Steering Woes 2002 DMax

Bart

For the last few months I've had a peculiar steering problem on my 2002 2500HD., and it is more noticeable when towing. When turning right at speeds over, say, 45 mph, the steering will wander, almost like it's in a turn, and then lets go a bit. It's easy to control, but it's just not right. I had my whole front end and steering box replaced last year so the parts are new. I've never heard of this before. Any thoughts or suggestions ?

RockChucker

My 06 had a weird wander like that and it turned out my front driver unit bearing was totally smoked. I never got it to wobble with the tire off the ground. Wasn’t til the issue didn’t go away after installing new tierods, idler and pitman arms that I found it. I still don’t understand how I didn’t find it when I lifted the tire up. Also strangely didn’t have any weird tire wear issues and the alignment shop didn’t say anything about it being smoked either.

I replaced both unit bearings since they were original and had 150k miles on them

Bart

Thanks. I'll check those out. The truck does have 245k so there could be some wear on them. Last summer I had all of those things done, plus an upgraded, heavy duty steering box installed.