to shortening my own axle housings. When I first got started on it, I didn't expect much to be done, but was I wrong. Atleast I had access to all the right tools and equiptment. And I believe I have save a large amount of cash, but in the same, I spent that much more time in the garage.

:)

I to am considering going up another 1.5" on my XJ. Mostly just for a fresh set of springs front and rear. :cool:

moabjeeper

Man Down!!!!
Alright i decided that im just going to cut out the flares. What your guys opition on TJ flares on a cherokee? Does it give you a lot more space or should i go with the Bushwackers? Some guy might get me a good deal on some so thats what i might do. What you guys think?