Staying in a camper/trailer for a week+ at a time.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The F-150 will tow a 20’ trailer with ease. I would do an equalizer hitch but I personally wouldn’t bother with spring helpers. I bought some cheap tow mirror extensions for my 1500 on Amazon and rarely even used them. Some people won’t leave home without them but I never felt they were super necessary.

Yeah, the trailer I'm looking at is just over 4k#'s loaded up and the F150 is rated to tow almost 11k. I'm not worried about the weight.

I'm sold on an equalizer hitch, I hate trailer sway.

My logic for the Timbrens is because the truck is leveled with Falcon shocks... I don't want it doing the Carolina Squat while towing. 🙄

The stock mirrors look small for pulling a 8' wide trailer, but I haven't tried it yet obviously. Guess that can be a 'wait and see' item... I just hate seeing people towing that can't see what's behind them because the mirrors aren't wide enough to see around their trailer.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Yes, stock mirrors are too small, you should be able to see the entirety of each side when straight, and yes you want an equalizing hitch, I had the Equal-I-zer brand and really liked it. I tried add-ons but they shook too much. I finally bought a pair of non-ford branded OEM trailer mirrors that were great. Looked like identical build fit and finish to my stock ones. Oh, and the integrated Ford brake controller is awesome.
My trailer and crap weighed in at around 8200#. My only complaint was that on the downhill twisty roads in the mountains the trailer tended to push the ass end of the truck around. Fully planned to add a Helwig rear sway bar but sold the trailer before I got around to it.

Greg

Admin
Yes, stock mirrors are too small, you should be able to see the entirety of each side when straight, and yes you want an equalizing hitch, I had the Equal-I-zer brand and really liked it. I tried add-ons but they shook too much. I finally bought a pair of non-ford branded OEM trailer mirrors that were great. Looked like identical build fit and finish to my stock ones. Oh, and the integrated Ford brake controller is awesome.
My trailer and crap weighed in at around 8200#. My only complaint was that on the downhill twisty roads in the mountains the trailer tended to push the ass end of the truck around. Fully planned to add a Helwig rear sway bar but sold the trailer before I got around to it.

Good feedback Eric!

I was looking at Chinese made F150 Tow Mirrors on Amazon, decent price, livable quality based on reviews.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Good feedback Eric!

I was looking at Chinese made F150 Tow Mirrors on Amazon, decent price, livable quality based on reviews.
Had the Ford “towing” mirrors on my first f150. If you’re towing a lot they are totally worth it. Little bigger little more noise generated but much better vis than the little mirrors.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I agree with the equalizer hitch... as you can see from my pictures it helped allot with my jeeps! My trailer weighed in around 3500lb with a full tank of water (36gal) that was right up front of the trailer. I found that I would have to drain the tanks (gray mostly) about every 3-4 days seeing they were only 22gal. The little totter that Gravy talkes about is a great way to not have to hook up and drag the trailer just to empty tanks.

The small 5lb propane tank would last me almost all summer (just fridge and water heater use) but as you turn that heater on it will run away in little time. I had dual batteries and never had any problems losing power for a week or so, but a solar panel would be a great addition.

Forest river makes a great trailer and if you only want one bed stay away from the BH series (bunk house) which takes up space to provide you with two bunk beds.

Attachments

• 20170407_104020.jpg
    20170407_104020.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20190412_134614.jpg
    20190412_134614.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200907_075537 (1).jpg
    20200907_075537 (1).jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 18
If you are going to leave it parked in one place for a while, a handful of those manual stabilizer jacks are better than the ones that come on the trailer to make it fell less like you are rocking and rolling every time you take a step.

Greg

Admin
From what I'm reading (and have seen in person) the brands from Forest River, Coleman and Jayco are low quality from the factory and questionable over long term use.

I read a couple reviews where people had brand new Forest River trailers (like the one I was interested in) that leaked water and completely damaged them due to poor manufacturing quality.

I'm currently looking at Winnebago brand trailers and it seems like they are pretty well built and thought out. I definitely don't want a expensive project, money pit or something that is frustrating to use over time, because of low quality control from the manufacturer.

Currently a 2018 Winnebago Micro Mini 1808FSB has captured my attention.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Not sure the current specs on the mini Winnie but when I looked at them the inside ceiling height wasn’t very high. I think you’re an inch taller than me and I couldn’t stand up all the way in them.

Greg

Admin
Not sure the current specs on the mini Winnie but when I looked at them the inside ceiling height wasn’t very high. I think you’re an inch taller than me and I couldn’t stand up all the way in them.

You're right... 6' 4" interior height. I'm 6' 4"... 🙃

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
@sixstringsteve has made some good videos about trailer quality.

My personal experience is that they are all pretty much the same, and pretty low quality. I am often astounded at how cheaply some are made, and that people pay for them. The early 90's is when I think things were still made good.. mid 90's they started going down hill. Our current trailer is a mid 2000's, and I think I could twist the frame by hand if I wanted to.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Tires for sure, possibly wheels.

My first RV trailer was a 19' tandem axle. Weighed about 4,800 lbs and wagged like a dog's tail even with the equalizer hitch. I had a 2009 Ram Cummins 2500 to pull it and it would drag that truck all over the road if there was any wind.

I moved all of our gear to the front of the trailer and stopped filling the water tank to increase tongue weight. It didn't really change. We decided it was probably the cheap tires on the trailer causing the sway. They were 14" wheels and the sidewalls started cracking badly after 18 months.

Also, your Edgstar is a far better fridge than what comes in any RV. The fridge units they use are not very efficient and take forever to cool down after defrosting. Consider that if you have a fridge problem.

You are going to need a generator for the AC when temps are high. I would look at an inverter with more than 3,500 watts continuous output. Mine has only 3,200 watts and it will BARELY run the AC, and I can't run anything else at the same time. A phone charger will trip the overload if the AC is running.

Two Renogy solar panels are mandatory in my opinion. They make it possible for me to leave my fridge running for a month at a time on propane. The cooling fan in the fridge will draw down two 12 volt batteries in a couple days.

Shades. RV awnings suck, are expensive to replace, and they can rip off the trailer if they are deployed in the wind. Cory had his rip off three times now. He has stopped using them entirely. We've had great luck with shades like these. I left a 16'x20' up all summer last year and never had a problem with the wind.

KMM Sun Shade Sails Rectangle 10’x 13’ UV Block Canopy 185GSM HDPE Awning for Lawn Patio Backyard Carport Garden Outdoor Activities, Sand Beige https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08ZYM9LZ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_64PVP358NVC1921350YC

Greg

Admin
So we made an offer and have the ball rolling on the trailer pictured above.... it's a 2021 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104S. It's a 22' trailer with a GVW of just over 6K #'s fully loaded. It was custom ordered for another buyer, but his financial situation changed after it arrived and he wasn't able to purchase it. He added some options, which is nice. The price was WAY more than I was planning to spend, but it's nice and new. It should work out quite well for our needs. It has a Queen size Murphy Bed, which frees up floor space when the bed is put away, a pretty large slide, big heated tanks and 190W solar already installed. It seems to be a very well setup trailer. We have an appt to pick it up on Tuesday morning and I'll be hauling it to work on the same day!

We have been casually looking for the last 18 months, but due to moving work locations and expensive, sketchy hotels, I decided to get more serious about buying a trailer. We looked at used ones and just weren't happy with the condition & prices. Looked at all kinds of different sizes and types, but half the time I got interested in a new listing, it would sell 24 hrs later. That probably happened 7-8 different times. RV's are moving fast these days! :eek:

Some pics.... it's dirty, they're giving it a full detail now. -

i-WcGkBZB-X2.jpg

i-6knSSGc-X2.jpg

i-Gfs7vS7-X2.jpg

i-r6vNPcZ-X2.jpg

i-wh8wKF9-X2.jpg