South-East Utah St George / Sand Hollow before Christmas?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
We were going to head to Death Valley around Christmas, but the great state of California has shut everything down due to Corona... including camping.... outdoors. :rolleyes:

So we're trying to come up with a different plan, thinking about bringing the Gladiator down to St George for a few days. I have ridden motorcycles around Sand Hollow, but it's been years since I ran any 4x4 trails. I don't want to beat up the Gladiator, it's pretty long and low... any mild trails that I should look into? We may spend a day and run the Barracks Trail too.

Anyone else going to be in the area?

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
🙋‍♂️ We’ll be around

Hate to admit it, but we really haven’t had our mall crawler out much except the basic Milts Mile, West Rim and John’s trail. I know a lot more trails have been developed in the last 10 years, but I’m not the guy that knows them.

Greg

Admin
🙋‍♂️ We’ll be around

Hate to admit it, but we really haven’t had our mall crawler out much except the basic Milts Mile, West Rim and John’s trail. I know a lot more trails have been developed in the last 10 years, but I’m not the guy that knows them.

I'd be fine with the basics, I know there is some pretty challenging trails down there... but that's not really what I'm after. Just some fun sight seeing. Want to get the mall crawler out? :D

Greg

Admin
We're headed to Death valley for new years but staying in Beatty, NV.

I really wanted to camp in Death Valley proper, was looking forward to setting up base camp in Alabama Hills and exploring on daytrips from there.

As it is, I'll wait until its open again for camping in the park.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
We were going to head to Death Valley around Christmas, but the great state of California has shut everything down due to Corona... including camping.... outdoors. :rolleyes:

So we're trying to come up with a different plan, thinking about bringing the Gladiator down to St George for a few days. I have ridden motorcycles around Sand Hollow, but it's been years since I ran any 4x4 trails. I don't want to beat up the Gladiator, it's pretty long and low... any mild trails that I should look into? We may spend a day and run the Barracks Trail too.

Anyone else going to be in the area?
I would be up for making a run down and running some trails. I have to go to Moab on the 28th to do a tire test/review for Kenda. Other than that I could ditch work and head down

Greg

Admin
I would be up for making a run down and running some trails. I have to go to Moab on the 28th to do a tire test/review for Kenda. Other than that I could ditch work and head down

Sounds fun, Paul! Do you know the trails well enough to get around? I'm in the dark with where they are.

RockChucker

the free pdf map you can download for the avenza app on your phone is pretty good. the free pdf can be had from dixie 4wd website. doesn't have everything, but has plenty to keep you busy for several days

Greg

Admin
the free pdf map you can download for the avenza app on your phone is pretty good. the free pdf can be had from dixie 4wd website. doesn't have everything, but has plenty to keep you busy for several days

I forgot about that, just downloaded the map and added the app! Looks like it has mostly the harder trails. :grimacing:

Vonski

nothing to see here...
So, what is the range of dates people are thinking? It sounds like folks may be down there from the 25th-28th. 🤷‍♂️ I’m simply looking for seat time, not real concerned about difficulty.