Stag’s competition XJ

STAG

Offroad and Industrial Design
Supporting Member
I also had to order a new carrier, cuz this is what I found when I opened up the axle I had on hand. (This is my D44, not the Hummer H3 axle.) Broken teeth on gears, welded side gears and a cracked/welded carrier. I have had this axle sitting on the side of my house for about 6-7 years but I’ve never opened it up. It did clean up pretty well, and there’s no rust where the bearing races sitD2666006-C06E-4280-B87A-57E6936B7F3D.jpeg
4292D63C-D375-46B9-BCDF-A35ED042C390.jpeg
Yes, likely most of you will say this axle is not worth putting money into. But it’s essentially a “free” axle to start with. And I’m stubborn. And not always known for wise decisions. But I’m doing it. Maybe I’ll run it short term and upgrade later, but this is just the path I’m on.

C67E6D29-0E45-41B3-BF85-83755F44984C.jpeg

Turning a pass-drop 44 into drivers drop.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I also had to order a new carrier, cuz this is what I found when I opened up the axle I had on hand. (This is my D44, not the Hummer H3 axle.) Broken teeth on gears, welded side gears and a cracked/welded carrier. I have had this axle sitting on the side of my house for about 6-7 years but I’ve never opened it up. It did clean up pretty well, and there’s no rust where the bearing races sitView attachment 135926
View attachment 135925
Yes, likely most of you will say this axle is not worth putting money into. But it’s essentially a “free” axle to start with. And I’m stubborn. And not always known for wise decisions. But I’m doing it. Maybe I’ll run it short term and upgrade later, but this is just the path I’m on.

View attachment 135927

Turning a pass-drop 44 into drivers drop.

I have a lonely 3.73 and up D44 carrier (almost brand new last I looked at it) that could be available as early as this evening if you're wanting something fast

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
D44 carrier break is 3.73-, 3.92+

I tried to install Rubicon D44 gears on it for the MJ I had. I needed the other carrier (3.73 and down, I guess?). This would be the 3.92+ carrier. Carrier has had bearings and gears installed on it then was removed for a 3.72 and down carrier.

STAG

Supporting Member
I have a lonely 3.73 and up D44 carrier (almost brand new last I looked at it) that could be available as early as this evening if you're wanting something fast
I already have the carrier. I ordered a new Yukon one off Amazon for like $75. I scoured KSL D44 stuff for a few weeks and never saw what I was after so ended up going the Amazon route.

STAG

Supporting Member
This is a Frankenstein axle no doubt. I’m running JK unit bearings and knuckles with JL brakes. The JL brakes are a 13” rotor and dual-piston calipers which is a lot bigger than the JK stuff I believe. I think a JK rotor is 10.8”? Or at least the XJ stuff is.

So those DirtyLife wheels are JK 5x5” bolt pattern, and the RCV shafts are JKRubicon “off-the-shelf” shafts.

I have redrilled the rear H3 axle to the 5x5” bolt pattern and used JK wheel studs so the thread and bolt pattern are the same on all 4 corners now.