Jeep Stretch YJ "Might as well" Build

SSR

Received my 125lb upper springs for the front and got them installed. Ride height looks closer to where I want it now, maybe a little tall, still have the winch and heavy skid that will bring it down some.

Had to cut the hood a bit more to fit over the coilovers, I ordered some Daystar hood pins to keep it down.
IMG_6407.JPG

Started to mock up the recovery points and winch. I was thinking I could recess the winch down into the bumper a bit, as it is the steering box and pitman won't allow it.
IMG_6404.JPG

SSR

I had trouble with cooling when I had my winch blocking radiator airflow. Curious how that works for you. Looks good !
I'm concerned about it as well, I really should have went with the model winch that has the solenoid mounted to the side, just to give me every advantage.

Last edited:

LJTim

That was one of the reasons I went with one that had a detachable noid. I mounted my box inside the bay. It's another $75 in wire, but I'm digging it now. But I probably drive min eon the highway more than you will, so I don't know that it will make a ton of difference for you.

Reactions: SSR

SSR

Big push prior to Winter 4x4 Jamboree to get it ready.

Winch and recovery points finished.
IMG_6439.JPG

My wife found some booster pads for my boys that fit nicely in the PRP seat. Gets their shoulders up in the harness better.
56937423774__3788F644-007B-4696-87AA-AF877D47A20C.JPG

Not enough time to figure out my hydraulic bumps stops so I threw a couple of poly bumps under the frame in front. Still so much to do... but there's no more time, it was time to leave for the event.

SSR

I was really anxious the first morning of the event. Excited to get it on the trail, but couldn't shake the concerns of how it would perform. First day went very well, gaining comfort and confidence with each obstacle. There was a brief period of panic when I cleared a obstacle and a 1/2" lock washer rolled out from under the jeep and down off the ledge, never found where it came from, still hoping it was a spare I dropped during the build process. IMG_6644.JPG

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

LJTim

Having your rig with me on my last 2 days of the event was definitely a highlight. Solid driving both days. And the fact that you pulled off Wall of Doom at all, let alone your second day wheeling it is a huge accomplishment. So fun to watch!! I love the stance, wheelbase, sound of the engine and overall simplicity of the build. Nice work man!

SSR

Having your rig with me on my last 2 days of the event was definitely a highlight. Solid driving both days. And the fact that you pulled off Wall of Doom at all, let alone your second day wheeling it is a huge accomplishment. So fun to watch!! I love the stance, wheelbase, sound of the engine and overall simplicity of the build. Nice work man!
It was a lot of fun! Thanks for showing us the trails, impressive seeing you drive all that stuff without a spotter.

Last edited:

Bart

Glad the rig was solid and you had a good time. It's definitely a great build and you look right at home in there. Congrats.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
The width/height/wheelbase combo is fantastic. Looks awesome on the rocks!

img_6645-jpg.117926

Pics don't get much betterer than that?

SSR

Beginning of March I took it to Moab to help MFFW with a trail project on Metal Masher. The day before the project my wife and I ran the Pickle, it was fun because I talked my wife into driving it through a portion of the trail.
00FDAF53-6D4E-44C0-8CEA-05EBB368B169.jpeg
Metal Masher was wet, so “denied” was the theme on the obstacles but we did get the work project complete.
0B82FE62-3F8F-4DAE-845B-FA0407B74026.jpeg