Stuff like this makes me so sad

SWALLDOG

Oh this bugs the crap out of me. I was reading through some of the comments and someone was calling him out. Not sure if that was you or not but it was pretty awesome. But his last response shows how immature he really is " but it doesn't bother me and it shouldn't bother anyone else either."

At work under a truck

SWALLDOG

The Diesel bros. do this all the time also and it pisses me off. Moab, St. George, Utah lake, always running over crap and not staying on the trail.

At work under a truck

jentzschman

Hum, it appears to me there are several spots where he makes no attempt to drive dry trails. Yes, part of that trail at times can have runoff, but look at the parts where he simply drives in the water when there is dry trail. IDK, guess to me it seems stupid but eh, just me.

SWALLDOG

Oh no for sure. I'm with ya. I think part of the problem is that with the popularity of side by sides it gives people more access to areas that they normally would not and they just don't know how to treat the trails.

At work under a truck

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I'm almost going to disagree that SxS owners don't know how to treat the trails. If fact, I'm willing to bet a large population of them came from the 4x4 world

Tonkaman

I agree that it's not fair to say it's "them" and "us". Personally I'd love to own one if I could afford the price tag. Hopefully that doesn't make me one of "them".

The big problem here is just education. That guy probably has no clue that what he's doing is a real problem. People calling him out on YouTube isn't going to be an effective education either. We have to figure out a better way to get the point across.

Pile of parts

I hate to get into a "sxs vs. jeep" debate but I kind of liken it to when the first generagtion of Rubicons came out. Everybody that wanted to be a jeeper suddenly was. Difference was, none of them had the education on where or how to drive them. Now the sxs popularity has only increased that. With the versatility of the sxs (ability to "crawl" and go fast) they are able to enjoy the obstacles but get bored in the slow parts. Check the width of any sandy area on any trail in Moab against what it was prior to the sxs. Not fair to say that none of them care. More along the lines of a lack of education and not learning that misuse causes closures. Plenty in the jeep crowd guilty of this as well.

ID Bronco

I hate to get into a "sxs vs. jeep" debate but I kind of liken it to when the first generagtion of Rubicons came out. Everybody that wanted to be a jeeper suddenly was. Difference was, none of them had the education on where or how to drive them. Now the sxs popularity has only increased that. With the versatility of the sxs (ability to "crawl" and go fast) they are able to enjoy the obstacles but get bored in the slow parts. Check the width of any sandy area on any trail in Moab against what it was prior to the sxs. Not fair to say that none of them care. More along the lines of a lack of education and not learning that misuse causes closures. Plenty in the jeep crowd guilty of this as well.

I like what you posted here. Good analogy. The mindset that trails only get closed because of abuse is not true. Are trails treated poorly from time to time? Yes, but the forces that want the trails closed no matter what are the ones who decided how to define "abuse" to a trail. There is some common sense involved, and we do need to educate, but don't think for a second that taking care of trails and appeasing the environmental groups, gov't agencies and the like will stop trail closures. It's like so many social issues it's always a moving target, it's never enough until they get 100% of what they want.