Steel prices

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Seems as though most steel has dropped in price a fair bit. I've done a couple of projects over the past few weeks and was surprised at how low the materials came in, My neighbor and son both work in the steel enterprise and told me that what I thought is true. So, even though I do not (yet) own a tubing bender, I did a price check on some DOM. It might be a good time to buy what I think I'll need to build a cage or two.

Anyone else seeing better steel prices?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Seems as though most steel has dropped in price a fair bit. I've done a couple of projects over the past few weeks and was surprised at how low the materials came in, My neighbor and son both work in the steel enterprise and told me that what I thought is true. So, even though I do not (yet) own a tubing bender, I did a price check on some DOM. It might be a good time to buy what I think I'll need to build a cage or two.

Anyone else seeing better steel prices?
The last few times I've bought either tube or plate, the prices have been pretty consistent. 🤷

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
It has to be going down. The amount of steel my company scraps each year can be the difference between a red or black year for us. Right now we are trying to store as much of our scrap as we can and wait for prices to come back up before selling it.

joez

I did a recycle run over the weekend, expecting around $15 to $20. I about fell over when they gave me $3.60.

And thats why as painful as it is, i have just been throwing steel and aluminum away. Its not even worth taking the small stuff there around me. The final straw was when i realized i spent more in fuel than i got back on the final load i took.

4x4_Welder

I did a recycle run over the weekend, expecting around $15 to $20. I about fell over when they gave me $3.60.
Yup. I filled up the back of my box van with old stoves, parts, etc. It was 1400lbs. I got $15.

On the plus side, the cost of materials I had already quoted out for a project was cut by almost half.

Bart

I took a load down that would have pulled $20+last year and got $3,75. Prices have dropped significantly.

Brad J

... On the plus side, the cost of materials I had already quoted out for a project was cut by almost half.

I called MetalMart in Lehi and got some quotes on replacing my wood deck with Diamond Plate on my car hauler. I asked if prices were lower right now and they said not really.

SnwMnkys

I called MetalMart in Lehi and got some quotes on replacing my wood deck with Diamond Plate on my car hauler. I asked if prices were lower right now and they said not really.

Were you doing aluminum tread brite diamond plate or steel diamond plate? What were the prices? Id like to do steel on my tilt deck.

Brad J

Were you doing aluminum tread brite diamond plate or steel diamond plate? What were the prices? Id like to do steel on my tilt deck.
My trailer is a 82" x 20' flat bed that I will dove tail since it is a pain to get cars on and off of it. I will get 4 of the 4'x10' 3/16" Steel Plate at $208.92 & 350 lbs each. 1,200 lbs. total when cut to fit. I will probably add about 20' (90 lbs) of some smaller C- Channel under where wheels will be placed. I will raise all of the C Channel cross members so I can open car doors over the fenders. It will be a big project but so nice to not have to stain and redeck again.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Not that I need another project but the last couple weeks I've considered building another utility style trailer. I hadn't considered it due to metal prices but maybe that is a reason to think about it harder.