Staying in a camper/trailer for a week+ at a time.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So with another work change, I'm back to traveling. I'll be away from home for 8 days at a time, sometimes working in remote places. I do get a decent bit of per diem ($120/day) for traveling expenses (hotels, meals, etc) but it's up to me to choose how I spend it and what doesn't get spent on expenses, I keep.

I've been thinking that instead of wasting money on hotels (which can range from $40-100/night) I'll get a mid-sized bumper pull camper and stay in it. If possible, I'll leave it at the job site when I can, so I'm not hauling it every week.

My concerns are staying in the camper for days on end and could use some input. Obviously things like electrical power, propane capacity, water supply, grey and black water tank capacity & preventing water from freezing are things to be concerned about.

I'm thinking that with 2 larger propane tanks, I'll have enough fuel for heat, hot water & a bit of cooking. I'll probably have 2 good sized batteries and add a portable solar panel & controller to keep the batteries topped off. Have a generator for backup electricity and additional power when it gets warmer and I need to run the A/C. What else do I need to consider?

Depending on tank size, I may be dumping the tanks mid-week at some point and hauling in fresh water. Might grab a spare propane tank for backup, too?

Kind of related, but my 3/4 ton GMC has a LOT of miles on it and I'm a bit worried about taxing it pulling a camper. It will probably be fine, but it's approaching 300k miles and you can tell the engine is getting tired.

xjtony

I'll get you the part numbers for my solar charger and panel if you want. I think I have $120 into the solar system. I have several buddies that run the same, and with a 100 amp hour battery, you can run everything other than the microwave and AC for the night with no issues.

Greg

Admin
I love the idea, I have no real expertise to share but using the per diem to buy something that has resale value instead of dumping it on a hotel room every night seems like a win win situation.

Totally agree, the hotel room is just wasted money. At 16 nights per month and say an average of $60/night, that's just over $2k a month down the drain! I'm looking at used campers in the $5-8k range.... but might spend a little more? Something newer would be nice and we can use it for traveling later on.

Greg

Admin
I'll get you the part numbers for my solar charger and panel if you want. I think I have $120 into the solar system. I have several buddies that run the same, and with a 100 amp hour battery, you can run everything other than the microwave and AC for the night with no issues.

Sure, share away! I've been looking at Renogy, I have one of their panels and a controller that I was going to add to my adventure trailer. It seems like quality stuff.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
When we go to the lake, Flaming Gorge, we are they for 10 days. There are 5 of us and some times more. Staying in a trailer is great and it is as good as you make it. We invested in a solar panel a few years a go to keep the batteries topped off and love it.

I say do it!

Greg

Admin
When we go to the lake, Flaming Gorge, we are they for 10 days. There are 5 of us and some times more. Staying in a trailer is great and it is as good as you make it. We invested in a solar panel a few years a go to keep the batteries topped off and love it.

I say do it!

Thanks for the input Shawn!

rholbrook

I have a buddy that lived in a trailer for almost a year on a job site. His per diem paid for his trailer and he didn't mind it at all. He said he would do it again in a heartbeat. He did say that on occasions he would use public facilities to save on his dumping or should I say he dumped in public poopers as often as he could to save on his trailer dumping.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Sounds like you are working the same schedule as a friend of mine. What you are thinking will be good for the late spring, summer and early fall, but I think you will hate it in the winter. You will definitely have freezing problems unless you were to close off the bottom between trailer and ground. Plus, the heater will be running 24x7. Most smaller trailers will have less than 100 gallons of fresh water storage, so you may be able to make it a week if you are conservative with it, and the black and grey tanks will probably be only about 40 gallons at most. You will have to dump it every week.

Greg

Admin
I have a buddy that lived in a trailer for almost a year on a job site. His per diem paid for his trailer and he didn't mind it at all. He said he would do it again in a heartbeat. He did say that on occasions he would use public facilities to save on his dumping or should I say he dumped in public poopers as often as he could to save on his trailer dumping.

Good to know, glad others have done something similar.

I totally agree with making an effort to not fill the tanks if possible. I'm not sure how things will work out with where I can park this thing, but if I can stay at the job site, there may be porta-potties there.

Greg

Admin
Sounds like you are working the same schedule as a friend of mine. What you are thinking will be good for the late spring, summer and early fall, but I think you will hate it in the winter. You will definitely have freezing problems unless you were to close off the bottom between trailer and ground. Plus, the heater will be running 24x7. Most smaller trailers will have less than 100 gallons of fresh water storage, so you may be able to make it a week if you are conservative with it, and the black and grey tanks will probably be only about 40 gallons at most. You will have to dump it every week.

That's what I was wondering, Winters might be the time where the trailer gets winterized and parked at home and I bite the bullet for a hotel room. :(

Greg

Admin
So looking at campers that are built for cold weather, I ran across the brand Outdoors RV. They're built with cold weather in mind and don't seem as cheap as other brands. I found a used one, it's newer and WAY more money than I had in mind, but it sure looks nice.

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
So looking at campers that are built for cold weather, I ran across the brand Outdoors RV. They're built with cold weather in mind and don't seem as cheap as other brands. I found a used one, it's newer and WAY more money than I had in mind, but it sure looks nice.

Can't go wrong with Outdoors RV...those things are legit 4 seasons trailers.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I'm sure sixstringsteve can offer some advice as he lived in his for a few years and seemed to have it down pretty well. May want to shoot him a message, or check out his videos on YouTube.

J-mobzz

I’ve been doing kinda the same thing out of my van when possible. Unfortunately most of my travel requires flights. But I have done a handful of week long trips without any regrets. I don’t have a shower but I just shower at planet fitness in the mornings. One thing you may want to look at is your heating options. I installed the heater linked below in my van. They are huge in the van life community and RV’s. They work very very well and are very efficient to run compared to propane.

5KW 12V Diesel Air Heater 10L Tank LCD Thermostat Monitor + Remote Control + Silencer for Bus Van Boat Trucks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JB7QZWZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GcawEbNNCP2Y5

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Yeah, working on a steel/welding gang changing out rail. This job will be traveling, but it's a local (division) work group so I'll be staying in CO/WY/UT and not traveling the UP system.
That is the type of gang my buddy is on. I think right now he is working out in Caliente Nevada

Greg

Admin
I’ve been doing kinda the same thing out of my van when possible. Unfortunately most of my travel requires flights. But I have done a handful of week long trips without any regrets. I don’t have a shower but I just shower at planet fitness in the mornings. One thing you may want to look at is your heating options. I installed the heater linked below in my van. They are huge in the van life community and RV’s. They work very very well and are very efficient to run compared to propane.

5KW 12V Diesel Air Heater 10L Tank LCD Thermostat Monitor + Remote Control + Silencer for Bus Van Boat Trucks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JB7QZWZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GcawEbNNCP2Y5

A lot of other guys working in my situation use gyms for showers as well. I have considered the same, but we work in pretty remote places at times.

Interesting... so the diesel tank sits inside the van or do you mount the tank outside? No funky smells or fumes?

Also for me I get paid mileage. My van gets 17mpg and I get 150night hotel allowance. So like a trip to Boise for 4 nights can net me close to $800 after fuel costs.

I get mileage as well, but not at the standard rate... we get $25 per 100 miles. Since I won't be more than a handful of hours from home, my mileage pay won't be too high.

I used to do this same thing many years ago, at one point I was traveling out to Chicago and back once a week. I had my TDI Jetta and my mileage would almost pay for the hotel room itself! Not to mention saving fuel costs with a car that got 50 miles per gallon.