stainless steel brake hoses

tuck

spud crawler
what's the lowdown on these things?
I need to get hoses for my new axles, GM 3/4 ton junk with discs all around. I found stainless steel hoses at www.paragonperformance.com for about the same price as rubber hoses at Napa.

are stainless hoses better or worse? anyone have any experience with them? I've heard they can help to make the pedal firmer which may be good.

I've also heard that the teflon tubes inside the stainless steel is pretty sensitive to movement and friction and can be easily damaged with contact. I have also heard that some hoses aren't as well constructed as others, and are inherently more dangerous.

I have heard good things about Earl's and Aeroquip, but nothing about this Paragon company. Anyone have any insight? Thanks.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I would go with the build your own stuff from Earls but make sure you follow the assembly instructions. I would also use shrink rap or even a rubber hose to protect the line for the entire lenth. The braided lines I have seen fail were rubbing on things.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
If you can find rubber lines in the length you need and with the right fittings I would go with the rubber.

Caleb

rubber will sometimes expand under hard braking and will give you a soft pedal feel...but like bobdog said if you can find the right stuff I would prolly go rubber...you can also get custom made ones at Evco...they also sell the Earls stuff(isn;t Earls just another company off Holey or Edelbrock???)

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
When I asked Evco about custom brake lines they said they would sell Earls parts and give instuctions but they would not assemble them. Maybe if you said you were going to use them for something else.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Most brake company's won't sell SS lines unless they are being used for race purpose. SS is DOT approved.

McNees Interprise sell them in many different lenth's.

Caleb

they have made custom ones for me before but they told me the sme thing(as they were making mine:p)...but my company also spend thousands of dollars with them and so they know who I am when I walk through the door...they are always kissing our butts, like bringing us dougnuts about once a month:D:D:D