Stag’s street/trail XJ

STAG

Beach bummin
Is this normal for a Detroit locker??

At first I noticed a huge thunk when shifting back and forth between reverse and drive. I thought it was excessive pinion/ring gear play so I stopped driving it immediately and I pulled the cover and it looks like the play isn’t between the ring/pinion, so then I thought between the locker and the axle shafts, but figured there was no way. Upon further inspection in the axle, it looks like the play is in the locker itself. This is my first Detroit but after a quick Google search it looks like many people quote about “1/4 of a driveshaft of rotation of play”.

Seems so wrong to me and the thunk between R & D is enough to make me want to get rid of the Detroit if that’s what it does.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Is this normal for a Detroit locker??

At first I noticed a huge thunk when shifting back and forth between reverse and drive. I thought it was excessive pinion/ring gear play so I stopped driving it immediately and I pulled the cover and it looks like the play isn’t between the ring/pinion, so then I thought between the locker and the axle shafts, but figured there was no way. Upon further inspection in the axle, it looks like the play is in the locker itself. This is my first Detroit but after a quick Google search it looks like many people quote about “1/4 of a driveshaft of rotation of play”.

Seems so wrong to me and the thunk between R & D is enough to make me want to get rid of the Detroit if that’s what it does.
I had a lockrite way back in the day that acted like that. I don't think the locker in my buggy has near that amount of play... Is the pinion nut loose? Doesn't look like it is from the video but always good to check. That would cause a walk and extra slop.

STAG

Beach bummin
I had a lockrite way back in the day that acted like that. I don't think the locker in my buggy has near that amount of play... Is the pinion nut loose? Doesn't look like it is from the video but always good to check. That would cause a walk and extra slop.
Pinion nut not loose. I pulled the cover and the play is definitely somewhere between the carrier and the shafts. I don’t think that amount of play could be in the splines, but I can’t rotate the pinion myself and look at the ends of the axle shafts at the same time while laying on my back ha.

I put the cover back on for now and will refill it with oil.

RockChucker

I had a Detroit in the 8.8 I used to have. It was about that much play. I got used to it and could shift it nice and smooth (manual trans) but if I let someone else drive they thought something was seriously wrong with my Jeep ha

STAG

Beach bummin
They honored my Utah registration timeframe, so because I registered my Jeep in Utah in October, my Jeep is registered in Hawaii at no cost, until October this year. I just had to pay $30 for the non-rainbow plate ($25 of which is a recurring annual contribution to that Haleakala National Park) and about $20 in State title and other application fees. So only cost me $50 to get Hawaii registration this time. This fall will be the full registration cost though. No problem.

A few notes since I’ve been driving the XJ more;

The hood vents I put on this is probably one of the best mods I think I’ve done to this XJ. My temperatures stay right where they are meant to be. (Been mid 80’s for ambient highs lately, we’ll see how it goes when temps get into the 90’s. Apparently Maui doesn’t really get the 100° days like Utah). I’m sure part of that cooling efficiency does come from the new updated radiator as well. But feels like the hood vents play a large portion.

I’m still waiting to get into my shop to finish out some of the mods that I didn’t get finished in Utah. I’ll likely just end up finishing the painting/bodywork job myself. I don’t know if I’ll still do the vinyl wrap like I had planned, probably not. Maybe later down the road.

I have still been battling some minor oil pan drips. Nothing bad, just annoying. This has stemmed from two reasons; 1, I forgot to do a final torque on the oil pan bolts before adding oil and starting the engine. This caused oil to diminish the seal that I had with the gasketmaker silicone. I torqued the bolts, but it was too late. To fix the minor leaking I believe I will have to drop the pan again and redo the seal process. Not a big deal, I’ll just do it when the next oil change is due.

The 2nd reason I believe I’ve had issues, is I thought it would be a good idea to use those “rubber bonded sealing washers” on each of the pan bolts. Turns out the rubber they use on those washers is too soft, especially with the heat of the engine, and the pan bolts became loose again. Like, fingertight loose. Lesson learned, I will not use those washers again when I redo the pan seal.

I still have some annoying suspension clunks when going over speed bumps. I’m not 100% sure where it’s coming from, but I’ll address it when I redo the trac-bar to eliminate the bump steer issue I’ve got since going high-steer on the drag link.

I think when it’s time for new tires I may go with 33’s. The 4.88’s feel just right for 35’s and Maui (if I was in Utah and actually hitting the freeway I would probably prefer 4.56’s) but I think I’ll get a few mpg’s back with 33’s. If/when I come back to mainland and more difficult wheeling I can go back to 35’s. I’ve still yet to really make it out to adventure the local trails though, so we’ll see.

STAG

Beach bummin
Cheapo Amazon license plate spare tire bracket, but wouldn’t fit through the center bore on the stock JK wheel, so ended up moving it up on the tire carrier and going through the hole between spokes.

Also got the Ram 5500 Horn wired in last night finally.

Can’t wait to get it painted all the same color.
7DD461B2-083D-468D-845C-EB8AB5ED0FF0.jpeg

STAG

Beach bummin
9C297515-157E-4C31-8500-3FC4BC35677A.jpegA2E60B0B-C7CF-4055-9645-D1C4564E6AC6.jpeg

So I noticed I’ve been getting really bad mpg lately, and I noticed a little bit (like very small) squish in the sidewall of my tires. Figured I was probably around 20psi or so and figured that attributed to some sluggishness and bad mpg. Well today I fired up the air compressor and busted out a tire gauge… all tires were under 10psi 😂 I don’t know how far under, the gauge I had started at 10 and it wasn’t enough to register on the gauge lol.

But I added air and immediately noticed a little more peppiness. It does ride a little rougher, but I’m surprised how stiff these sidewalls are at that low of psi. I really never would have guessed they were in single digits.