Stuper Duty Tranny (4R100) temp gauge install ???

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
The bad news on that is towing usually is for a longer amount of time so it would get hotter more quickly and stay hotter, but hey whatever my cooler keeps mine cool no problem. Plus it only cost my 75 bucks;)

So it gets hot just crusing the flat freeway?

I don't have a rig to pull a trailer with, so I have no idea...

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Fluid in a closed system like that is going to heat up, the larger volume might delay that for a few minutes, but in the end you've got more hot fluid. And more fluid for your pump to move, as well.

I"m with everyone saying BIGGER COOLER. I run the biggest plate-style, or "waffle" coolers that I can get. I've had a couple of the fin/tube style shake to death in use on work trucks. :D

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Fluid in a closed system like that is going to heat up, the larger volume might delay that for a few minutes, but in the end you've got more hot fluid. And more fluid for your pump to move, as well.

I"m with everyone saying BIGGER COOLER. I run the biggest plate-style, or "waffle" coolers that I can get. I've had a couple of the fin/tube style shake to death in use on work trucks. :D

True.. But something like that pan BadCop showed should solve that, no? It should be able to cool that larger reservoir faster than a standard pan with 3 qt's less?

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
Mine's a lever and I LIKE that. :D

ya have a switch, still not taking this 8800 lb rig in the mud, lol.

I was reading last night while looking for a 6.0 cooler, that there are some out there that have set up a small electric water pump and rigged there old cooler to the vented pan to assist noone had numbers to prove it but in thinking about it, it is a pretty smooth idea when you think the water moving through the pans vents wont get any hotter than the ambient of the pan.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
ya have a switch, still not taking this 8800 lb rig in the mud, lol.

I was reading last night while looking for a 6.0 cooler, that there are some out there that have set up a small electric water pump and rigged there old cooler to the vented pan to assist noone had numbers to prove it but in thinking about it, it is a pretty smooth idea when you think the water moving through the pans vents wont get any hotter than the ambient of the pan.

Hmmm... Mine's "only" 7800 lbs with no passengers and nothing in the bed. You'd be surprised where that pig will go, but I really don't risk it getting stuck for the most part. That is a lot of dead weight.

Just a note: My dad had a '01 with the switch. We had a hell of a time getting 4WD to engage a few times. Sold me against the switch.

I'm not too keen on adding yet another fluid to the truck. I'll stick to the air type trans coolers.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
You really can't beat the 6.0 cooler. It is a bolt in mod with some hoses. Oh and Wayne buy a trans pan everything will be jjjjuuusssttt fine;) all I can tell you guys is that the 6.0 cooler dropped my temps signifigantly, I was having to drive slow following goat down to cedar city through scipio etc and it peaked at 185 same with the hill outside st george and cedar in over 100 degree weather. I will take a picture of my spare 6.0 cooler when I get home tonight. And no I'm not looking to sell it lol. The sad thing is I did this about 2 years ago when they were still selling 6.0 ford new and ford had a deal where with every trans problem they put in a new cooler, so all the ford techs were selling the old coolers after they flushed them on ebay for about 20 percent of a new one.