Steering: Stock

Wheels and Tires: 35"x12.50 R18 General Grabber ATx's

Communication:
HAM: ICOM ID-4100A
GMRS: Midland MXT-275

50339992772_aa61145a76_b.jpg

50339837486_bd9a31a3cd_b.jpg

50339148293_f38e96a87c_b.jpg

I've loved my Trooper over the last eight and a half years, but I just got the itch about a month ago to get something new. Even with all the work and upgrades I've done to the Trooper, its still a 26-year old vehicle at heart. I wanted something newer and yes, more comfortable. So yesterday I pulled the trigger on this Armada. These have been on my radar since Nissan started basing them on the global Patrol platform in 2017. Yes, the Infiniti QX56/80 have been based on the Patrol since 2011; but those are just ugly.
Now an Armada is 80% Patrol. In Nissan's infinite wisdom, they deleted the factory locker, tuned the suspension to be more road biased, and didn't include the "Rock, Sand, and Mud" transmission modes. And the good ol'Federal impact standards mean the bumpers are totally different. All that said, the Armada is still a very competent off-road vehicle. And its freaking huge. Globally, the Patrol is a direct competitor to the 200-Series Land Cruiser, but the Patrol is actually slightly larger than that. So for me, who generally enjoys small vehicles like Samurai's and Miata's; its like driving a bus! But boy; its a bus with guts! That 390hp (equivalent to ~6 Samurais, in case you're wondering) and 401 lb-ft of torque MOVES.
So what are my plans with this barge? Well, its more or less going to replace the Trooper as my backcountry adventure vehicle. I'm still teasing out exactly what I want to do and where to get it from. As mentioned, since this isn't fully a Patrol, the aftermarket is a bit scattered. Some Patrol stuff bolts right on, some (like bumpers) do not. And the Armada specific aftermarket seems to just be spinning up. A number of companies have products that are in development right now.
In broad strokes, though, a mild lift (2"-3"), better all-terrain tires, ARB air locker in the rear, rock rails, front and rear bumpers (when they're available), and some interior stuff to make camp life a bit more luxe.
And yes, @bryson, part of the motivation in getting an Armada was because its different from a Land Cruiser. I just can't help myself.

Last edited:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
We are on our second armada. My wife loves it. Ours is almost soley a kid to school mover though there have been a few adventures to the Swell and such with great success.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
258ABF63-F43B-4CAB-B985-4A0618DF3E7B.jpeg
I’ve long hated that the 200 series cruisers are only offered here in the über expensive trim, so when these showed up available to purchase in base level packages I was planning on getting one and going to town. Was so disappointed that Nissan stripped their off road goodies, and there seemed to be nothing in the way of aftermarket support. Which for a trooper guy probably makes you feel right at home, but was a barrier to guys like me who lack talent and depend on bolt-on stuff.

Then Nissan did a few concept vehicles like this, so I might get won over at some point. I’ll be watching your build!

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
We went from a Yukon to an Armada in our kid hauling days and the Armada felt way bigger inside but was easier to park, not sure why. I also love a motor with low rpm torque and the 5.6 is awesome for that. Felt way more powerful than the 6.0 HO in our Yukon.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
View attachment 130840
I’ve long hated that the 200 series cruisers are only offered here in the über expensive trim, so when these showed up available to purchase in base level packages I was planning on getting one and going to town. Was so disappointed that Nissan stripped their off road goodies, and there seemed to be nothing in the way of aftermarket support. Which for a trooper guy probably makes you feel right at home, but was a barrier to guys like me who lack talent and depend on bolt-on stuff.

Then Nissan did a few concept vehicles like this, so I might get won over at some point. I’ll be watching your build!
Ha! Being the oddball vehicle and having to kinda hunt for parts and piece things together strangely appeals to me.
I agree on the LC's. They are an amazing piece of kit, and I did look at them for a minute. But for the age and the miles it just didn't compute. for the same price I paid for a 3-year old Armada with 50k on the clock, you're shopping for a 12-year old LC200 with 200k+ miles. I know Toyota reliability... but at 200k that's a well used vehicle no matter how great the drivetrain is!
Its going to be a fun project for sure. Watch this space, as they say!

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
We went from a Yukon to an Armada in our kid hauling days and the Armada felt way bigger inside but was easier to park, not sure why. I also love a motor with low rpm torque and the 5.6 is awesome for that. Felt way more powerful than the 6.0 HO in our Yukon.
The engine is impressive. I bought this in Wyoming and drove it back. And yeah, hills? What hills? The thing is just so smooth.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Ours is a 2012 and I'm not sure of the gears in it, but our first was an '04 "off road" with 4.10's I believe. That one had way more scoot than our current one has.
I'm interested in beefing up the rear suspension to make it a better tow rig. Thoughts? Internal coil spring airbags?

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Ours is a 2012 and I'm not sure of the gears in it, but our first was an '04 "off road" with 4.10's I believe. That one had way more scoot than our current one has.
I'm interested in beefing up the rear suspension to make it a better tow rig. Thoughts? Internal coil spring airbags?
If your's is a 2012, then its the 1st Gen; which is a different platform than mine. I won't be doing much (if any) towing with this, so I can't really speak to what might improve that. I'm looking into the Calmini 3" kit (yes, I know Calmini's reputation and I personally have been burned by them, but that was 15+ years ago) and the Ironman 1.5" kit.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I put internal air bags in mine and towed a 21' toy hauler with it a half dozen times. The C rated tires where my biggest worry.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Nice pick up Stephen. What kind of mileage are you expecting to get, what about range? Are you aware of anyone local that is wheeling or building one? I'm definitely interested in seeing what you do to and with it.

:cool:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Nice pick up Stephen. What kind of mileage are you expecting to get, what about range? Are you aware of anyone local that is wheeling or building one? I'm definitely interested in seeing what you do to and with it.

:cool:
So far its been 16mpg. Range claims to be 450 miles on a full tank, we'll see how that goes.
I've read on a couple of forums that Fat Bob's Garage in Layton actually has a guy there building a QX variant. I was meaning to call up there today, but work got in the way.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Do the Patrols have IRS also?

I kinda like Armadas (Armadii?), but they sure are fat. But so are 200's, and those can be neat. I look forward to this one for you. :D

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I'm so proud of you Stephen.👏 I'm very much looking forward to this build.

What does the future hold for the Stratotrooper?
Thanks, Bryson! *sniff*

I'd love to hang on to the Trooper, I really would. And aside from the bodywork and paint, I pretty much finished all I set out to do with it in terms of modifications (I was just really bad at taking pictures and updating that thread). But the reality of it is that for 90% of the trips I took the Trooper on, it was overbuilt. Most of the time I'm just out on long dirt roads with an occasional section that requires 4WD and even rarer are the sections that need 4Lo. Sure, its nice to have a vehicle that can tackle trail's in Moab and then turn around and spend days on two track exploring; but that makes it a jack of all trades, master of none. And I have another vehicle that has been sitting for years being neglected that would be a far better platform for the Moab-esq trails (the Samurai).
That's a long way of saying that I'll be selling the Trooper. :D

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I rented a Patrol in Australia last year. Cool vehicle and also huge. I also rented a Mitsubishi Triton diesel: if they brought that here I'd buy it.

We borrowed my BILs 2019 Infinity QX a few days in Texas last year too and I really liked the digital rear view mirror.

Bummer they nixed the rear locker though.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Obligatory first drive through American Fork Canyon:

50367948082_fbf419c4a3_b.jpg

Came in via Midway and just cruised the 085. Made a quick stop at Graveyard Flats, mainly to test out the 4Lo on the small climb at the beginning of the 320. Everything went well. Man, this thing is PLUSH on the bumpy stuff!

That said, AFC from the Z-Turn down to the mouth of the canyon was chaos. This was Sunday night at about 5:30 and I have never seen so many cars. From Tibble down it was an I-5 traffic jam BOTH directions. Just sad.