Street-legal buggys - It Passed!

crosbike

Ok ill check with the inspector if he's cool with a gps. Do you have high and low beam on your headlights? Do they need to be all DOT compliant? Also did they check for the reflective tape or reflectors?

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Bumping the thread since I've been messaging Shane so that I can register my TJ as an OHV (I appreciate his help). The reason to register it as an OHV is that the TJ is rarely driven on the street and never at highway speeds. It is closer to a buggy than a street jeep. Last year it was driven less than 50 miles; most were to the smog check and back.

I went to my local DMV and asked if I could register it as a "full size OHV." The clerk seemed to understand and processed the request. No smog check was required and she gave me an OHV sticker and a month sticker - no plate.

After getting home, I thought more on the lack of a plate, since I see SxS's with plates. I wondered if this is OHV-only, or not. The paperwork accompanying the sticker has the statement "any OHVs operated on the street require insurance" (or something close).

I went back and reviewed the Utah OHV regulations and I do not see where a plate is required.

Any clarification is appreciated. While I do want to drive the jeep on the street some, registering it like a SxS seems the easiest route (if available). If I just got an offroad-only registration, it will probably be fine.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
A 'street legal' OHV must meet street safety requirements (including getting a safety inspection), and would get a plate. You registered as an OHV, not street legal OHV. You can go get a safety inspection, and reregister as street legal.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
A 'street legal' OHV must meet street safety requirements (including getting a safety inspection), and would get a plate. You registered as an OHV, not street legal OHV. You can go get a safety inspection, and reregister as street legal.

I'll go back to the DMV to see if I can fix this.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'll go back to the DMV to see if I can fix this.
Get an inspection first. Any place like Jiffy Lube can do it, just tell them it's for a street legal OHV inspection. Once you get that inspection paper, you can finish the rest at the DMV in one visit.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Do the street legal ohvs require emissions in slc / Utah counties? I did one inspection in 2016 to get mine street legal registered and have had to do nothing since except pay for renewal each year.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
An update to help this thread have pertinent info. Hickey was spot on with getting the inspection done. I got that knocked out Friday. The shop did the standard OHV safety inspection and provided me the form.

Went back to DMV this morning and told them that I wanted a street-legal OHV registration. That required re-titling the jeep as a "full size OHV," but was no problem. Now I have the small motorcycle-sized tag and a street-legal OHV registration. I don't drive it above 45mph, but I'll need to brush up on the OHV street laws. In time, the TJ will become even more of a buggy as I look to improve it.

Thanks again to Shane and Hickey for helping me figure this out.

How often is the safety inspection required?