Jeep Stretch YJ "Might as well" Build

SSR

A couple of years ago I bought a TJ to get into the Offroad scene. It's been a lot of fun, but it's a rather small vehicle for my family and our gear, also the wheelbase doesn't seem ideal for our Offroad adventures. I found myself looking at LJ's and JKU's and the extra room they offer. I debated back and forth on which direction to go, buy one of these vehicles, or stretch my TJ. I decided a stretched TJ was what I wanted, but I just couldn't convince myself to take my TJ under the knife having never done anything like this before. So my thoughts were, get another jeep to cut up, while my jeep is still able to hit the trails with friends.

As I watched for a donor TJ for my project I came across a YJ. This would be the first of many "Might as well" change of plans during this project.

I've been working on it now for about 18 months, I'll post progress pics as I get free time.

IMG_4889.jpg

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Awesome, I have a soft spot for YJ's.... my first 'modern' Jeep was a YJ that I did a SOA on. Looking forward to seeing your build progress!

Bart

I like the direction you're going. I can tell you there will be a lot of planning and a lot of questioning, but in the end it will be all be worth it. I have a thread here somewhere labeled. LTJ. explaining how I cut and stretched a TJ I had. YJ's should be much simpler due to the squared rear wheel tubs. Good luck and have fun.

Reactions: SSR

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I like the direction you're going. I can tell you there will be a lot of planning and a lot of questioning, but in the end it will be all be worth it. I have a thread here somewhere labeled. LTJ. explaining how I cut and stretched a TJ I had. YJ's should be much simpler due to the squared rear wheel tubs. Good luck and have fun.

These should help!

LTJ - https://www.rme4x4.com/threads/stretching-the-tj-finally.78825/

LTJ2 - https://www.rme4x4.com/threads/ltj2.83634/

LJTim

I remember you posting a couple update pics a few months ago on Facebook, and it got my heart pumping. Looking forward to seeing this beauty develop.

SSR

IMG_5716.jpgThe only concrete plans I had at this point is stretch to LJ length, SOA in the front and link the rear. Drivetrain, axles, tire size are yet to be determined.

I went through the possible cut locations and felt cutting just below the step would be best as it provides an extra bit of interior space. Later I realized this is not an ideal location given the linked rear end and tire size I end up running.

Last edited:

SSR

I had a great learning after cutting the tub and frame. The more you brace BEFORE the cut, the less hassle you will have putting it back together. IMG_5738.jpgIMG_5765.jpg

SSR

As I worked on this I looked at several YJ's, asked enough questions to become a nuisance, and grew particularly fond of two local rigs. Glen's "MOAB YJ" and Bart's "YCJ", both performed well and had a great look.

At this point I'm thinking a 5.7 TBI, SOA GM 60 up front, with a linked 14 bolt in the rear.

It didn't take long to track down a GM D60. As luck would have it while I was looking for a good 5.7 TBI motor I happened into a Atlas ll. Yep, a driver drop Atlas to compliment my passenger drop axle. That's what happens when you buy before you think. So I sold the GM D60 and started looking for a Ford axle.

Last edited:

SSR

Came across a 08' F350 D60, I've heard a lot of good about the 05'+ SuperDuty axles, so I picked it up. Now I guess I'm linking the front as well. IMG_1028.JPG

Last edited:

SSR

By now I'm losing interest in the idea of a 5.7 TBI motor and start looking for a 5.3 instead. I probably should have done more research on this before jumping in and buying one. I've since been told the 5.3 oiling system doesn't like off camber or steep inclines unless you run the deep truck pan, but this thing is deep! I've got to do something about it, just not sure what. IMG_1164.JPG

RockChucker

Awesome. There are some things you can do to an F Body pan to make it perform good. I can park on the helldorado waterfall and maintain 20+ psi oil pressure. I think I have a picture somewhere....