Stephen's 2017 Nissan Patrol err… Armada

Stephen's 2017 Nissan Patrol err… Armada

Engine: Nissan VK56VD 5.6L V8

Transmission: Stock 7-Speed Automatic

Transfer Case: Stock

Front Axle: Stock

Rear Axle: Stock

Suspension:
Front: Alldogs Offroad Y62-F-M springs, OME 90015 struts, SPC 25560 upper control arms
Rear: Alldogs Offroad Y62-R-M Springs, OME 60084 shocks

Steering: Stock

Wheels and Tires: 35"x12.50 R18 General Grabber ATx's

Communication:
HAM: ICOM ID-4100A
GMRS: Midland MXT-275

50339992772_aa61145a76_b.jpg

50339837486_bd9a31a3cd_b.jpg

50339148293_f38e96a87c_b.jpg

I've loved my Trooper over the last eight and a half years, but I just got the itch about a month ago to get something new. Even with all the work and upgrades I've done to the Trooper, its still a 26-year old vehicle at heart. I wanted something newer and yes, more comfortable. So yesterday I pulled the trigger on this Armada. These have been on my radar since Nissan started basing them on the global Patrol platform in 2017. Yes, the Infiniti QX56/80 have been based on the Patrol since 2011; but those are just ugly.
Now an Armada is 80% Patrol. In Nissan's infinite wisdom, they deleted the factory locker, tuned the suspension to be more road biased, and didn't include the "Rock, Sand, and Mud" transmission modes. And the good ol'Federal impact standards mean the bumpers are totally different. All that said, the Armada is still a very competent off-road vehicle. And its freaking huge. Globally, the Patrol is a direct competitor to the 200-Series Land Cruiser, but the Patrol is actually slightly larger than that. So for me, who generally enjoys small vehicles like Samurai's and Miata's; its like driving a bus! But boy; its a bus with guts! That 390hp (equivalent to ~6 Samurais, in case you're wondering) and 401 lb-ft of torque MOVES.
So what are my plans with this barge? Well, its more or less going to replace the Trooper as my backcountry adventure vehicle. I'm still teasing out exactly what I want to do and where to get it from. As mentioned, since this isn't fully a Patrol, the aftermarket is a bit scattered. Some Patrol stuff bolts right on, some (like bumpers) do not. And the Armada specific aftermarket seems to just be spinning up. A number of companies have products that are in development right now.
In broad strokes, though, a mild lift (2"-3"), better all-terrain tires, ARB air locker in the rear, rock rails, front and rear bumpers (when they're available), and some interior stuff to make camp life a bit more luxe.
And yes, @bryson, part of the motivation in getting an Armada was because its different from a Land Cruiser. I just can't help myself.

Last edited:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
50387995261_8dc124fe48_b.jpg

50388195987_cfd589ce01_b.jpg

Took the Patrol up into the Murdoch Basin area today to get some more dirt under its tires. Drove down to the Duchesne Diversion Dam and then up to Echo Lake. Nothing extreme, but got to play a little bit with the traction control on a few of the ledges and ruts on the way towards Echo. I have to say, it works really well! With a wheel off the ground, just applying a little throttle and sure enough you'd feel the brakes lock up on the wheel in the air a bit and the wheel on the ground would start to grab. Never had anything like that, not quite and satisfying as a locker, but it works!

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Few little things I've done over the past few weeks:

I wanted to convert the 12-volt outlet in the rear of my Armada to provide power whether the key was on or not. Since I am going to be building a platform in the rear to replace the 3rd row seats, I figured I'd just tap into the power for them instead of running new wires all the way back from the battery.

First, I removed the rear seats (obviously):

50403252802_ce08b9132c_b.jpg

You'll have the male end of the 8-pin weather pack that plugs into the rear seats. There is one on each side.

50402395238_3d6a5a0329_b.jpg

Now, you could just lop off the end and extend the power and ground wire all the way up to the outlet, but I wanted to be able to reinstall the 3rd row seats if need be without having to mess with the wiring again. So I went to the local Pick-n-Pull to grab another female 8-pin weather pack. Now, Y62 Armada/QX's are too new to really be showing up in the yards, so I was hoping the the A60 Armada/QX's would have the right connectors on their 3rd row seats. They do not. BUT, behind the interior panel on the rear hatch on the right side IS an 8-pin weather pack of the same design! So I snipped that off. Then I went looking for the right 2-pin connector for the back of the 12-volt outlet. I found it behind the rear outlet on a WD22 XTerra. I went home and spliced everything together:

50403093641_c4ec9a0d5e_b.jpg

Now it was just a matter of fishing it up behind the paneling, unplugging the existing connector and plugging the new one in!

50402395678_66be2e8a12_b.jpg

Now I've got 12-volts in the back whether the key is on or not!

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
The 3rd row seats in the back of the Y62 are annoying. I get it, some people need to haul 7 people. But why couldn't Nissan have designed them to be able to fold FLAT for gods sake!
As with everything on these vehicles, there are plenty of really slick false floor kits in Australia, but none here in the US of A. This evening I built version 1.0 of my own. Pretty simple, really. I got a 4' square piece of particle board and used two of the bolt holes on the cross brace behind where the jack is to line everything up. Then I modified four wall shelving brackets (yes, really) to mount to the 3rd row's four front bolt points and support the front of the floor. Installed four tie down point that I had laying around from an old Samurai project and voila!

50403252362_83a74bcd03_b.jpg

50403253732_77a56a9343_b.jpg

Now, as mentioned this is very much version 1.0! I had a couple trips the past couple of weekends, so I just needed something back there so I could put my fridge in. I'll tinker with this set up a bit more, then use this platform as the template for a much nicer, permanent false floor in the next month or so.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
One of the things that I've played with is engaging the "Snow" mode when in 4-Low to change the engine strategy to retard the throttle response further and engage the traction control sooner. Playing around this past weekend, I can tell you that it makes a noticeable difference! Here is a page out of the Nissan Learning Academy document that explains how the 4WD Mode Selection System works on the Y62 Patrol:

4WD Selector Characteristics.png

Now obviously US Armada/QX's don't have anything but Snow mode, but assuming our Snow mode is the same as the global Y62, 4-Low + Snow = Rock #1 on the chart. That's a pretty dramatic change in the strategy! So while we might not get Rock mode, that's pretty cool!

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Built a fridge slide this weekend so I don't have to climb into the back to get that last beer any more! :D

50561420877_901f7e1741_b.jpg

50561420712_d9c5b83d6c_b.jpg

Salvaged a set of server slides from work and grabbed some aluminium angle. Everything went together easily. Only change I'm going to make is for the tie down's I've ordered a set of Whynter metal handles to replace the plastic ones. They should be here later this week.

Also, as you can see, false floor 2.0 has been installed. I'll be building a drawer on the drivers side in the next few weeks.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Built a fridge slide this weekend so I don't have to climb into the back to get that last beer any more! :D

50561420877_901f7e1741_b.jpg

50561420712_d9c5b83d6c_b.jpg

Salvaged a set of server slides from work and grabbed some aluminium angle. Everything went together easily. Only change I'm going to make is for the tie down's I've ordered a set of Whynter metal handles to replace the plastic ones. They should be here later this week.

Also, as you can see, false floor 2.0 has been installed. I'll be building a drawer on the drivers side in the next few weeks.

The server slides, genius. I have a couple of those laying around.... ideas churning...

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
What's the plans for finishing the false floor (other than the previously mentioned drawer)?
Build the drawer on the drivers side, I'm planning on having it be the same height as the folded rear seat so I can use it as a sleeping platform if I'm so inclined. Behind the fridge I'm going to build a cubby that holds all my recovery gear. On the back edge to the left of the drawer, I think I'll put another power outlet and maybe a couple of USB ports. Then I'll cover the whole thing in some black carpet to make it look less Home Despoty.

The server slides, genius. I have a couple of those laying around.... ideas churning...
Yeah, looking at all the $400 fridge slides out there I thought, "Servers are heavy SOB's..."

The more you post pictures, the more I think I should build an Armada.
You should! As I've said, super impressed thus far. Can't wait to get some sliders, a lift, and some bigger tire on there. The wife says I have to "budget" that, though. Psh, the nerve!:rolleyes:

You should stencil ARB on false floor 2.0.
I think I'd be shunned by the community if I did such a thing!

Last edited: